• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Steam services on the Settle and Carlisle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wellhouse

0849 from Leeds on Wednesday departed about 35% loaded with a fair few more joining at Shipley. Guard asked who was heading for Tornado to notify Skipton.

On arrival at Skipton there was a queue of about 40 for unreserved seats. Very well stewarded, and it looks like they will clear the platforms before admitting passengers later on.

Stewards have to keep checking the queue for 'normal' Leeds and Bradford passengers!

HowMuch?

On platform 2. Queueing for loo. Take any opportunity for a tinkle before you get here!

70014IronDuke

Established Member
0849 from Leeds on Wednesday departed about 35% loaded with a fair few more joining at Shipley. Guard asked who was heading for Tornado to notify Skipton.

On arrival at Skipton there was a queue of about 40 for unreserved seats. Very well stewarded, and it looks like they will clear the platforms before admitting passengers later on.

Stewards have to keep checking the queue for 'normal' Leeds and Bradford passengers!

But i thought the point of this exercise was "We're all normal now!" - or have I misunderstood?

Do you mean regular pax to Bradford, Leeds etc accidentally joined the queues?

wellhouse

But i thought the point of this exercise was "We're all normal now!" - or have I misunderstood?

Do you mean regular pax to Bradford, Leeds etc accidentally joined the queues?

Yes, regular pax were joining the queue.

A beatiful trip from sunny Yorkshire to overcast Cumbria in an unreserved coach immediately behind Tornado's service coach, and it was barely half full. So, plenty of space, plenty of sound and steam, and first dibs from the trolley leaving Skipton (Eden Ale!)

A very pleased-looking Alex Hynes posing for pics by Tornado at Appleby.

Staff advise no need to be early for unreserved seats on the return working to Skipton.

HowMuch?

If it will help anyone on Thursday to plan their visit...

Tornado arrived from Appleby on olatform 2 at about 10:10. More or less on time, I was caught a bit by surprise because it wasn't reported at the previous 2 or 3 Real Time Trains reporting points.

Tornado was leading, tender first, folowed by the diesel then the coaches.

Tornado then ran round and coupled up to the other end, ready to go out funnel first. At about half past it reversed the train out, then came back in at platform 3. It left on time at 10:45.

There was a long queue outside the station for unreserved seats. People with tickets (any tickets) could get straight into the station throgh the other door (and so on to olatform 2)

You could only get to platform 3 if you had a reservation for Tornado (presumably including last minute bookings).

The stewarding was quite firm - but very polite. I had my reservation checked theee times between platform 2 and 3.

The reserved coaches (coach A, anyway) were at the back. Mark 2, apparently (I think of them as the the ones with square knobs on the seat backs).

The volunteer guide in my carriage said that the only reason for the diesel is to provide electric heating to the coaches.

At KS and Appleby, the rear couple of coaches were off the platform. Make your way forward early if you want to get off quick.

There was a catering trolley. Not sure if it had sandwiches. But definitely pop, coffee, beer, crisps, chocolate. Appleby has only a few eateries, choose one early.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Sounds really good. Whilst this was a publicity exercise, so it probably cost more to run than the money recovered from passengers, I do hope it happens again.

I had thought about going but decided in the end I didn't wish to spend money on it. If I'd known all the details 12 weeks in advance, when advanced purchase tickets are on sale from London, I might have done it.

Last edited:

mushroomchow

Lots of people left behind at Skipton due to sheer demand. If you're travelling tomorrow, be advised that you should get there before 9am to have any chance of travel if the numbers are any thing like today.

A lovely trip for those of us who made it onboard - queuing at Appleby for the return now.

Pinch of salt, but the Northern staff here said Tornado has performed so well that, on the off chance they run another in future, they'll be using a MK 1 for stock heating rather than a backup loco. Which is awesome and suggests this may not end up being a one-off.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
There were plenty of seats on the 1715 from Skipton yesterday evening so I would say that's probably the best one to go for if anybody has missed out. There should be no reason why anyone can't make it at all, even though the 1044 yesterday did seem to have left a number behind. The mark 2 coaches are in good condition with nice temperatures inside and no trees growing out of them. Toilets worked and were clean etc. In addition to the trolley service of hot, alcoholic and soft drinks plus snacks there was a later service of ice cream and sandwiches in cool bags that were for sale. I have no idea when / if these can be provided again though! As others have said there was a buffet at Appleby station. I didn't venture into town but instead had a trip on the 158s to Lazonby & Kirkoswald.

