• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern: Trainee Train Driver Course Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennydee

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone new how often Northern run their course's for new trainee train drivers?

Also what is the usual time frame for the recruitment process from when your shortlisted following application stage to starting in the role if successful?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RBSN

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone new how often Northern run their course's for new trainee train drivers?

Also what is the usual time frame for the recruitment process from when your shortlisted following application stage to starting in the role if successful?

Cheers

I've no idea regarding the frequency. I'm assuming at least once a year?

I had my initial interview on the 26th of April and I'm starting on the 25th of July. But that time frame could be different for each applicant.

bennydee

Hi RBSN

Thanks for your reply and congratulations

Can i ask, What was the process following your application? as i understand it if you are shortlisted you have to pass an online 5 min visual comparison test. How long did it take between passing that and then attending the assessment centre?

Did you do your interviews on the same day as the testing?

How long after the testing and interviews did it take to receive the provisional offer of employment?

Cheers

coxxy

At the minute Northern are starting a course per month in both Manchester and Leeds. They have a massive recruitment drive for drivers at the minute.

eveready

Hopefully I've made the cut. Had interview at Manchester end of April passed assessment beginning of June, now waiting very patiently to hear something and don't want to mither HR, as probably swamped.

bennydee

eveready, did you have your interview before the testing stage I was under the impression that you had to pass the testing first then it was interview stage.

How many interviews did you have? was it one by HR and then a managers interview?

Also how long was it from the closing date of the job before you heard you had been shortlisted?

Thanks in advance, just trying to understand the process and time frames

Last edited:

RBSN

Hi RBSN

Thanks for your reply and congratulations

Can i ask, What was the process following your application? as i understand it if you are shortlisted you have to pass an online 5 min visual comparison test. How long did it take between passing that and then attending the assessment centre?

Did you do your interviews on the same day as the testing?

How long after the testing and interviews did it take to receive the provisional offer of employment?

Cheers

This was my process;

Online application
Initial interview with two managers
Sent to Doncaster for a full day of assessments and MMI interview
Medical
Job offer

Hope this helps

bennydee

Thanks RBSN for your insight, helps me to understand the order of things

What was the time frame between each section?

How did you find each stage?

Cheers

RBSN

Thanks RBSN for your insight, helps me to understand the order of things

What was the time frame between each section?

How did you find each stage?

Cheers

I'd say all the stages were 2 to 3 weeks inbetween each other.

Passing the application sift is the hardest part in my opinion. Don't get me wrong the assessment centre creates a little pressure as it's a long day. But passable.

For me passing the medical was the worst bit. Not because I'm unfit or not healthy, but because it's the last stage and a fail here would be devastating.

The Machinist

I'd say all the stages were 2 to 3 weeks inbetween each other.

Passing the application sift is the hardest part in my opinion. Don't get me wrong the assessment centre creates a little pressure as it's a long day. But passable.

For me passing the medical was the worst bit. Not because I'm unfit or not healthy, but because it's the last stage and a fail here would be devastating.

I've got my medical next week...been told not to worry but will be a little nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.