• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Drivers - Newcastle & Darlington (25/03/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Dinenage

I work in the rail industry in the north-east. Giving more away would make me more easily identifiable, and I like to be as anonymous a possible on here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Choochoo_loco

I work in the rail industry in the north-east. Giving more away would make me more easily identifiable, and I like to be as anonymous a possible on here.
Fair enough, just wanted some more info as being an outsider from the railway it’s hard to sometimes get all the facts about jobs until you start. If your a mainline driver maybe you could inbox me ? Thanks

RailLady

Fair enough, just wanted some more info as being an outsider from the railway it’s hard to sometimes get all the facts about jobs until you start. If your a mainline driver maybe you could inbox me ? Thanks
What do you mean it’s hard to get all the facts about the job

Choooochoooo

I had a rejection email 8 days ago. Bit strange as well as I’ve already taken and passed all the assessments to enhanced standard ‍♂️

Heatonmdd

I had a rejection email 8 days ago. Bit strange as well as I’ve already taken and passed all the assessments to enhanced standard ‍♂️
Sorry to hear that. I have long since abandoned trying to understand how HR make their decisions. Hope you have better luck in the future.

Stigy

Established Member
So what? Does that entitle you to a job?
I was wondering the same thing....to put it bluntly, the fact you’ve passed the psychometric testing doesn’t mean anything. I think it helps to an extent, but it’s certainly not “strange” to be rejected at the sifting stage regardless.

dctraindriver

I think there’s a common misconception that just because you’ve passed something at enhanced standard suddenly means you’ve a given to get through another application.

Probably means others have really given their all and upped their game in submitting really good applications thus rendering your application as a computer says no outcome. Nothing strange about the outcome unfortunately for you. I can only imagine the issues of the last 12 months or so have made people really give a lot of thought about their application. Good luck on your next application hope it goes your way.

Choooochoooo

Was this for Newcastle or Darlington?
Darlo

So what? Does that entitle you to a job?
Nope not at all. However as it MAY save the company some money in terms of sending me on the tests then I thought I would have at least got through the sift

I was wondering the same thing....to put it bluntly, the fact you’ve passed the psychometric testing doesn’t mean anything. I think it helps to an extent, but it’s certainly not “strange” to be rejected at the sifting stage regardless.
Correct

I think there’s a common misconception that just because you’ve passed something at enhanced standard suddenly means you’ve a given to get through another application.

Probably means others have really given their all and upped their game in submitting really good applications thus rendering your application as a computer says no outcome. Nothing strange about the outcome unfortunately for you. I can only imagine the issues of the last 12 months or so have made people really give a lot of thought about their application. Good luck on your next application hope it goes your way.
I would love to see what a “really good application” looks like. Also if this logic is applied then you could have someone who would make a tremendous driver (As he/she has the skill set) not even getting through the sift as opposed To someone who wouldn’t even pass the bourdon test but is very clever when it comes to putting together an application.

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
I would love to see what a “really good application” looks like. Also if this logic is applied then you could have someone who would make a tremendous driver (As he/she has the skill set) not even getting through the sift as opposed To someone who wouldn’t even pass the bourdon test but is very clever when it comes to putting together an application.
They have to base their sifting on something, and it makes more sense to do it on the application form, after all, that is what will give the biggest indication as to whether you’d be suitable for the job. Your application has to be exceptional or at least tick all the right boxes. Don’t get me wrong, I strongly believe having passed psychometric assessments is attractive to them, but the application form still has to be of a high enough standard.

Last edited:

dctraindriver

Darlo

Nope not at all. However as it MAY save the company some money in terms of sending me on the tests then I thought I would have at least got through the sift

Correct

When you pass the next sift you’ll no doubt have seen one good enough to pass.

They have to base their sifting on something, and it makes more sense to do it on the application form, after all, that is what will give the biggest indication as to whether you’d be suitable for the. Your application has to be exceptional or at least tick all the right boxes. Don’t get me wrong, I strongly believe having passed psychometric assessments is attractive to them, but the application form still has to be of a high enough standard.
Bang on.

TeaTrain

I passed the tests to ‘enhanced’ twice. The first time was with then Virgin Trains. I then thought that having them would put me in a good position to get a drivers job. So I applied to other Driver roles that popped up for a few years. Each time I failed.

Because my application was not strong compared to other candidates. It took many years of tweaking and getting the application right. It’s a fine art that you never can really get bang on as you have to change it slightly for each TOC in my opinion.

My passes lapsed and had to retake them before landing the role. The company cares about getting the right fit for the business and depot.
It is a regular occurrence for TOCs to put swathes of people through the tests so will not think about saving money at this stage I think.

Driver068

Darlo

Correct

As is the case for every industry not just being a driver.

Just because someone has completed the tests to a Enhanced standard then why should their be a gurantee to progress when there are also other factors to consider during the process.

So what happens if a company can only progress 5 through to the next stage but 8 have done the industry assessments, should they automatically have the given right to progress because they have either paid for the assessment out of their own pocket or under gone them with another TOC.

I am sure from a companies prospective there has to be an equal playing field.

Why would the company save money on an application because they have already passed the assessments when the application may not reach there standard to progress through.

Lately there has been a number of companies who have recruited for Trainee drivers so the competition is fierce. So at all stages for the candidate you have to be at the top of your game and concentrate on that individual process be it the application, interview or assessment not rely on 1 because youve passed that stage of done it before, so as mentioned earlier it does not automatically gurantee you to progress through.

