• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern ticket machines printing incorrect tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

theblackwatch

Established Member
With Northern having introduced Penalty Fares on my local line, today I bought a return ticket online for a journey this evening and collected it from the ticket machine at my local station before travelling. It wasn't until on the return leg that I realised that, rather than print me an 'outward' ticket and a 'return' one, it had in fact given me two outward portions! Has anyone else had this happen to them before?

Fortunately, on my two return legs, the first guard never questioned it (and it was only when he handed it back I spotted that it was a second outward ticket) and on the second service, there was no ticket check.

I guess in future I will check what has been printed, but even if it is wrong, I wouldn't be able to do anything as my station is unstaffed. I did tweet Northern about it, but as I haven't had a reply, I am guessing that the desk is unmanned after 8pm or something.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Were your portions duplicates? Same ticket numbers and other details?

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Perhaps a computer error in the machine then, rather than a printer fault or dispensing someone else's tickets which had become stuck in the hopper.

Not the best, but I have had this fault before.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well know error been around for months , S&B machines I believe

For crying out loud.

Another reason why the railway should lose the right to prosecute.

It simply needs to get its house in order. It is NOT OK to have known errors like this and not to publicise them and what to do. It shows an utter contempt for those affected by them.

najaB

Veteran Member
Another reason why the railway should lose the right to prosecute.

It simply needs to get its house in order. It is NOT OK to have known errors like this and not to publicise them and what to do.
If they were to attempt a prosecution of someone so affected I agree. Until then, as long as passengers aren't inconvenienced then, as the kids would say, no big deal.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
If they were to attempt a prosecution of someone so affected I agree. Until then, as long as passengers aren't inconvenienced then, as the kids would say, no big deal.

Not very user friendly for those passengers who wish to do the right thing. Whilst some will take such things in their stride, others will fret about it.

najaB

Veteran Member
Not very user friendly for those passengers who wish to do the right thing. Whilst some will take such things in their stride, others will fret about it.
Oh, that goes without saying, it's a very poor CX. It isn't, however, the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.