• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Station Improvements & New Ticket Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I quite recently had a problem buying a Leeds to Manchester via Hebden Bridge ticket from the Northern machines at Leeds, the LNWR ones were out of use so I could not purchase from them. When looking at the selection it appeared that the via Hebden Bridge fare was not listed and that the only ones that were listed were the any permitted fare.
As a result of this there was a confrontation on the train by the guard who refused to sell me a ticket that I was actually entitled to as Leeds ticket office was closed and the TVM's that were in operation were not selling me the correct fare.
Sam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Preston Guild

Tidying up work ongoing at Euxton Balshaw Lane with the painting of the handrails on the footbridge and some work on the platform surfaces. Preparations are also underway for what I would guess to be the installation of a ticket machine.

sheff1

Established Member
And what about those technophobes who don't have a mobile phone or digital camera ?

I do own both a mobile and a camera but I carry neither if I am just popping into town. It is not for the passenger to prove that the machine is out of order, it is for Northern to prove that it wasn't.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The latest "improvement" at Batley (still Northern-managed AFAIK despite them only calling once per day) has been the removal of the glazing in the roof of the shelter on P2, including above the stairwell to the subway. Hopefully this will be replaced soon, why they've decided to do this just as the weather is likely to get worse is another thing!

johntea

Established Member
At Starbeck on the York bound platform a TVM has been installed (I don't think there was one on that platform before?), the issue at the moment however being the construction workers have blocked access to it whilst they install a new shelter!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
At Starbeck on the York bound platform a TVM has been installed (I don't think there was one on that platform before?), the issue at the moment however being the construction workers have blocked access to it whilst they install a new shelter!
Just like with the rolling stock refurbishment, it appears increasingly that Northern's left hand doesn't know what its right hand is doing...

nr758123

"Improvements" at Slaithwaite started off with a replacement ticket machine. Installed, worked intermittently.

Then the perfectly serviceable, large shelter on platform 1 and smaller shelter on platform 2 removed in early August.

New ticket machine removed and replaced with a traffic cone.

Framework for new shelter on platform 2 arrived first week in September. Wouldn't fit so it was taken away.

New shelters installed on both platforms. The one on platform 2 is open for use, but it's smaller than the one it replaced and only 7 people can squeeze into it.

New shelter on platform 1 still under construction but it's both shorter and narrower than the one it replaced.

Not sure how these are described as improvements.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
"Improvements" at Slaithwaite started off with a replacement ticket machine. Installed, worked intermittently.

Then the perfectly serviceable, large shelter on platform 1 and smaller shelter on platform 2 removed in early August.

New ticket machine removed and replaced with a traffic cone.

Framework for new shelter on platform 2 arrived first week in September. Wouldn't fit so it was taken away.

New shelters installed on both platforms. The one on platform 2 is open for use, but it's smaller than the one it replaced and only 7 people can squeeze into it.

New shelter on platform 1 still under construction but it's both shorter and narrower than the one it replaced.

Not sure how these are described as improvements.
Things like this make me wonder if Metro/WYPTE/WYITA/whatever they're called this week are involved in the specifications. The improvements done by that body back in the 1990s have stood up pretty well, but were/are probably due for replacement. However in the last 10-15 years their "enhancements" have been very poorly executed. For example the bus stop near my parents' house was fitted with an area of raised kerb to allow step-free access about 12 years ago... within a month, they replaced the shelter with one which blocked the newly raised kerb!

Marton

Work has started on the Esk Valley line. Marton station has recently what looks like a base and cables put in.
It’s finished now.

Given the journey to Boro is 5 minutes it makes me wonder how much longer it will take if you have to buy first.

If there are 7 passengers taking 2 min (when I’ve used these machines that seems about right) each that’s 19 minutes in total.

A certain way to encourage passengers by tripling journey times

bearhugger

It’s finished now.

Given the journey to Boro is 5 minutes it makes me wonder how much longer it will take if you have to buy first.

If there are 7 passengers taking 2 min (when I’ve used these machines that seems about right) each that’s 19 minutes in total.

