• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Station Improvements & New Ticket Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You mean a ticket machine then?

No, not a ticket machine. Just a large-screen LCD information panel as has been present for some time at the Furness Line stations. They look rather like a ticket machine (which is why it's rather stupid that the large screen ticket machines don't have a big TICKETS sign on them) but have neither a printer nor a card slot.

One of these (not my photo):
Bentham-Kiosk-2.jpg

Jonny

Established Member
Chester-le-Street has acquired 2 on the southbound platform, claiming to take cash and cards but only a PIN card slot and a contactless point. The contactless is quite awkward though...

palmersears

Established Member
It looks like preparatory work has been done for a ticket machine at New Mills Central. I hesitate in my confidence regarding this as the siting of the initial works are as you go down towards platform 2, just before you can then turn left and cross over the line via the footbridge, and this seems like a decidedly odd place to put a TVM. Then again this is Northern.

They've also finished New Mills Newtown in terms of PIS', a functioning ticket office and automated announcements. Sadly to counteract this they've now turned all the lights off so the entire station is in darkness, and the carpark is an absolute state in terms of potholes.

Killingworth

Established Member
For those who had problems with TVMs suffering from sunstroke the Yorkshire Post seems to have been picking up on the story at Dore & Totley. Reader Richard Morton must be one of very many who have complained to anyone who'd listen, about that machine - Paul Barnfield, Area Manager East for Northern, was able to see it out of order when he visited the station.
Government’s strategy for North has gone off the rails – and the Budget proves it

All those other stations across the north who also had problems with their machines this summer might like to tell Tom Richmond. At Dore & Totley the passing of the seasons has probably done most to solve the problem, but the machine is supposed to be resited as it was put in the wrong place. Too long a story to explain in the YP, or here.

Reference in the paper to a canopy is a potential good news story quite separate from the TVM - a story evolving over the last 3 years with an end promised early in the New Year.

The thought of the Hope Valley Capacity Scheme restoring a second platform remains a dream, with HS2 powering through in 2033 not even at that stage.

pemma

Veteran Member
A new TVM appeared on the Chester bound platform at Plumley a few weeks ago and it's still not live, a second TVM has appeared at Greenbank on the Chester bound platform - I'm not sure if that is live or not, unusually it's been put so the screen is at a 90 degree angle to the track, rather than facing it.

Plumley has more passengers joining trains in the Manchester direction than the Chester direction so the TVM won't be convenient for most passengers. It's also in a place where it might not be visible to someone on the Manchester bound platform looking across to the Chester bound one.

It seems a bit strange Greenbank has received a TVM on the Chester bound platform when Knutsford doesn't have one on the Chester bound platform and the step free access between platforms at Knutsford is 1/4 mile up hill and down hill, I realise Greenbank has no ticket office and Knutsford has one but the usage levels at Knutsford are much higher and a large number of Greenbank users are school/college pupils who are travelling to Greenbank in the morning and away from Greenbank in the afternoon. Then a similar question of why Plumley is getting a TVM before busier stations on the line can also be asked.

thejuggler

I noticed an annoying screen/layout and software issue with the TVM at Leeds yesterday. I needed two adults, one child ticket with a F&F railcard.

Destination and ticket type selected, then the number of tickets you need has to be selected.

2 adults, one child selected. Below this is the Railcards button. Press this, select F&F railcard.

The system then resets the number of tickets required. There is no indication the railcard type has to be selected first and the screen layout suggests it should be done afterwards and using contactless payment can happen very quickly.

I suppose I'll know next time, but it a basic issue which should have been picked up during testing.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm not sure how much testing was done, TBH.

Most European railways have a standard TVM UI. Even Switzerland does despite having many private railways.

It would make sense for RDG to invest in the design and heavy testing of a UI, and for that to be used by every TOC.

pemma

Veteran Member
Report on Granada Reports from Liverpool South Parkway (on the former use of the site not on trains) showed a Northern TVM with an out-of-town message in the background.

pemma

Veteran Member
No, not a ticket machine. Just a large-screen LCD information panel as has been present for some time at the Furness Line stations. They look rather like a ticket machine (which is why it's rather stupid that the large screen ticket machines don't have a big TICKETS sign on them) but have neither a printer nor a card slot.

One of these (not my photo):

You'd think they could use the bottom section for train running information on other routes running through Preston and Lancaster (including non-Northern routes), like the London Underground service updates at Milton Keynes.

agbrs_Jack

Congleton now has two metal poles (one on each platform) in an upside down 'L' shape. I can only assume these are for customer information displays. (About time being the 8th busiest station nationwide with out them)

Attachments

• 88905BB4-39D0-41C9-9448-2AC4BAC2349B.jpeg
    88905BB4-39D0-41C9-9448-2AC4BAC2349B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72

xotGD

Established Member
Platform extension work has commenced at Knottingley.

