• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freds dad

Just the waiting game now, I was contacted within a week of my interview. You shouldn’t have too long to wait.

They said 7 to 10 days but it would be great to hear before Christmas and for it to be good news.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CreamNCookies

They said 7 to 10 days but it would be great to hear before Christmas and for it to be good news.
It was a a week for me to hear my result, and it is a nerve wrecking experience, you'll find yourself checking your emails every other minute.

I've been in the talent pool since May and check my emails on a regular basis.

My fingers are crossed for you lad.

Freds dad

Thanks for crossing your fingers for me and you are right about me checking my emails regularly.

I was asked how much notice I have to give and courses running in late January and February were mentioned.

CreamNCookies

Thanks for crossing your fingers for me and you are right about me checking my emails regularly.

I was asked how much notice I have to give and courses running in late January and February were mentioned.

That is a small glimmer of hope for me there. You only get so long in the talent pool until your application expires and you have to reapply. Puts my mind at ease a bit.

Where did you apply for? (sorry if you have said this before.)

Freds dad

Why would they advertise roles in there are people in the talent pool they could put into place.

I applied for Buxton.

CreamNCookies

Why would they advertise roles in there are people in the talent pool they could put into place.

I applied for Buxton.

Who knows? But i'm still hopeful. I email them every once in a while and get a response along the lines of they are waiting for a course date for me. So i'll just keep every thing crossed for myself.

DJD

I applied for Buxton.
All I would say to you is don’t pin your hopes on them course dates. When I was getting interviewed I asked the question how soon would I be starting and they said that there are courses starting in January so in my head I thought I would be starting in January. That wasn’t to be the case, I have since been told they will be looking at courses starting in Spring but it has to be managed with the needs of the business. Bit of a kick in the teeth tbh because I handed in my notice for my job thinking I was starting a job in January and now I’ve got to find another job in the meantime. Proper done my head in tbh. I really want the job tho so I’m willing to wait. But all I’m saying is don’t make any decisions on your current job until you have a definitive start date.

DJD

I applied for Buxton.
I think it’s because they want conductors but can only train so many up at one time. They must have a backlog of people waiting to be put into roles.

CreamNCookies

All I would say to you is don’t pin your hopes on them course dates. When I was getting interviewed I asked the question how soon would I be starting and they said that there are courses starting in January so in my head I thought I would be starting in January. That wasn’t to be the case, I have since been told they will be looking at courses starting in Spring but it has to be managed with the needs of the business. Bit of a kick in the teeth tbh because I handed in my notice for my job thinking I was starting a job in January and now I’ve got to find another job in the meantime. Proper done my head in tbh. I really want the job tho so I’m willing to wait. But all I’m saying is don’t make any decisions on your current job until you have a definitive start date.

I've been lucky with my current role as they are understanding that I will (hopefully) be transitioning over to work for Northern, and i'll be giving them as much notice as possible.

I have a friend who literally gave in his notice as soon as he was put in the talent pool and had been unable to start with the TOC for several months, and unable to procure a part time job. But he started and is in a much happier place now.

Patience is key I guess.

Freds dad

Having read other peoples experiences on here I know that the course dates and only guidelines and not to be taken too seriously.
If I do get offered a position and pass the medical I would not quit my current role until I had a start date in writing as I don't want to be in a position of being out of work.

CreamNCookies

Having read other peoples experiences on here I know that the course dates and only guidelines and not to be taken too seriously.
If I do get offered a position and pass the medical I would not quit my current role until I had a start date in writing as I don't want to be in a position of being out of work.

That is the way to go.

Petersmith36

I’m guessing I’ll find out tomorrow as that was the final day to do the test. Guess they wait for everyone to do there test first

Freds dad

No news yet but I've just checked the jobs available at Arriva and the job I was interviewed for is advertised again so I'm getting the feeling I've been unsucessful as why would they advertise it again if I had been successful?

CreamNCookies

No news yet but I've just checked the jobs available at Arriva and the job I was interviewed for is advertised again so I'm getting the feeling I've been unsucessful as why would they advertise it again if I had been successful?

Until you get told otherwise, you're in with a chance still.

I passed my interview in May and im in the talent pool for Newcastle.

Brett himself

Hello all!
Thought id give you my times scales, have just passed out and started working trains last week!
I sent off for the job in january... 2 days later i got the email for the test.
Took around a month i then got an invite to interview and group excersise. The interview was with 2 managers normal kina a questions.. what do you know about northern? ( so read up) othet things like give me a time when uou have done etc??
The group exercise they set you a task before intefview mine was look arpund a station n how can we improve. Is a group over around 6 you discuss to a time limit then present to managers.
Took around 3 weeks to get email saying i been sucessfull!!
Then i heard nothing til june when i got a medical invited and a week after the medical fiinaly a start date of september!!

Good luck everyone!! I hope this helps

Monkeyfuzz

I’d also like to give my experience as a qualified conductor. I applied nov 18, testing January, interview feb. Offer March and medical May, started in August, passed out October and completed my routes end nov. I’ve now been out on my own for 3 weeks and it’s worth the wait :)
Good luck

Runner1708

I’d also like to give my experience as a qualified conductor. I applied nov 18, testing January, interview feb. Offer March and medical May, started in August, passed out October and completed my routes end nov. I’ve now been out on my own for 3 weeks and it’s worth the wait :)
Good luck

thank you for this Are you enjoying it?

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
Hi runner can I ask what the online assessments consist of.thanks
https://www.shldirect.com/en/practice-tests

The first two tests in this list - the verbal and numeric reasoning tests. This is the same test provider that Northern use and this is the exact practice material you will be offered before taking them.

There are no other tests, just the two linked above. The interview does not go over the tests.

It's interesting how this opportunity (Northern Trainee Conductor/ Guard) was re-advertised last month before some people from the last time round had had a firm no or yes.

I wonder if it will be a slow/ delayed process with everything going on in the world right now; I guess various people in recruitment could work from home if the plan is to plough on as before as far as possible.

Tbone20

It's interesting how this opportunity (Northern Trainee Conductor/ Guard) was re-advertised last month before some people from the last time round had had a firm no or yes.

I wonder if it will be a slow/ delayed process with everything going on in the world right now; I guess various people in recruitment could work from home if the plan is to plough on as before as far as possible.
I know what you mean but they northern that is seem to keep advertising jobs we shell see

Status
Not open for further replies.