A certain way to encourage passengers by tripling journey times
Will be interesting to see what happens as some people do turn up just before the train is due, so hopefully they wont miss the train. I hope there will be a few weeks where the guards make allowances for people getting used to the machine and the fact it's there. Going to the station today to do my station adoption duties so will have a look and try to see what range of tickets can be sold, whether you can select the Esk Valley railcard etc.

Killingworth

Established Member
Just experimented with the TVM at Dore & Totley. One of the popular destinations is Manchester Airport. One of the available railcard discounts is Airport staff.

Just shows how versatile they can be if someone has time to do the programming. The airport is also why the free car park is used by long stay users!

Concrete Loz

I'm not sure if this is a common problem, but I recently noticed one of my tickets wasn't dispensed from one of Northern's new TVMs. When I asked a member of staff for help he immediately knew the problem and reached up inside the machine to dislodge a large number of stuck tickets. Sure enough, mine was amongst this stash of tickets. At this point a few bystanders commented they'd had a similar problem during the week but hadn't known how to solve this problem. One bloke said he'd purchased a new ticket to avoid getting a fine or missing his train while he sought help.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Graham Hall

Seaton Carew now has a TVM, neatly placed into the southbound shelter.., problem is not all passengers go into the shelter so some people won't even know it's there. Nothing on the northbound side as yet.

beano900

Chinley now has a fully functioning Northern Rail ticket monolith. Also, some cable trenches being excavated around the station.

agbrs_Jack

What I can only expect to be a second TVM going in at Congleton (likely due to popular demand and the other one constantly running out of tickets). Also new cables across the footbridge (looks like for a new light).
IMG_3545.JPG IMG_3569.JPG

BurtonM

They aren't too bad these new TVMs - they're a bit clunky to use though, and it takes a few too many button presses to buy a ticket IMO.
They seem to be more reliable than whatever the TPE TVM at Stalybridge is, that thing seems to be out of service one day every week.

Spartacus

Established Member
The latest "improvement" at Batley (still Northern-managed AFAIK despite them only calling once per day) has been the removal of the glazing in the roof of the shelter on P2, including above the stairwell to the subway. Hopefully this will be replaced soon, why they've decided to do this just as the weather is likely to get worse is another thing!

You’ll be pleased to hear it’s going back in right now.

skyhigh

Established Member
Fairly major building works have begun at Headingley for the installation of lifts at the station. Lots of vegetation clearance around the station and half the car park is fenced off.

johntea

Established Member
Dread to think how long they'll take to install if they're the same contractors as the ones meant to be installing the new platform shelters across the Northern stations!

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The ticket machine at the top of the overbridge for Platforms 13/14 at Manchester Piccadilly is still not working when I was there at the weekend.
One wonders if it ever will be!
Sam

DanNCL

Established Member
The cables for one of the new TVMs have been installed at Haltwhistle, and iirc also at one of the request stops on the Cumbrian Coast (Harrington?)

Veteran Member
On a less serious note, Shipley has a machine opposite the subway on platform 3/5, an excellent location. Clicking on the Popular Stations tab (on the second screen) brings up - wait for it - every station on the Whitby branch!

PS It offers Promise to Pay on the first screen (I presume they all do now, I haven't been following the thread).

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
On a less serious note, Shipley has a machine opposite the subway on platform 3/5, an excellent location. Clicking on the Popular Stations tab (on the second screen) brings up - wait for it - every station on the Whitby branch!
Popular tickets is now back at Mauldeth Road, after having only had single or Anytime Day Return to Heald Green (and nothing else) on it for weeks.

janb

Carnforth now has a machine on each platform.

Arnside and Cark have one I think? Barrow have 4, and I assume Ulverston would have at least 1 installed. I believe they ran into issues with the town council trying to install one at Grange so that has been delayed. Not sure of the status of the other Furness line stations.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Carnforth now has a machine on each platform.

Arnside and Cark have one I think? Barrow have 4, and I assume Ulverston would have at least 1 installed. I believe they ran into issues with the town council trying to install one at Grange so that has been delayed. Not sure of the status of the other Furness line stations.

Cark didn't when I was last there a few weeks ago, it was just one of those display screen things.

Clip

Established Member
Not sure if it fits in here but they've got a new CIS up at Chorley and its the brightest white i ever did see

From the other thread. It really is quite dazzling in the morning

Status
Not open for further replies.