• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern STM at Castleford station

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
Great idea Northern, asking to see everyone's tickets and passes when the ticket machine (Which doesn't even accept cash...) is located WITHIN the station! :roll:

I can perhaps understand their presence at somewhere like Bradford Forster Square but stations like Castleford seems ridiculous...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

55z

No great idea. Ticket machines accepting cash are a target for thieves so only card payments and as most people have a payment card it is not too much of a problem. As for Revenue potection people - good as it stops free travel & it is a government instruction. Other small stations having regular revenue protention are Morley, Mirfield, Sowerby Bridge. Some of the revenue protection people collect more money than it cost to pay wages etc so very cost effective and reduces the subsidy .

Clip

Established Member
Great idea Northern, asking to see everyone's tickets and passes when the ticket machine (Which doesn't even accept cash...) is located WITHIN the station! :roll:

I can perhaps understand their presence at somewhere like Bradford Forster Square but stations like Castleford seems ridiculous...

What about the people leaving the station though?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

I've not seen the manual barrier operation at Castleford, but, IIRC, STM have had a manned barrier (at peak times) 'street side' of the ticket office at Salford Central for years and there's very little problem with it, STM direct 'ticketless' passengers straight to the ticket office.

pemma

Veteran Member

They've been standing at the doors between the ticket office and Manchester bound platform at Knutsford for years (since G4S had the contract) despite the only TVM being on the Manchester bound platform. I've been asked to show my ticket when going to the TVM for TOD when I've arrived 5/10 minutes after the hourly service to Manchester has just gone.

The RPIs also frequently don't have portable ticket machines so if someone arrives at the station without a ticket and needs to purchase one they get told to join the queue at the ticket office window.

johntea

Established Member
They can check tickets of people alighting all they want and I approve of that but they've been asking to see tickets of passengers arriving at the unstaffed station which isn't great especially when they don't have their own ticket selling facilities...

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
They can check tickets of people alighting all they want and I approve of that but they've been asking to see tickets of passengers arriving at the unstaffed station which isn't great especially when they don't have their own ticket selling facilities...

As I say, I don't know the arrangement at Castleford, but at Salford Central they also do this and those without tickets are pointed to ticket purchasing facilities, namely the ticket office. This potentially aids Guards because they can know that people have had facilities pointed out to them and if the person could have used them then the full fare is payable.

On the point of the STM staff not having facilities themselves, STM have an agreement not to sell tickets to passengers getting on trains (just to direct them to purchasing facilities). They could, however, issue Failure to Pay notices and Unpaid Fares Notices to those leaving trains.

Gemz91

No great idea. Ticket machines accepting cash are a target for thieves so only card payments and as most people have a payment card it is not too much of a problem. As for Revenue potection people - good as it stops free travel & it is a government instruction. Other small stations having regular revenue protention are Morley, Mirfield, Sowerby Bridge. Some of the revenue protection people collect more money than it cost to pay wages etc so very cost effective and reduces the subsidy .

I've only ever used Morley station once. Revenue protection were checking and selling tickets at the top entrance, but as I arrived by car in the car park, I was free to walk straight onto the platform from the car park and never got bothered about a ticket. Seemed a bit strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.