• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Drivers - Newcastle & Darlington (25/03/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JP007

Congrats Michael. Does anyone know if it common for people to stay in talent pools for driver roles and not be offered a job within the nine months?

train-safe

Who did you do your tests with?

I only had one test to do (2 hand coordination), and then the MMI. I’ve read some horror stories about the MMI, but I actually found it quite enjoyable, the person interviewing me was really nice too.

Firstly well done on passing you must be delighted!

Secondly when did they change the rule on the computer tests? It had always been if you failed on any one of the three, you had to repeat all three?

CreamNCookies

Secondly when did they change the rule on the computer tests? It had always been if you failed on any one of the three, you had to repeat all three?
Michael1985 was internal, perhaps some tests were performed for a different role they do?

Michael1985

Thanks very much.

I had read that theory somewhere on this forum, it may have been you actually, on another thread, so I clarified that with HR before the test. Their response was that I only resit the parts that I have previously failed and that I had not already sat. I was happy to hear that, obviously

train-safe

Thanks very much.

I had read that theory somewhere on this forum, it may have been you actually, on another thread, so I clarified that with HR before the test. Their response was that I only resit the parts that I have previously failed and that I had not already sat. I was happy to hear that, obviously

Glad tocs are seeing sense and have changed that as its been the case for the last few years, Again congratulations!

Michael1985

Again, thank you.

Yeah, it doesn’t seem logical does it? Especially when you consider that if it’s the paper tests you don’t pass, then you only resit the ones you failed, so why not the same for the computer ones?

Tallpaul1606

Been expecting this .........

Thank you for taking the time to apply to us here at Northern. We are pleased to have received your application for the Train Driver - Newcastle role.

Unfortunately on this occasion, all positions have been filled and the vacancy has now been closed.

Paul_T

Yea me too, came in just now :(

Hello Paul

Thank you for taking the time to apply to us here at Northern. We are pleased to have received your application for the Train Driver - Newcastle role.

Unfortunately on this occasion, all positions have been filled and the vacancy has now been closed.

Please note, due to the high application volumes, we are unable to provide feedback on your application.

We appreciate how disappointing this will be and recommend that the best way for you to find out more about alternative opportunities here is to visit our careers page at www.northernrailway/careers. You can also sign up for a vacancy alert on this site.

Thank you again for your interest in working with us.

Kind regards,

The Northern Recruitment Team
Northern Trains Ltd

leeohp

Hi guys

Had my psychometrics on Tuesday and absolutely buzzing to say that I passed and that I am now in the talent pool awaiting a start date.

Although I applied for Hull, the other three candidates on Tuesday were for Newcastle and were all internal, as was I.

Having spoken to the guys from OPC, I believe that they were testing all day yesterday and today too.
Hi Michael
I'm new to this forum, well done for passing. I sat it in leeds last week for the Hull role, and found out I have passed.

There was myself and one other person from Hull everyone else Newcastle like yourself.

Have you heard any info on if courses are due to ramp up how many drivers they are looking for etc.

Cheers
Lee

Last edited:

skyhigh

Established Member
Hi Michael
I'm new to this forum, well done for passing. I sat it in leeds last week for the Hull role, and found out I have passed.

There was myself and one other person from Hull everyone else Newcastle like yourself.

Have you heard any info on if courses are due to ramp up how many drivers they are looking for etc.

Cheers
Lee
I'd suggest you'll be in for a wait. I know people who passed last summer and are still waiting for a course.

In addition, the latest announcements this week regarding the review and hold on recruitment are bringing a bit of uncertainty. I think they'll probably wait until the dust settles before progressing further people.

DMCtoon

Had the same email as others today sadly: "Unfortunately on this occasion, all positions have been filled and the vacancy has now been closed." Hugely frustrating and demoralising.

Seems to be pot luck as to whether you're one of the lucky few who get their applications looked at first, and then essentially the rest go in the bin without even being looked at.

Shary Bobbins

I got the same email.

Does this mean it wasn't that my application didn't make the grade, its just they didn't need to review it in the end? If so its less help than getting a no in terms of tweaking future applications.

DMCtoon

I got the same email.

Does this mean it wasn't that my application didn't make the grade, its just they didn't need to review it in the end? If so its less help than getting a no in terms of tweaking future applications.
To me, "all positions have been filled and the vacancy has now been closed" means they worked through some applications, got what they wanted and then closed the vacancy without needing to review the rest of the applications. So basically you have to hope your application is near the top of the electronic pile. Seems to happen time and time again. Never any feedback either. Oh well, on to the next one!

Mikecas

I have just received the your application is now being screened, but also received this 5 weeks ago. I applied for darlington anyone else had successful emails for darlington?

RailLady

It means all applications were considered for the role, and not everyone could be selected for interview.
Feedback cannot be given when there are hundreds of roles.

DMCtoon

It means all applications were considered for the role, and not everyone could be selected for interview.
Feedback cannot be given when there are hundreds of roles.
I don't believe in a month of Sundays that they look at every single application. I think it's more likely that they grab some off the top of the pile, and if amongst that group they get what they need, they just chuck out the rest of the applications.

RailLady

I don't believe in a month of Sundays that they look at every single application. I think it's more likely that they grab some off the top of the pile, and if amongst that group they get what they need, they just chuck out the rest of the applications.
your entitled to your opinion on what you believe happened.

A460009

I have just received the your application is now being screened, but also received this 5 weeks ago. I applied for darlington anyone else had successful emails for darlington?
I’m in the same position

JP007

Does anybody know what the current situation with drivers at NCLE is? Hoping that there will a few spots on courses this year but reading between the lines that may be optimistic.

CreamNCookies

Does anybody know what the current situation with drivers at NCLE is? Hoping that there will a few spots on courses this year but reading between the lines that may be optimistic.
I don't think anyone on here will know unless they are directly involved in the process.

A wait and see approach is what i'm doing, but i'm optimistic things are moving.

Michael1985

Hi Michael

Cheers
Lee
Hi Lee

Sorry about the late reply on this.

First of all, massive congratulations on passing. I received an email yesterday from HR asking to me to attend a medical in a fortnight. They haven’t given me a start date, but I assume they have one in mind, should I pass my medical.

If you want to know anything else, then just drop me a private message on here.

Congratulations again.

Michael

I received an email yesterday from HR asking to me to attend a medical in a fortnight. They haven’t given me a start date, but I assume they have one in mind, should I pass my medical.

Congratulations, I’m sure they’ll let you know a provisional start date if you drop them a message :D

Michael1985

Got an email through yesterday with a provisional start date of 13th September. It’s starting to feel real now.

Status
Not open for further replies.