• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern strike timetables

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnicity4659

Northern have started to publish their timetables for the strike days. https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/travel/timetables

• Saltburn to Darlington, ~9 trains each way TIMETABLE
  • Liverpool to Alderley Edge via Earlestown & Manchester, ~11 trains each way TIMETABLE
  • York to Leeds, ~10 trains each way TIMETABLE
  • Ilkley to Leeds or Bradford, ~21 trains each way TIMETABLE
  • Skipton to Leeds or Bradford, ~22 trains each way TIMETABLE
  • Leeds to Sheffield via Moorthorpe, ~10 trains each way TIMETABLE
  • Bradford Forster Square to Leeds, ~11 trains each way TIMETABLE

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
It appears only Yorkshire and the North East has timetables so far.

Edit: oh I see that you're right there is a Liverpool one.

Does that imply that this is the full extent of the service?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It appears only Yorkshire and the North East has timetables so far.

Edit: oh I see that you're right there is a Liverpool one.

Does that imply that this is the full extent of the service?
It's quite conceivable that that is all they will be operating. It matches with the routes that require fewer signalboxes to be open (which is why I wouldn't expect the Hope Valley, S&C or Cumbrian Coast to be open for instance).

Starmill

Veteran Member
I expected a small number of services between Preston and Manchester too, but yes.

DanNCL

Established Member
Can confirm that no service will run on the Durham Coast line on strike days from any operator, including Metro.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Why is there no dedicated page listing what services are running on strike day? The link provided in the opening post of this thread, and in all Northern publicity, is just the generic timetables page which shows the normal non-strike timetables as well. Anyone looking up their line in that is likely to assume that the strike timetable hasn't been published yet that rather than that nothing is running - so if they've already decided to axe the majority of the network, they really need to clearly and unambiguously tell people this as soon as possible.

I think I'll assume (or maybe hope?) that they're just uploading them gradually. In particular, if signallers are a limiting factor it seems odd to send nothing at all through Stockport which will presumably be open.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Why is there no dedicated page listing what services are running on strike day? The link provided in the opening post of this thread, and in all Northern publicity, is just the generic timetables page which shows the normal non-strike timetables as well. Anyone looking up their line in that is likely to assume that the strike timetable hasn't been published yet that rather than that nothing is running - so if they've already decided to axe the majority of the network, they really need to clearly and unambiguously tell people this as soon as possible.

I think I'll assume (or maybe hope?) that they're just uploading them gradually. In particular, if signallers are a limiting factor it seems odd to send nothing at all through Stockport which will presumably be open.
Stockport requires 5 different grade 7 signalboxes to be open. So I imagine there won't be any services through there at all.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I don't think it's realistic to expect Stockport to be open but I would have expected to see Bolton - Preston open. Who knows. Apart from towards Preston, Liverpool and Manchester Airport no route from Manchester that could be served would justify a service.

skyhigh

Established Member
so if they've already decided to axe the majority of the network, they really need to clearly and unambiguously tell people this as soon as possible.
They did. And we got a whole thread on here about how ridiculous it was they said that.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
They did. And we got a whole thread on here about how ridiculous it was they said that.
They advised "do not travel". They haven't unambiguously said "the only services we will be operating are as follows". Perhaps that will follow, but at the moment I agree that it's a rather disorganised message.

Starmill

Veteran Member
decided to axe the majority of the network, they really need to clearly and unambiguously tell people this as soon as possible.
This has been known for quite some time now. Their choice of wording is:
On strike days there will be extremely limited availability of both train crew and signalling staff and as such we will not be able to operate services on most routes.
Perhaps you're correct to point out that this could be more prominent, but I don't see how it's ambiguous.

py_megapixel

Established Member
No they didn't. They said "do not travel" - which, while accurate I suppose, does not really convey enough information for most people to be able to ascertain what's going on and what alternative plans they should make. They did not say "the vast majority of Northern stations won't see a single train on strike days, and here is a list of the few that will", which is what they really should be doing.

This has been known for quite some time now. Their choice of wording is:

Perhaps you're correct to point out that this could be more prominent, but I don't see how it's ambiguous.
It implies they will be able to operate services on some routes, but unless you dig for it, they haven't stated which routes. It's rather unhelpful.

Geeves

Established Member
When the first message was put out Northern didn't know what (if anything) was going to run. I would say the advice to avoid travelling by train is a good one. Theres a high potential that even the advertised trains will still get cancelled, this is Northern after all.

Thermal

This must be incredibly difficult to produce a reliable plan for. Planners will not know which staff are likely to strike and which will be working.

Even if you just take a best guess at the numbers in work, it would be impossible to know what route, traction and signal box knowledge your staff will have available on the day.

