• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern timetable plan for May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

The new hourly service to Ormskirk is on now... looks like they are inter working with Colne and Blackpool South trains. As you can't quite do Ormskirk and back in an hour the trains pass a couple of minutes south of Preston. A much needed improvement to this northwards link from Merseyside.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The new hourly service to Ormskirk is on now... looks like they are inter working with Colne and Blackpool South trains. As you can't quite do Ormskirk and back in an hour the trains pass a couple of minutes south of Preston. A much needed improvement to this northwards link from Merseyside.

Not passing at Rufford, then, but on the WCML? Didn't pick up on that, so I guess it's not the same pattern as the 1990s Network NorthWest service.

I wonder if, in that case, singling Rufford station and changing the crossing to AHB or even guard operated will be considered?

Well the tyne valley services are up on RTT for may now. I think the majority of them should be there now for Northern.
Hexham Services (http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/HEX/2018/05/21/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt )

A slight increase in frequency from the current 15 each way between Newcastle and Carlisle to 18. Not quite the doubling (Apparently due December now) that was due, but looks a better spread at first glance.

I note that Sunday’s, nearly all services are listed as Middlesbrough/Whitby/Nunthorpe to Carlisle and vice versa!

Hull - Scarborough improvements seem to be binned. Some extra trains but significant connections missed at Seamer. A new last train from SCA to Hull at 2111 seems a missed opportunity. It would be good to have a train back for those who want to go to a show at, say, 2145. It misses the York train by 8 minutes.
Also an 0535 Hull to SCA empty stock run of 53 miles. Maybe it's time to re-open a crew depot at Bridlington to make operating the line easier.

pemma

Veteran Member
Disappointing the Mid-Cheshire peak time extras haven't been extended to Manchester, considering more Stockport-Manchester paths have been made available to Northern.

Last edited by a moderator:

YorkshireLad

Looks like the Leeds services to Lincoln have been added too but it appears that the extra services between Retford/Worksop to Sheffield has bit the dust?

Bantamzen

Established Member
The 08:32 Leeds to Bradford Forster Square express has been binned. Shame as there were quite a few Shipley to Bradford commuters who used that service.

It also looks like they have re-pathed services terminating at Bradford FS now, with Leeds terminators now forming the next Ilkley, Ilkley terminators forming the next Skipton, & Skipton terminators forming the next Leeds. Plus the Leeds<>Bradford are now all showing as calling at Kirkstall Forge, with the Ilkley services running through to Guiseley as expected.

Edit: Also it looks like there are earlier morning services to and from Ilkley to Bradford, 05:46 to Ilkley & 05:50 from Ilkley to Bradford. As a very early morning riser, this makes me happy as I will definitely use those (especially the latter as it connects with the 06:36 from Shipley to London), and almost makes up for the fact that my Leeds connections at Shipley / Guiseley remain at around 15 mins.

Last edited:

Puffing Devil

Established Member
At Crewe:
- xx:16 (ish) Monday to Saturday: Crewe-Manchester Airport-Manchester Piccadilly extends to Liverpool Lime Street between 0616 and 1616. All the services call at Styal. 1717 and 1817 terminates at Manchester Piccadilly
- xx:42 (ish) Monday to Saturday: Manchester Piccadilly-Manchester Airport-Crewe comes from Liverpool Lime Street between 0742 and 1843 (Crewe arrival times). 1943 arrivals comes from Manchester Piccadilly
- xx:48 (ish) Monday to Sunday: Crewe-Stockport-Manchester Piccadilly. Now runs every day
- xx:00 (ish) Monday to Sunday: Manchester Piccadilly-Stockport-Crewe. Now runs every day

Overall, this does provide better timings from Sandbach, Holmes Chapel and Alderley Edge between them and Crewe/Manchester

It looks like the Crewe-Manchester stopper is also hourly on Sundays - Hurrah!

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...7/0600-2000?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=NT

pemma

Veteran Member
Noticed there's an 08:30 Manchester Piccadilly to Blackpool & Windermere portion working: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y26046/2018/05/21/advanced That seems to be the only direct service between Manchester and Windermere. Given Northern said on their Twitter feed a few weeks back that 195s will be introduced on Chester to Leeds and Manchester Airport to Windermere services at the end of this year, sounds like the idea of 769s running between Manchester and Windermere has been dropped.

The S&C is still oddly timed IMO. Would love to see a proper two-hourly service in both directions. Would still see 8 services each way, leaving from 0600 to 2000 roughly.

Carlisle Deps: 0551, 0824, 1049, 1404, 1450, 1619, 1824 & 2018.

Leeds Deps: 0517, 0748, 0919, 1049, 1318, 1518, 1649 & 1819.

We can only dream of a later departure from Leeds to the North!