Stigy

Established Member
Also worth bearing in mind that your application could be perfect in every way, but you may not get the job. With often thousands of applicants, there’s likely going to be more suitable candidates than there are spaces at the next stage (or than the company wish to take to the next stage at least).

adam0

A lot of people have the opinion you are wrong to feel the way you do.
My opinion is that it surprises me but not at the same time.
My angle on it, you wasn’t assuming you had every right to the job, you simply stated your surprise at not getting passsed the sift. Train tocs openly admit to wanting people that have the skill set or transferable skills required as well as nts related to the job. They want someone with the right attitude and someone they feel fills all the criteria.
A few tocs I know of do their dmi before psychometric testing.
So if that’s the case then he could have easily passed a sift, dmi interview, and all phycs. So a certain toc has already seen all the things mentioned above, and felt he was suitable and fitted all the criteria.
Let’s face it, most tocs process and ideas in a successful candidate are very alike, maybe just in different order. So why would he not think he would a least make the sift?

dctraindriver

A lot of people have the opinion you are wrong to feel the way you do.
My opinion is that it surprises me but not at the same time.
My angle on it, you wasn’t assuming you had every right to the job, you simply stated your surprise at not getting passsed the sift. Train tocs openly admit to wanting people that have the skill set or transferable skills required as well as nts related to the job. They want someone with the right attitude and someone they feel fills all the criteria.
A few tocs I know of do their dmi before psychometric testing.
So if that’s the case then he could have easily passed a sift, dmi interview, and all phycs. So a certain toc has already seen all the things mentioned above, and felt he was suitable and fitted all the criteria.
Let’s face it, most tocs process and ideas in a successful candidate are very alike, maybe just in different order. So why would he not think he would a least make the sift?

I don’t think they are wrong to think like that, however there’s no harm in pointing out reasons as to why. Is there anything wrong in people doing that? I’ll not say anything else on this subject as it’s taking things off subject.

Driver068

You may have the skill set but you have to also demonstrate by providing examples of your transferable skills in both your application/CV and interview.
No one is saying he is wrong or that beliveing he thinks he has a god given right. Its pointing out that the process is ruthless

Choooochoooo

Nobody has a good given right to a job or to even be put through a sift and at no point did I expect that. Anyone having passed all the tests, which may I add are designed to see if your suitable for the role, should stand a reasonable chance of advancing surely.

DMCtoon

Applied for Newcastle with no response as yet. There seems to be no rhyme, reason, pattern or understanding of the rail industry recruitment methods and processes. Like many, I've applied many times for trainee driver roles over the last 9 years. Sometimes you get a fast response, sometimes it takes months, sometimes they just close the vacancy down randomly. Communication is usually painfully slow or non-existent. I've varied in how far I've progressed. Sometimes an outright rejection, sometimes progressed through certain tests, sometimes been invited to psychometric assessments. The most frustrating part is the complete lack of feedback, so you can learn from previous applications. It takes time and effort to go and apply, and a lot of perseverance to keep doing it. Has to be one of the most frustrating industries to get into!

Choochoo_loco

I received a notification earlier today saying my application is under consideration and currently being screened. That’s the first update I’ve received in over a month. No news is usually good news though!

RailLady

Applied for Newcastle with no response as yet. There seems to be no rhyme, reason, pattern or understanding of the rail industry recruitment methods and processes. Like many, I've applied many times for trainee driver roles over the last 9 years. Sometimes you get a fast response, sometimes it takes months, sometimes they just close the vacancy down randomly. Communication is usually painfully slow or non-existent. I've varied in how far I've progressed. Sometimes an outright rejection, sometimes progressed through certain tests, sometimes been invited to psychometric assessments. The most frustrating part is the complete lack of feedback, so you can learn from previous applications. It takes time and effort to go and apply, and a lot of perseverance to keep doing it. Has to be one of the most frustrating industries to get into!
It is hard to not get feedback. but I guess they have hundreds of people applying for the jobs and its not possible to give feedback.

My advice would be to make sure you answer the application question & not give generic information.

Last edited:

Azuma140

I received a notification earlier today saying my application is under consideration and currently being screened. That’s the first update I’ve received in over a month. No news is usually good news though!
For where

Michael1985

Evening guys

I applied for the Trainee Driver role in Hull for Northern, when it was advertised on January 29th.

I got an email on the 19th April inviting me for interview on the 4th May. If my application is anything to go by, then that’s roughly 10 weeks from the application deadline to getting the invite to interview, so don’t despair if you’ve not heard back yet.

I’m an internal candidate (currently a conductor), who has successfully passed the interview with the DTM’s last July (failed the psychometric), and can tell you that internals and externals get interviewed at the same time. Also, a colleague of mine applied this time around and didn’t get an interview, so it’s definitely not a case that all internal candidates are guaranteed an interview.

Also, I’m reliably informed that Northern are starting to do their psychometric testing in house from now, which may be a reason that applications are taking a bit longer as I don’t think they would start interviewing until the test centre is fully operational.

From experience, once you have an interview, the process moves quite quickly. For example, the last time I interviewed, it was on a Friday morning, I found out on the Monday that I’d passed and then I had my psychometric the week after, so that was a total of 8 working days from interview to psychometric.

Anyway, just thought id share my experience to give some idea of timescale.

Best of luck everyone.

CreamNCookies

Hi all, been away for a while since flopping the LNER interview at the start of the year. Just wanted to take a while to reflect and relax rather than letting the recruitment process get me down.

But managed to secure an interview for Newcastle today. Check your emails/careers accounts incase you have anything.

Rodney

I also received an email inviting me for interview today! It will be my first ever DMI

If anyone could please give any advice on the best threads/resources to help with preperation for a DMI, that would be greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.