• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Steam services on the Settle and Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowMuch?

So no turn up and go at all then? Best we can hope for now are photos?

No.

Part of the 'fun' of the runs this week is that they are scheduled services, so buying tickets and making reservations works like any other services. Including the cheapy all day ranger.

There are several coaches with unreservable sears, but there is also a 'no standing' policy. Which is why we are interested in what will happen on the first northbound run from Skipton at 1045. And perhaps what will happen when it reaches the first stop at Settle.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

roversfan2001

Established Member
This is incorrect. I booked on and reserved a seat on the 17.15 ex Skipton for Thursday at the weekend, and having tried to do so again today, have found it is still possible. Not sure where these scare stories of no reservations left originate from.
Northern did say they were "all but gone" the other day; it's a reasonable assumption to make that they would have all gone by now.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

sprinterguy

Established Member
158795 on he 0947 transpires to be very spacious - I'd guess only about half full
That's surprising, I had assumed that the majority of passengers would be travelling through on the connection from Leeds: Before the other half suggested that she drive, I'd planned an alternate itinerary for our trip tomorrow with this factor in mind.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Northern did say they were "all but gone" the other day; it's a reasonable assumption to make that they would have all gone by now.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

I saw a post that stated there were very limited reservations a week or so ago, so figured they'd have all gone now.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I saw a post that stated there were very limited reservations a week or so ago, so figured they'd have all gone now.

It would be unseful if you could make it a clearer that you are making an assumption rather than posting as if it is fact.

janb

This is incorrect. I booked on and reserved a seat on the 17.15 ex Skipton for Thursday at the weekend, and having tried to do so again today, have found it is still possible. Not sure where these scare stories of no reservations left originate from.

That is the only train left reservable.

LeylandLen

It was mentioned on the "Today" programme on Radio 4, so there's been plenty of publicity.

I also heard it mentioned on Radio 2 @ 7am bulletin and later on Radio Lancashire Seen a video on BBC News website. Assume it will be on local news TV lunchtime and after 6pm .

Iskra

Established Member
Very enjoyable run in the end. Glad it was reservations as it would be chaos with standees. Two TPWS applications on the first run (apparently). The stewards relaxed on the window rules after a bit so I got to listen to Tornado climb out of Garsdale. Also it's an absolutely stunning morning for steam on the S&C. Thanks to Northern, DB, Nemesis, A1 group and Friends of the S&C for laying this on.

mushroomchow

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Travelling up to Skipton tonight to ride the 10:45 and subsequent return from Appleby tonight.

Could somebody give me a shout regarding what crowds were like at Skipton this morning, and more importantly what time I should arrive at the station tomorrow to make sure of a seat? I've pre-booked tickets but they are unreserved, so I'm going to have to join the crush and hope for the best - bricking it that I'll miss out after booking a day off and making a 200-mile round trip from Leicester to do this. :roll:

Been thinking of arriving 90 minutes before (about 9AM) so I can get myself a fry-up, but if anybody thinks I should arrive earlier please say so!

If you spot me on-board, I'll share a beer or two with you. :)

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Crowds weren't too bad this morning at Skipton, a lot quieter than I was expecting.

Cheds

We're going tomorrow afternoon from Appleby. All 7 of us have got reservations back, SIX of us have got reservations down on the 1457. It would be helpful,to know if all the unreserved carriages are full or not this afternoon....

Thanks and enjoy!

I'm travelling on Thursday but went to Gargrave to photograph it this morning and it was incredible how many people were there , I assume Hellifield and Settle would have been really busy too

mushroomchow

Crowds weren't too bad this morning at Skipton, a lot quieter than I was expecting.

That's good to know, although I'd imagine today's media coverage will lead to Wednesday being a busier day, so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Either way, I intend to get to Skipton early and do a bit of spotting before Tornado turns up. To be honest, I'm more worried about guaranteeing my seat on the trip back, because while I'd like to explore Appleby before returning I imagine there'll be a bit of a throng there too. :lol:

LeylandLen

It has just been LIVE on BBC News channel 1516 dep. They say 500 people on train , showed train departing from footbridge looking down on train :well done the cameraman !:D:D:D

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Travelling up to Skipton tonight to ride the 10:45 and subsequent return from Appleby tonight.

Could somebody give me a shout regarding what crowds were like at Skipton this morning, and more importantly what time I should arrive at the station tomorrow to make sure of a seat? I've pre-booked tickets but they are unreserved, so I'm going to have to join the crush and hope for the best - bricking it that I'll miss out after booking a day off and making a 200-mile round trip from Leicester to do this. :roll:

Been thinking of arriving 90 minutes before (about 9AM) so I can get myself a fry-up, but if anybody thinks I should arrive earlier please say so!

If you spot me on-board, I'll share a beer or two with you. :)

Does having prebooked tickets but no reservation guarantee you a seat on the train in an unreserved carriage?

I saw coverage on the BBC1 news at 1pm, then again around 1525 on the BBC News channel. It was at Kirkby Stephen. They said it was running a little late.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Very enjoyable run in the end. Glad it was reservations as it would be chaos with standees. Two TPWS applications on the first run (apparently). The stewards relaxed on the window rules after a bit so I got to listen to Tornado climb out of Garsdale. Also it's an absolutely stunning morning for steam on the S&C. Thanks to Northern, DB, Nemesis, A1 group and Friends of the S&C for laying this on.