Established Member
It looks like the Blackpool to York service has been cut back to go from Preston to Leeds - http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y23027/2018/05/21/advanced
Indeed interesting that Passengers on that route for Blackpool seem to be inconvenienced the most by the current electrification shambles even though they wont actually benefit from it once complete except for presumably getting their through trains back although you do get a through train to Barrow!

pemma

Veteran Member
Indeed interesting that Passengers on that route for Blackpool seem to be inconvenienced the most by the current electrification shambles even though they wont actually benefit from it once complete except for presumably getting their through trains back

Plus they'll get brand new 195s. I'm not sure the average passenger would prefer a 319 (which Liverpool to Blackpool passengers will get) to a 195. If the saloon on the 195 is well insulated it might even be that they provide a quieter travelling environment than a 319, especially in summer.

xtradj

From may 18 the lime st to man airport services go via Warrington. What class will they be in May? 156s?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Having had a look at the 10:32 Blackpool North - Manchester Airport via Wigan NW, I have noticed that Maldeth Road is missing from the local stations south of Manchester Piccadilly (see link below)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y23622/2018/05/21/advanced

Is this an oversight, or is something sinister going on here? Also, this appears to have took over from the present Piccadilly - Airport local shuttle albeit 15 minutes earlier after May.

notlob.divad

Established Member
Having had a look at the 10:32 Blackpool North - Manchester Airport via Wigan NW, I have noticed that Maldeth Road is missing from the local stations south of Manchester Piccadilly (see link below)

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y23622/2018/05/21/advanced

Is this an oversight, or is something sinister going on here? Also, this appears to have took over from the present Piccadilly - Airport local shuttle albeit 15 minutes earlier after May.

It is not sinister, Mauldeth Road will receive calls on both Liverpool Services, (the stopper via Chat Moss) and the Northern Connect via Warrington Central.

SGS

A slight increase in frequency from the current 15 each way between Newcastle and Carlisle to 18. Not quite the doubling (Apparently due December now) that was due, but looks a better spread at first glance.

I note that Sunday’s, nearly all services are listed as Middlesbrough/Whitby/Nunthorpe to Carlisle and vice versa!
The odd Hexham to Battersby and Hexham to Danby services are in again. I thought they were a mistake!

SGS
https://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartstransport

Bovverboy

Established Member
47802 said:
Indeed interesting that Passengers on that route for Blackpool seem to be inconvenienced the most by the current electrification shambles even though they wont actually benefit from it once complete except for presumably getting their through trains back

It doesn't look as they're getting their through trains to Blackburn/Bradford/Leeds/York trains back. As to what they are getting back, one is hourly through trains to Liverpool, which they haven't had for a couple of years or so now, and they will be electrically powered for the first time ever. Whether, from a passenger's viewpoint, a 319 is preferable to, say, a double 156 is arguable, but at least with a 319 they'll be guaranteed a four-car train, whereas with diesel power that isn't necessarily the case, whatever the booked traction might be.
P.S. The Preston to Blackpool section of the present York to Blackpool service looks like it is being replaced by an hourly 319 service, Preston to Blackpool and return.

Plus they'll get brand new 195s.

Who'll get brand new 195s?

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
It doesn't look as they're getting their through trains to Blackburn/Bradford/Leeds/York trains back. As to what they are getting back, one is hourly through trains to Liverpool, which they haven't had for a couple of years or so now, and they will be electrically powered for the first time ever. Whether, from a passenger's viewpoint, a 319 is preferable to, say, a double 156 is arguable, but at least with a 319 they'll be guaranteed a four-car train, whereas with diesel power that isn't necessarily the case, whatever the booked traction might be.
P.S. The Preston to Blackpool section of the present York to Blackpool service looks like it is being replaced by an hourly 319 service, Preston to Blackpool and return.

I believe that is to combat the lack of DMUs as it releases 1 or 2. Will be back to normal once Manchester Preston is finished.

pemma

Veteran Member

The passengers who use the York to Blackpool service will get 195s in 2019.

but at least with a 319 they'll be guaranteed a four-car train, whereas with diesel power that isn't necessarily the case, whatever the booked traction might be.

It's not guaranteed. 2 car DMUs regularly fill in if there's a 319 shortage.

cuccir

Established Member
The odd Hexham to Battersby and Hexham to Danby services are in again. I thought they were a mistake!

Danby and Battersby are curious destinations/start points for services! I wonder if Battersby will now be the lowest usage station that is the start or end point of a service? Am I right in thinking that's because otherwise there'd be units sat not doing much outside Nunthorpe?

RAPC

Looks like Northern have been a bit creative with the Manchester to Preston / Blackpool services. When I saw trains terminating at Buckshaw Parkway in the press release, I feared the worst as a Leyland commuter. Looks like they have added in Leyland stops on Airport services via Wigan as well as revised Piccadilly timings. Not much scheduled for Victoria for anyone heading that way, but fine with connections. Not perfect by any means, but I applaud Northern for their creativity with how they have adapted for this timetable period with the electrification delays.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Moving from xx:00/xx:30 to xx:00/xx:10 and removing potential intermediary stops is a kick in the teeth. It's a downgrade - not an upgrade.
Without a doubt. The new service will be much worse for me, with 46 minute gaps between trains all day where my current longest is 31. For any station other than Manchester Piccadilly or Manchester Airport there is also a reduction in frequency. Not OK at all.

Starmill

Veteran Member
When I saw trains terminating at Buckshaw Parkway in the press release, I feared the worst as a Leyland commuter.
Blackrod and Adlington (Lancs) have had their service to Preston all but withdrawn.

Iskra

Established Member
Danby and Battersby are curious destinations/start points for services! I wonder if Battersby will now be the lowest usage station that is the start or end point of a service? Am I right in thinking that's because otherwise there'd be units sat not doing much outside Nunthorpe?

Surely Heysham Port will still win that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.