• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern ticket vending machines - covert cameras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Not sure if this has been discussed before. Using a recently installed Northern TVM, I noticed that it has what appears to be a pair of cameras installed. The lenses are visible behind the two small square windows, above the credit card keypad. One of the lenses is looking straight forwards and the other is angled towards the centre of the machine. I was wondering what the purpose of these is, what images are recorded and how the information is used by Northern.

IMG_0740.JPG

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bearhugger

No they’re not looking down on the pin machine. To me, one appea s to be pointing at an angle across the screen so it would get a view of whoever is stood at the machine getting a ticket. The other one seems to point straight out from the machine. I’m fairly sure the machine that was installed at Marton station didn’t have these cameras in when it was originally installed but appeared a couple of weeks later.

syorksdeano

Most cash machines now have cameras, probably something to do with catching those committing fraud of theft

The purpose of the cameras is nothing sinister. The machines much like those on South Western Railway are capable of working with the aid of a remote operator who can assist passengers during ticket purchasing and information provision. As such the cameras are there for that purpose only.

Northern however aren't using the function yet.

Llandudno

Established Member
Is there a requirement for a notice to be posted on the TVM advising the public that there are cameras in operation?

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Is there a requirement for a notice to be posted on the TVM advising the public that there are cameras in operation?

Most stations have some kind of CCTV. Do they need notices around for those cameras? And if so would the notices already around for CCTV be enough to cover the TVM cameras too?

route101

Established Member
One thing about TVMs is as there often left unattened, must be easy for a fraudster to rig the contactless pad or pin pad.

bearhugger

The purpose of the cameras is nothing sinister. The machines much like those on South Western Railway are capable of working with the aid of a remote operator who can assist passengers during ticket purchasing and information provision. As such the camera's are there for that purpose only.

Northern however aren't using the function yet.
Hmm, so there must be a microphone & speakers somewhere on the TVM then for video calling? Will have to have a closer look next time i pass one.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Hmm, so there must be a microphone & speakers somewhere on the TVM then for video calling? Will have to have a closer look next time i pass one.
Looking at OP's photo, I think I can see the speaker (which presumably also has a mic behind that grille) which I've highlighted in green, and the call button, which I've highlighted in grey.
1593434831901.png

Rob_76

Could be useful for identifying vandals too, particularly in unstaffed outlying stations.

Not sure if this has been discussed before. Using a recently installed Northern TVM, I noticed that it has what appears to be a pair of cameras installed. The lenses are visible behind the two small square windows, above the credit card keypad. One of the lenses is looking straight forwards and the other is angled towards the centre of the machine. I was wondering what the purpose of these is, what images are recorded and how the information is used by Northern.

View attachment 80137

scrapy

Established Member
I doubt the camera functions unless the virtual ticket office function is in use. If the images are stored then it may be that any legal notice comes up on the screen, however it may be just a direct video link that isn't recorded. In which case I don't think they need notices for the data protection as no data is stored. (I may be wrong on this)

Trackman

Established Member
my guess- one is for motion detection and the other brightness detection for the screen.

causton

Established Member
S&B have cameras on their newer machines, and lots have speakers and microphones. This is usually for the provision of remote assistance (e.g. Greater Anglia and WMT use this), although I don't think the cameras are used.

TUC

Established Member
As said,like every cash machine has. What's the problem? It prevents fraud and theft. No one can object to that.

northernman

Verified Rep - Northern
Hi, as mentioned the camera is for a video assist feature we are looking at. They are not operational currently. When we do switch that feature on, there will be some branding/statement about it

fgwrich

Established Member
Hi, as mentioned the camera is for a video assist feature we are looking at. They are not operational currently. When we do switch that feature on, there will be some branding/statement about it
They can be quite a clever and helpful system, so it's good to see it slowly being rolled around the network. A Ticket Machine and Help point in one!

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
One thing about TVMs is as there often left unattened, must be easy for a fraudster to rig the contactless pad or pin pad.
Though for any fraud to be a success, the TVM needs to be in working order. The one at Batley has been on the fritz the last three times I've tried to use it!

lyndhurst25

Established Member

Interesting. Is the video element just a bit gimmicky though? Apart from lip–reading passengers, I don't see the advantage over just an audio link.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
As said,like every cash machine has. What's the problem? It prevents fraud and theft. No one can object to that.
It certainly doesn't if they aren't switched on, or if they don't record data.

Have you been reading?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Played with one of these at my local station, nice chap on the other end but as these stations are manned anyway I couldn’t really see the value.

That's intriguing because you would think they would be at unmanned stations only, seems kind of what the design would be useful for

robbeech

Established Member
That's intriguing because you would think they would be at unmanned stations only, seems kind of what the design would be useful for
A generic design that allows people from all stations to contact staff members might be more favourable than having different machines for different purposes. And of course, it would be a notable benefit were the ticket office to be closed one day for whatever the reason, or, if an operator decides that the station is no longer viable as a staffed station (or reduces the hours) which could be the case at some of the smaller ones.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
A generic design that allows people from all stations to contact staff members might be more favourable than having different machines for different purposes. And of course, it would be a notable benefit were the ticket office to be closed one day for whatever the reason, or, if an operator decides that the station is no longer viable as a staffed station (or reduces the hours) which could be the case at some of the smaller ones.

Something like this could become a standard design for everywhere but I wonder if there is a reluctance to employ them at unstaffed stations

Established Member
Something like this could become a standard design for everywhere but I wonder if there is a reluctance to employ them at unstaffed stations
Why would there be a reluctance to use them at unstaffed stations?! Surely that's the whole purpose of them!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Why would there be a reluctance to use them at unstaffed stations?! Surely that's the whole purpose of them!

Vandalism; but I think I've made a typo there somewhere becayse when I posted that it made some sense in my head but re-reading it now it doesn't make as much sense where I was going with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.