Speaking to the staff from the trust, we discovered the Loco is capable of 75mph and applying for approval for 90mph running. Does anyone know if there are any stretches of line north of Skipton where the line speed exceeds 60? Thanks. On the 1044 yesterday it was clear that the driver was going for it as much as possible to recover some of our delay.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
Lots of people left behind at Skipton due to sheer demand. If you're travelling tomorrow, be advised that you should get there before 9am to have any chance of travel if the numbers are any thing like today.

A lovely trip for those of us who made it onboard - queuing at Appleby for the return now.

Pinch of salt, but the Northern staff here said Tornado has performed so well that, on the off chance they run another in future, they'll be using a MK 1 for stock heating rather than a backup loco. Which is awesome and suggests this may not end up being a one-off.
That's great news.

Deepgreen

Established Member

Very good, but it didn't have to await the results of the S&C performance to see how well 60163 performs - a review of the main line runs over the years would have shown how capable it is.

xotGD

Established Member
About to head into Skipton to see what all the fuss is about...

Hope everyone who is travelling is having a great day!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Speaking to the staff from the trust, we discovered the Loco is capable of 75mph and applying for approval for 90mph running. Does anyone know if there are any stretches of line north of Skipton where the line speed exceeds 60? Thanks. On the 1044 yesterday it was clear that the driver was going for it as much as possible to recover some of our delay.

In a word, no.
Stretches of 90 between Leeds and Skipton, but nothing better than 60 onwards.

harz99

If it will help anyone on Thursday to plan their visit...

There was a long queue outside the station for unreserved seats. People with tickets (any tickets) could get straight into the station throgh the other door (and so on to olatform 2)

You could only get to platform 3 if you had a reservation for Tornado (presumably including last minute bookings).

On Tuesday the 0947 from Leeds arrived on platform 4, so anyone on that service was already on platform 3 if they wished...

harz99

I guess the reason the 1044 is oversubscribed is pretty simple really, its the return journey for pax that have come from Appleby and also the outward journey for pax starting at Skipton.

I'm glad I went Tuesday as the formation at 1044 was reserved coach A behind the support coach then BCD etc. so we got as much as you could hear and see in aircon stock, of Tornado working hard. Someone obviously realised that the formation would be much better the other way around for the operation on the day, so on the return at 1457 I was in B which was moved to behind the 67 and coach A at the Skipton end of the train, the best of both worlds I guess.

Heard a lot of chat on the trains about how people would like to see this done again, IMHO once the S&C is up and running with all the freight paths in use again, and a through passenger service to Carlisle I can't see there being enough slots to pull it off. Would be nice but don't think so.

Last edited:

wellhouse

Now back in Skipton, with the return from Appleby wetter and moodier in authentic Pennine style.

Unfortunately pax were left at Skipton this morning, and I understand from senior Northern staff that this was cock-up rather than conspiracy, owing to miscommunication between the crowd control team and the guard, who priortised an on-time departure.

On the 1447 departure from Appleby (9L departure) all unreserved pax were boarded, and there were a few seats to spare. I walked through 2 reseved coaches to find the trolley, and each had 5 vacant seats, not accounted for by people in the vestibules.

For those turning up as Pax or photographers tomorrow, the 67 is at the southern (Skipton) end of the train, with Tornado tender first. Northbound Tornado is in front of the blood & custard service coach.

Unreserved coaches are at the northbound (Appleby) end in both directions, which I believe is change from yesterday.

Northern are clearly managing crowd control to minimise pax waiting on platforms.

Top tip. Pax on the 0949 ex Leeds arrive on Platform 4 at Skipton, adjacent Tornado on Platform 3, and are permitted direct access to the Tornado service to minimise inconvenience for 'normal' through pax. Of course, if too many try this, the system may change. Per my earlier post, the guard on the train from Leeds counted numbers for the Tornado after departing Keighley. Those who loitered on platforms having arrived on earlier services (or having bypassed the queue were cleared from the station before Tornado arrived.

A work in progress, so tomorrow may change.

Overall, well done Northern/DB

Last edited:

HowMuch?

No queue at Skipton for tonight's (weds) 1715 northbound and a large number of free seats.

Tornado stopped past the end of the platform 2 on the way in, to get as many coaches as possible onto the platform. So sightseeers waitimg at the 'S' (Leeds) end were having to catch frantic photos as it went past. The clever ones were waitong at the 'N' (Appleby) end to be in the right spot for when the loco ran round to couple up at that end. The best view was probably from patform 3, though (fewer people and a wider field of view across one empty track).

xotGD

Established Member
Great views from the road overbridge to the north of Skipton station. When Tornado pulled the stock in to platform 3 it stopped well past the end of the platform in a perfect position for phots from the bridge.