Just as well, as this morning's 153+155 combo only just had room.

agbrs_Jack

Congleton now has two metal poles (one on each platform) in an upside down 'L' shape. I can only assume these are for customer information displays. (About time being the 8th busiest station nationwide with out them)
Today there are now cables hanging out the top of the pole.

Attachments

• IMG_5116.JPG
    IMG_5116.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 49

pemma

Veteran Member
The changes at Greenbank have gone down badly with both MCRUA and Northwich Town Council. Northern demolished the brick shelter on the Chester bound platform and replaced it with a modern glass and metal shelter around half the size of the original brick shelter without consulting on what they were going to do. Also the CIS from the Chester bound platform disappeared during the works but it has got a new TVM, which hasn't yet been connected up. MCRUA are using the fact the brick shelter was Victorian in their complaint but I think the fact the station has seen a 40% increase in usage in the last five years and that the new shelter is so small is a lot more relevant. If the new shelter was the same size as the old one and was cleaned regularly it would arguably be better for passengers.

Also noticed for some reason both on displays and in automated announcements 'Manchester Piccadilly' has become 'Manchester Picc' I can understand why they'd do that on the baby 2 line CIS displays but why do on all displays and change the voice announcements to Picc instead of Piccadilly as well?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The last time I used Greenbank Station that shelter smelled like it recieved as much use as a toilet as it did a waiting area. I'm actually fairly glad it's gone!

pemma

Veteran Member
The last time I used Greenbank Station that shelter smelled like it recieved as much use as a toilet as it did a waiting area. I'm actually fairly glad it's gone!

The one on the Manchester bound platform remains, it's the one on the Chester bound platform that has gone. I think as a C of E church now occupies the station building it won't be possible for them to try and demolish the one on the Manchester bound platform or if they try they might get a visit from the bishop!

bearhugger

Got off the train at Marton today to see if the Promise To Pay function was in operation (which it was) and noticed that there are what appears to be two small cameras that have been installed in the TVM to the right hand side of the screen and about eye level (I'm 5' 10"). The holes are about 1 cm square and the camera on the right seems to be angled so it views you if you are stood directly in front of the screen and the one on the left seems to be front facing so would get images if you are stood directly in front of the payment facilities.
This wasn't there originally when the machine was installed, and I didn't notice the same at the TVM at Whitby although i was paying more attention to the Promise to Pay function on the screen there.

exesoundtech

So you could talk to someone remotely if you were having issues?
EDIT: That would be handy as I know a work colleague whose kids use the station.

That's exactly the idea. The same TVM supplier have this function on some of their older machines at SWR:

BurtonM

In typical Northern fashion, that camera looks like it was fitted with a chisel.

Are the TVMs made of steel?
Is it treated?

You can see where I'm going.

themiller

upload_2019-1-23_2-38-5.jpegTaken on 15th January during the current relaying work. Silecroft also has a ticket machine which is working but the waiting shelter has disappeared from the up platform so maybe not an improvement!

Last edited:

palmersears

Established Member
It looks like preparatory work has been done for a ticket machine at New Mills Central. I hesitate in my confidence regarding this as the siting of the initial works are as you go down towards platform 2, just before you can then turn left and cross over the line via the footbridge, and this seems like a decidedly odd place to put a TVM. Then again this is Northern.

Said ticket machine went in two weeks later, and had still yet to show any message other than 'Out of service'. Utterly pointless.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Passing through Manchester Victoria this morning and it looked like one of the TVM’s has new software with a completely redesigned layout.
I’ll see if I can get any photos on my way home.
Sam

exesoundtech

Passing through Manchester Victoria this morning and it looked like one of the TVM’s has new software with a completely redesigned layout.
I’ll see if I can get any photos on my way home.
Sam

There is indeed. From what I understand it has more than just a new layout - it's the much suggested "Trainline" TVM selling more than the usual range of tickets, such as Anywhere-to-Anywhere and Advance tickets.

adsteamfan

There is indeed. From what I understand it has more than just a new layout - it's the much suggested "Trainline" TVM selling more than the usual range of tickets, such as Anywhere-to-Anywhere and Advance tickets.
But do they accept railcards? The one at NLW didn't and only allowed purchase of Northern Station destinations (my daughter travels from NLW to EUS twice a week anytime return and can only purchase online unless I drive her to WBQ where she can collect tickets)

exesoundtech

But do they accept railcards? The one at NLW didn't and only allowed purchase of Northern Station destinations (my daughter travels from NLW to EUS twice a week anytime return and can only purchase online unless I drive her to WBQ where she can collect tickets)

I believe so. I'm given to understand that if a WebTIS will sell it, more than likely a TVM with this software will. Way I heard it, if you tell it you have a railcard it will apply the best pricing (i.e. if for a given train it's better value not to use the railcard, it will offer you the cheaper non-railcard ticket first).

Status
Not open for further replies.