• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Train driver in Manchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benj10

Just got rejection for my application for train driver for northern at 0120am this morning put my application in on Thursday. Closing date for the job was yesterday. Does this mean should apply earlier? Or perhaps just not a good enough app?

cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Hello mate

That's a pretty swift response from Northern and commiserations to you.

I was rejected a few months ago for a Trainee Train Conductor with Northern and they never actually informed me (and to date I've never had any written confirmation from them) - I only found out by logging onto my account with the Deutsche Bahn site and seeing my application status was altered to 'end of process' which basically means game over!

If you applied on Thursday and the closing date was on Friday - I cannot see this being the reason why the you were rejected. Generally, unless otherwise stated - the deadline time for a closing date is 23.59 - I applied for a job last year and was typing away the application in the evening to get it in before midnight!!!

There could be a few reasons why your application was rejected - did you submit a covering letter? Is your CV up to scratch? Just things to bare in mind for next time.

I've never actually gone for a trainee driving position myself but I know these vacancies attract hundreds of candidates and from reading other people's stories on here, many decent people get rejected like yourself for no obvious reason. Therefore, don't get too down about it.

The fact you got an e-mail at 1am is unusual - the rejection e-mail is a standard one, and having had quite a few along the way I can tell you they are all identical!!! What other forum members have stated is that the paper sift is initially done through a computer system so your application won't have necessarily been read by human eyes. That may explain why you got that dreaded e-mail at such a unGodly hour.

Again, it's quite surprising the fact you've been rejected in less than 48 hours. That must be a record given how slowly the wheels of recruitment turn in the railway industry.

CJ

Commiserations Benj.

I applied and my status still says “application recieved” so, fingers crossed, I’m still in the hunt.

Have you passed any of the OPC tests? That may be where I’ve got an advantage. Rightly or wrongly I didn’t add a covering letter or CV (it may come back to bite me) but I’ve passed all the tests so, if I’m successful, I should go straight to DMI.

Apologies if my remarks sound remotely cocky. I’m still not confident I’ll succeed. Just being ‘matter of fact’ about the process :)

CloudDriver

Commiserations Benj.

I applied and my status still says “application recieved” so, fingers crossed, I’m still in the hunt.

Have you passed any of the OPC tests? That may be where I’ve got an advantage. Rightly or wrongly I didn’t add a covering letter or CV (it may come back to bite me) but I’ve passed all the tests so, if I’m successful, I should go straight to DMI.

Apologies if my remarks sound remotely cocky. I’m still not confident I’ll succeed. Just being ‘matter of fact’ about the process :)
I wonder how many people have actully passed these and are still looking for roles. Just curious, I have seen allot on here.

TheRailMan

Commiserations Benj.

Interesting ... mine says application in process

Benj10

Thanks for the reply guys. Yeah I have done covering letter, cv and reference letter. Put loads of details in my answers.
I have not got through to any tests. This was my first time applying. I am going to keep going and looking for the next opportunity. Good luck to everyone.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
Benji

Perserverence is definately the key here.

I'd keep plugging away and keep your eyes peeled for any future driver vacancies coming up. There's no real consistency to as or when these jobs get advertised - it could be a week or a month before another vacancy appears.

Good luck.

CJ

LimaLlama

Had an application still in process since September, these things are notorious for taking a long time. Just have to be patient until they get in touch, which they will eventually.

richfoz84

Got an email tonight with an interview date of 24th Jan!

Seems like they are starting to look at them now!

Status
Not open for further replies.