Any idea why?

Deepgreen

Established Member
Does having prebooked tickets but no reservation guarantee you a seat on the train in an unreserved carriage?

I saw coverage on the BBC1 news at 1pm, then again around 1525 on the BBC News channel. It was at Kirkby Stephen. They said it was running a little late.

Or 'booked' tickets, unless you booked them before you booked them?

Graeme

There were definitely several spare (I.e. unreserved) seats in reserved coach c coming down from Appleby first thing this morning. A queuing system for those without reservations was in operation at Appleby and at Skipton. Northern had laid on a 158 to take anyone who couldn't get on the first steam service from Skipton up to Appleby: it left at 1111 but obviously no good for those wanting steam haulage. BTP in evidence at stations and on train itself.

Graeme

crehld

Established Member
Looking forward to my trip tomorrow. Looked good going past the kitchen window earlier :) Good to see this has generated lots of media interest!

Bishopstone

Established Member
Saw the BBC news feature.

Lots of greying male passengers 'treating the wife for Valentines Day'. The selflessness of these guys is truly admirable.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Saw the BBC news feature.

Lots of greying male passengers 'treating the wife for Valentines Day'. The selflessness of these guys is truly admirable.

One of the blokes on "Look North" looked less enthused than his missus.

Graeme

Wasnt interviewed by the BBC reporter on the 0825 run this morning, but my wife was just as thrilled to ride behind a steam loco as I was.... Just pure coincidence that it was 14th February :)

Established Member
My partner booked the tickets for the "Tornado" today, it was supposed to be a surprise but she had to tell me in the end as I was looking at booking a day off work to go on it tomorrow (booked today off instead!). We both really enjoyed it, although our baby daughter spent most of both journeys asleep!

It was definitely one of the highlights of my time as enthusiast, if not the highlight. Full credit to all of the people involved in making it happen.

Houghj40

A few observations from the day
Trains from Leeds and Bradford weren't rammed. Having a ticket without reservation does not guarantee a seat but my observation was most got on. The trains tend to set off a little late due to numbers boarding.Some got on at Settle and got off on the return. They had no problems today. There were spare seats even in the reserved carriages.
At Appleby there were taxis ready to take the less fit to the square.I understand they were charging £5 for a trip with up to 4 people. There was a stall with coffee and snacks at Appleby station. There were plenty of places to eat in town
At 1400 the queue at Appleby was relatively short.I believe all were accommodated even when everyone turned up. The carriages were re labelled at Skipton and Appleby so coach A was always behind the engine and unreserved further back.
Thank you to everyone involved especially Northern, S and C, DB and anyone else I should mention it was a fantastic experience. Oh and Thank you to those of you who posted some very useful info.

Last edited:

Crossover

Established Member
Travelled on the 1044 from Skipton and the 1457 from Appleby. From what I saw it seemed a reasonably well organised affair, though I understand some at Skipton will have been frustrated at being left behind on the first northbound run

158795 fulfilled the honours of making the unplanned trip to Appleby meaning that Appleby had arrivals from Skipton at (actual, not booked) 1217, 1242 and 1304! Not sure any of the stations have ever seen so many passengers before

Great to see the number of people out to see the runs, not just on the train but from various lineside locations. Sadly, I have to say, I did spot the occasional person sat on the wrong side of fences/walls/gates

Plenty volunteers onboard too, with the trolley plying its usual trade plus representatives both from the Friends of S&C and from the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust who were answering any questions anyone had

mushroomchow

Travelled on the 1044 from Skipton and the 1457 from Appleby. From what I saw it seemed a reasonably well organised affair, though I understand some at Skipton will have been frustrated at being left behind on the first northbound run

158795 fulfilled the honours of making the unplanned trip to Appleby meaning that Appleby had arrivals from Skipton at (actual, not booked) 1217, 1242 and 1304! Not sure any of the stations have ever seen so many passengers before

Great to see the number of people out to see the runs, not just on the train but from various lineside locations. Sadly, I have to say, I did spot the occasional person sat on the wrong side of fences/walls/gates

Plenty volunteers onboard too, with the trolley plying its usual trade plus representatives both from the Friends of S&C and from the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust who were answering any questions anyone had

Very excited for tomorrow now! I'll be looking to get to the station early doors to make sure of my place. Spent this evening getting a feel for Skipton. Massive Game Pie in the Castle pub with a pint of Flying Scotsman! Bliss!

theironroad

Established Member
I have finally found reference to a queueing system being put in place for the unreserved seats. So no, not a scrum..... just a long wait, potentially in the cold.

I didn't know about this until the news today but ironically I was planning to go via the s&c tomorrow from Glasgow to London ( bus Carlisle to Appleby etc) but as I'm more into the scenery than the steam, I've decided to abort it as the crowds on the bus from carlisle, on the platform etc just put me off even though there are still dmu services running.

Don't get me wrong the pics on the BBC news at 6&10 are good and I hope every one enjoys it, but I'll stick to the dmu and I believe it the whole s&c is due to reopen on 31/3.

Status
Not open for further replies.