Maybe next time they can roster a Deltic?

Gone out for this both last night and tonight.

Last night did just a one-way trip to Settle (unit back). Queued up with afew other patient people and we were given priority boarding passes in the form of a pink post-it-note as the man in charge was very grateful we queued.

Tonight I did around trip from Settle where there were plenty people, most of who were just watching.

At Skipton for the 1715, they were queuing in the subway where there was a reservations lane and a no-reservations lane. The non-res's queue was longer than last night, but everyone got on. Both trains were busy, but not full.

Hope it is repeated.

Cheds

My 100th post is on getting home from Appleby tonight!

THE ONLY RUN WHICH HAS BEEN FULL IS THE 1044 from Skipton, on both days. People left behind have had a diesel alternative.

We git the 1457 from Appleby - very busy, but not quite full and then the last run back from skipton, which was only about half full at the A end.

Staff were clearly enjoying themselves. I (unofficially) looked head out of the window to see the fire reflection get back off the smoke going over Ribblehead. A big first.

Kite159

Veteran Member
First stop steam services, next stop regular loco hauled services?

Even if limited to Carlisle - Skipton connecting with either a fast EMU to Leeds, will probably get some additional passengers and media coverage when the line fully reopens. For example the 68 hauled set in Anglia has probably caused a small uplift in passenger numbers

Crossover

Established Member
I'm glad I went Tuesday as the formation at 1044 was reserved coach A behind the support coach then BCD etc. so we got as much as you could hear and see in aircon stock, of Tornado working hard. Someone obviously realised that the formation would be much better the other way around for the operation on the day, so on the return at 1457 I was in B which was moved to behind the 68 and coach A at the Skipton end of the train, the best of both worlds I guess.

It was an odd one as Coach A was at the north end to Appleby yesterday and was at the south on the return. Not that I'm complaining as, having expected to end up at the back in one direction, I was in the leading coach both ways!

Now back in Skipton, with the return from Appleby wetter and moodier in authentic Pennine style.

Unfortunately pax were left at Skipton this morning, and I understand from senior Northern staff that this was cock-up rather than conspiracy, owing to miscommunication between the crowd control team and the guard, who priortised an on-time departure.

On the 1447 departure from Appleby (9L departure) all unreserved pax were boarded, and there were a few seats to spare. I walked through 2 reseved coaches to find the trolley, and each had 5 vacant seats, not accounted for by people in the vestibules.

For those turning up as Pax or photographers tomorrow, the 67 is at the southern (Skipton) end of the train, with Tornado tender first. Northbound Tornado is in front of the blood & custard service coach.

Unreserved coaches are at the northbound (Appleby) end in both directions, which I believe is change from yesterday.

Northern are clearly managing crowd control to minimise pax waiting on platforms.

Top tip. Pax on the 0949 ex Leeds arrive on Platform 4 at Skipton, adjacent Tornado on Platform 3, and are permitted direct access to the Tornado service to minimise inconvenience for 'normal' through pax. Of course, if too many try this, the system may change. Per my earlier post, the guard on the train from Leeds counted numbers for the Tornado after departing Keighley. Those who loitered on platforms having arrived on earlier services (or having bypassed the queue were cleared from the station before Tornado arrived.

A work in progress, so tomorrow may change.

Overall, well done Northern/DB

Yes, I arrived on the 0947 from Leeds and into platform 4 - just stayed put on the island to avoid any problems

The evening train from Skipton on Tuesday didn't have any queuing system within the station at all

Crossover

Established Member
The mark 2 coaches are in good condition with nice temperatures inside and no trees growing out of them. Toilets worked and were clean etc. In addition to the trolley service of hot, alcoholic and soft drinks plus snacks there was a later service of ice cream and sandwiches in cool bags that were for sale.

I was quite impressed at seeing a uniform fleet of coaches - I am far more used to seeing Mk 2 rakes in at least 3 different ex liveries!

mushroomchow

Wonderful day with lovely people, good beer and railway history made. Very few of the more uncouth "bashers" around too - pleasantly surprised at the company on-board.

I was quite impressed at seeing a uniform fleet of coaches - I am far more used to seeing Mk 2 rakes in at least 3 different ex liveries!

It was a bonus, yes - though lots of the more duddery old codgers were moaning about the state of the stock until they got on-board and realised it was actually pretty well kept! :roll:

GWRjake

Being at university in Leeds this was far too good an opportunity to miss, and so I was on the 1715 Skipton-Appleby this evening. I found that as a whole it was all very well managed, and should it happen again I would definitely have another trip! Well done and thank you to all involved :)

Status
Not open for further replies.