Can anyone involved give any insight into how a plan is actually put together in these circumstances?

Starmill

Veteran Member
the vast majority of Northern stations won't see a single train on strike days
I would argue that this part of the message has come across clearly.

Now, you may very well be unhappy about that but that's a separate matter!

Geeves

Established Member
As far as getting trains off Newton Heath, that wont be happening.

That somewhat thins out the North West services

Starmill

Veteran Member
This must be incredibly difficult to produce a reliable plan for. Planners will not know which staff are likely to strike and which will be working.
Sort of, but once you've understood where you've no route and eliminated those services, plus all routes that don't feed a major town or city, you only have a tiny number of routes left. They've all appeared above, except perhaps Rochdale and Preston / Bolton - Manchester and Wigan - Liverpool.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I would argue that this part of the message has come across clearly.
It might have done a few years ago, but now, thanks to a certain world event, people are used to "do not travel" meaning "we are still running a service for essential journeys but please don't use it unless you have to".

Starmill

Veteran Member
It might have done a few years ago, but now, thanks to a certain world event, people are used to "do not travel" meaning "we are still running a service for essential journeys but please don't use it unless you have to".
You personally may well have a bee in your bonnet about covid messaging but I don't think this is the case generally. The wording, to quote yet again, is "we will not be able to operate services on most routes". Which is both accurate and straightforward...

The Planner

Veteran Member
One would assume this could be to ensure some freight traffic is able to get in/out of Trafford Park.
Its down to not being able to keep Stockport boxes open as noted previously. If the Styals had a number of boxes then Trafford Park would be difficult if not impossible.

wilbers

I've just had a day trip to Settle (great weather for it today), and there were warnings about the strike on the platform information screens.

Went in the S&C museum as well, and saw a poster for a Northern trains strike on a date in May - it didn't specify which year, when would that have been?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hmm do think that Northern would have been better served with a dedicated strike timetable section rather than slotting them into their usual timetable page. By all means put them there but as well not as the only place.

Someone in planning on the Darlington - Saltburn service hasn't spotted that it's the Bishop Auckland - Saltburn services that have the South Bank calls so by running all but one train in the Darlington - Saltburn paths South Bank has no service at all even though there will be passenger services passing through all day. There's one train, the 0755 from Darlington (which would normally be a train from Bishop Auckland) has kept its South Bank call. That's it. One train in one direction.

From a personal point of view this service is actually usable for work purposes. If I dare! :lol:

Last edited:

gc4946

Hmm do think that Northern would have been better served with a dedicated strike timetable section rather than slotting them into their usual timetable page. By all means put them there but as well not as the only place.

Someone in planning on the Darlington - Saltburn service hasn't spotted that it's the Bishop Auckland - Saltburn services that have the South Bank calls so by running all but one train in the Darlington - Saltburn paths South Bank has no service at all even though there will be passenger services passing through all day. There's one train, the 0755 from Darlington (which would normally be a train from Bishop Auckland) has kept its South Bank call. That's it. One train in one direction.

From a personal point of view this service is actually usable for work purposes. If I dare! :lol:

Having checked out Northern's website, I wish there's a dedicated strike timetable page, it's much harder finding out if you don't know which routes are affected or not

liamf656

Don’t they always do this as well? It needs to be a bit more user friendly like other TOCs, I found LNERs within seconds!

Agent_Squash

Established Member
Is there a chance a 195 might be able to make it to the Lakes line? Once it's there, it can shuttle all day (guard depending!)

Is there a chance a 195 might be able to make it to the Lakes line? Once it's there, it can shuttle all day (guard depending!)
I believe the units that work the Windermere services originate from or end up at either Barrow or Newton Heath. Someone has suggested that neither of those places are likely to be available on strike days.

gc4946

Northern have started to publish their timetables for the strike days. https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/travel/timetables

• Saltburn to Darlington, ~9 trains each way TIMETABLE
  • Liverpool to Alderley Edge via Earlestown & Manchester, ~11 trains each way TIMETABLE
  • York to Leeds, ~10 trains each way TIMETABLE
  • Ilkley to Leeds or Bradford, ~21 trains each way TIMETABLE
  • Skipton to Leeds or Bradford, ~22 trains each way TIMETABLE
  • Leeds to Sheffield via Moorthorpe, ~10 trains each way TIMETABLE
  • Bradford Forster Square to Leeds, ~11 trains each way TIMETABLE

Maybe there's more staff available at Leeds to run the services (signalling and depot/traction)
Also appears the Alderley Edge services are avoiding Stockport (going via Styal).
Sorry to find out that North West services so far are badly impacted

Status
Not open for further replies.