• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern train driver apprenticeship - Newcastle (17-09-2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver068

Driver Apprenticeship
Grade:
Driver
Salary: £23,576 - £54,500 per annum

About Northern

We are transforming… and we are on the lookout for smart, forward thinking and motivated people to join us on our journey. You’ll help us to grow our business during this exciting time, shaping rail travel in the North and providing our customers with a service to be proud of.

If this sounds like you, then you’re in the right place. We’ve got lots of great things planned and we need more like-minded people, contributing fresh ideas, passion and commitment to bring our vision to life. You’ll be joining a business that values its people, where hard work is rewarded, and development and progression ensure we retain and attract the very best talent.

Northern plays a vital role in the north of England by connecting tens of thousands of people to work, leisure, education and more every day. Our aim is to connect people to opportunities by providing a reliable and friendly train service. We have made significant progress since we started but there is much more that we want to achieve.

About the Role

Our 2 year Driver Training Apprenticeship Programme comes with a permanent role and an opportunity to play your part in our brand-new future.

As part of our team of highly skilled Train Drivers you’ll be the face of Northern.

It’s about working on the frontline as part of our onboard team and alongside station dispatch and control colleagues to meet performance targets, stick to timetables, and make sure customers enjoy a true Northern experience as they arrive safely at their destinations.

You don’t need previous driving experience as our Apprenticeship Programme offers full Driver Training. You’ll spend your first 16 weeks taking part in classroom based learning in either Leeds or Manchester, followed by a minimum of 2 years training in our depot with our full support as you develop your skills.

About You

We’ll expect 100% commitment from you on this rewarding yet demanding programme, but our Training Team will be with you all the way when it comes to ongoing assessments and knowledge checks.

What’s really important is an ability to stay calm and to think on your feet in sometimes challenging situations. And because you’ll need to work a range of shifts, from the early hours of the mornings until late at night, plus weekends and Bank Holidays, it’s vital that you’re flexible and that you live within 45 minutes drive of our depot.

And don’t forget that our selection process includes safety critical medical assessments that cover general health, vision, hearing, colour vision and drugs and alcohol testing.

In return, you’ll discover brilliant opportunities to grow and progress to management roles in the future. Not to mention amazing perks and benefits like free or discounted travel, employee assistance, generous policies, regular pay reviews and a great pension.

The selection process:

Please apply online, answering all questions fully to demonstrate your suitability to the role.

Applications received will be shortlisted, and successful candidates will be invited to an interview with Northern.

If you meet the standard we’re looking for, you will then be invited to attend a Driver Psychometric Assessment (usually in Doncaster or Manchester). The final stages would include a safety critical medical (covering assessments of general health, vision, hearing, colour vision and drugs and alcohol testing).

Important: Northern reserves the right to close the advert before the published closing date, if high volumes of applications are received. In this situation partially completed applications will not be progressed forward or given extra time to complete

Recently went live today.

Good luck to those who apply.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A460009

Does anyone know if you allowed to have multiple applications for trainee roles with the same toc?

Choochoo_loco

I don’t see why not, you just can’t apply for the same role if unsuccessful within 6 months. It’s not going to look great though come interview time if they know about it. Depending how different the 2 roles your applying for are.

A460009

I already have a live application for the same position but at a different location (although I’ve not heard anything for a number of months), I didn’t know if you were allowed to have more than one ongoing with the same company

Woodstopher86

I applied for this on Thursday, no previous experience within the railways, I just really want a career change. I understand it is so difficult to get into a career in the railways but I just tried to tailor all my experiences in current / previous roles. Fingers crossed!

Choochoo_loco

I already have a live application for the same position but at a different location (although I’ve not heard anything for a number of months), I didn’t know if you were allowed to have more than one ongoing with the same company
I think that should be fine aslong as your within 1 hours drive of both the locations you’ve applied for taking traffic into consideration.

A460009

I applied for Darlington back in March and still waiting to hear so you could be in for a long wait. Best of luck

Choochoo_loco

Usually takes a few months. It’s never a game of speed with Northern. Good luck to everyone. Worth the wait if you get through!

SVDW995

No I haven’t but I’ve heard there was some interviews going ahead before Christmas from another forum.
I’ve not had the rejection email yet but no invitation for interview.
Some people have been invited to interview for Manchester pre-Christmas but I’m in the same boat as you. Good luck to us (and anyone else!) as we wait.

Choochoo_loco

Well after nearly a five months wait mine has changed status to “End of process”.
Good luck to anyone else who has proceeded anywhere with this one.

Owen2323

I passed my DMI and am through to the OPC tests in Leeds next week (2nd and final attempt!)

Status
Not open for further replies.