• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern talent pool 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechanic2

Does anybody know whether Northern offer a number of different course start dates for driver recruitment? I know this isn't an exact science but a general idea of what has been common in the past.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nigell

Does anybody know whether Northern offer a number of different course start dates for driver recruitment? I know this isn't an exact science but a general idea of what has been common in the past.
Northern run courses in Leeds and Manchester at various times throughout the year depending on company demands and more so depot requirements. If you get offered a start date then it will be a specific date, they do not give you a choice of dates so to speak.
You can always reject the date they offer you and wait for a later date. You wouldn’t be guaranteed though so always best to jump at the chance of any date they offer.
A colleague at work did refuse his first date and got another opportunity but looking back he admits it was silly to gamble and too risky, he was external so was unaware of the risk. Luckily it worked for him as he is a driver.

Last edited:

mechanic2

Thanks for the reply.

If I am successful it may be that I have to do that based on the extremely long notice period my current job requires.

It doesn't make me feel good at all though. I'll need to just wait and see.

LokiB

Has anybody had any updates on future course dates (conductor)? I know there's one starting 7th June but anybody heard of any after that?
Correspondence seems to gmhave gone real quite from HR which is concerning with my time in the pool drawing to a close.

LokiB

Not looking good for me in the pool. Down to the last few weeks so losing all hope tbh.
There's a course starting in August and one at the end of September which I'm not on so think they were my last chance.
It's a learning curve for sure, and hopefully will have that little bit more luck in the future.

mikey H

Hi all, hope everyone is good. I know its been done before but just wanted to see an up to date list of people currently in a talent pool for northern regardless of what the job role is. I have just been currently placed in the talent pool for a conductor role.
Hi, Hope you have more luck than I.
I have been in a talent pool the last two times I had applied for the position as conductor but 9 month came and went and nothing became of it. ( twice )
I even went to Crew and sat an assessment for Driver and again had medical and interview and again in talent pool and AGAIN nothing.
I am beginning to believe its who you know and not what you know as I know a couple who work for Northern who have got family members in, one of whom his Son had just finished School and got a start as a conductor which was one of the jobs that i was in for, What customer service experience he had i don't know but hey there we have it.
So I wouldn't hold your breath my friend. Good Luck anyhow.

Miffa

I got on and I have no influence within the company. It’s just that Northern are pretty much staffed up at the moment. People are staying out with covid and everything. I’m sure it’ll get moving again soon.

Sammyh1234

Hi, Hope you have more luck than I.
I have been in a talent pool the last two times I had applied for the position as conductor but 9 month came and went and nothing became of it. ( twice )
I even went to Crew and sat an assessment for Driver and again had medical and interview and again in talent pool and AGAIN nothing.
I am beginning to believe its who you know and not what you know as I know a couple who work for Northern who have got family members in, one of whom his Son had just finished School and got a start as a conductor which was one of the jobs that i was in for, What customer service experience he had i don't know but hey there we have it.
So I wouldn't hold your breath my friend. Good Luck anyhow.
I have family who work for northern and have been unsuccessful with all my applications however when selecting candidates I’ve been told they don’t see a name, age, gender, race or sexuality so it’s purely based on what’s on your application. Also the recruitment staff are very unlikely to know a majority of people in the company as their roles never cross once they’re employed.

Miffa

It is unbiased selection. I was on a train with a new conductor a few days ago who was in his sixties. It really is just on your ability during the application process.

Status
Not open for further replies.