• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Train Driver Recruitment On Hold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolution

Hi all,

I recently applied for a Trainee Train Driver role and received an email yesterday stating that recruitment is currently on hold unfortunately and applications will be picked back up at a later date. Could this be due to Brexit or just coincidence?

Anyone else had the email?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I've not had that email but it's starting to make sense now. There's lots of rumours about regarding northern and TPE. Watch this space

coxxy

They have got drivers courses coming out of their ears at the minute... At a guess they are probably just pausing the recruitment for now to get everyone on courses that are in the process and waiting for start dates. Don't think there are any plans to cancel any recruitment etc right now...

Nick82

Why do people automatically assume when something happens its down to Brexit. Things are not going to change over night plus we are still part of the EU for another two years maybe less from when article 50 has been activated. Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and Darlington have just recruited drivers for forth coming courses for the remainder of the year, there are a shortage of drivers not just within Northern but for other TOC's nationwide. There will still be a need for drivers regardless of the current EU situation.

RBSN

Hi all,

I recently applied for a Trainee Train Driver role and received an email yesterday stating that recruitment is currently on hold unfortunately and applications will be picked back up at a later date. Could this be due to Brexit or just coincidence?

Anyone else had the email?

Which station. Always put your station on a post as there are many that have recruited recently.

katydap

I have just received the same email for the Sheffield trainee driver position.

Nick82

Did any of those who received this email get any other emails before hand regarding a position on a course
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Which station. Always put your station on a post as there are many that have recruited recently.

Have you received one of these emails or are you still on the course in July

katydap

I sent my application off 2 weeks ago just waiting to hear if I had got an interview!

RBSN

Did any of those who received this email get any other emails before hand regarding a position on a course

Have you received one of these emails or are you still on the course in July

Still on the course mate. I've not had an email

JohnChuchu

Good Afternoon,

Apologies for the delay in finding out the outcome for the above position.

Due to unforeseen circumstances we have had to pause briefly our progress on this position, however we are currently going through the sifting process now and will endeavour to be in touch with all regarding outcome as soon as we can.

Best Regards,
Recruitment Team

RBSN

Good Afternoon,

Apologies for the delay in finding out the outcome for the above position.

Due to unforeseen circumstances we have had to pause briefly our progress on this position, however we are currently going through the sifting process now and will endeavour to be in touch with all regarding outcome as soon as we can.

Best Regards,
Recruitment Team

Which station?

Nick82

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming this email is for those who have not conducted either their interviews and assessments so they are at the early stages of there relevant applications. Which makes me think those who are further down the process after interviews and assessments are not included in this current sifting process. Just a punt in the dark I maybe wrong

RBSN

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am assuming this email is for those who have not conducted either their interviews and assessments so they are at the early stages of there relevant applications. Which makes me think those who are further down the process after interviews and assessments are not included in this current sifting process. Just a punt in the dark I maybe wrong

I would think so. I was told by Northern HR that the job is mine, I start on the 25th of July and to hand my notice in. This could change of course!
I emailed HR and the 25th of July course for LEEDS is confirmed as still on and will defiantly be running.

delticdeano74

I have my assessments tomorrow for Sheffield and have not received any email about the above. It does seem like it's in regards to recent applications judging by a previous reply.

Shrimper

Sounds like it applies to Sheffield only as well.

Evolution

I received this email 2 weeks after submitting my application. I'm guessing it's just people early on in the process for the Sheffield and possible the recent Leeds role who've received this, I doubt it will have any bearing on people who've been accepted to attend a course already.

posh

I have my assessments tomorrow for Sheffield and have not received any email about the above. It does seem like it's in regards to recent applications judging by a previous reply.

Hi there mate, good luck with the assessment tomorrow. Can I ask how far in advance you got notification for an assessment in Sheffield and how long ago you had your interview mate? Seems like there are applications for Sheffield from March ongoing and applications to Sheffield who applied a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks in advance

micketh

My e-mail was slightly different from that quoted by RBSN

Thank you for your interest in Northern Rail

Due to unforeseen circumstances we have had to pause briefly our progress on this position, however we will still be progressing into the sifting stage at a later time and will be in touch with all then.

From this, it seems that sifting has not and is currently not going to start. However, it makes clear that this situation is ongoing and that the position has not been withdrawn.

Again, this is for Sheffield in the last round of recruitment.

RBSN

My e-mail was slightly different from that quoted by RBSN

Thank you for your interest in Northern Rail

Due to unforeseen circumstances we have had to pause briefly our progress on this position, however we will still be progressing into the sifting stage at a later time and will be in touch with all then.

From this, it seems that sifting has not and is currently not going to start. However, it makes clear that this situation is ongoing and that the position has not been withdrawn.

Again, this is for Sheffield in the last round of recruitment.

Mine wasn't a generic email. It was a direct email to the woman who's been updating me regarding my position, etc :)

Silv1983

Hi all,

This is nothing to do with Brexit. When the franchised changed hands in April some number crunching was done and projections were made on how many addition drivers would be required to handle the timetable change of December 2017 (extra services etc). Panic stations ensued and a massive recruitment drive was undertaken to start getting bums on seats in the training school. Now that the dust has settled and the first 3 intakes are in full swing - things have calmed down a little and it has bought the company some time to sit back and look again at the numbers. For now, there is no need to spend time and money on interviewing and assessment days when accurate numbers aren't known for how many more drivers are still required. In addition to this, a new depot is opening in Blackburn, and some juggling of drivers is going to happen soon. Until this is in motion - Northern won't know where they need to recruit new drivers - so this is contributing to the halt.
I suspect in a month or 2 things will pick up where they were left off, and the ball will start rolling again. Hope this answers some concerns.

Silv

Dave1980

I've applied for the Blackpool trainee position and haven't received that email as yet. Nor any other communication since the original confirmation of my application. Think the other post may have it right, there are a number of courses starting soon so the HR and recruitment team are probably quite busy.

JohnChuchu

Brexit will affect the franchise. DB which own Arriva Northern is a Germany state owned company which will be affected if Brexit team goes ahead with nationalization of the railway ?????? as promised...They have to review their long term investment plans.

Nick82

No one is saying it won't. It will take two years for any affects to come into place once article 50 is triggered. DB/Arriva have still got an obligation to full fill. DB will not give up the franchise after 2 years with another 7 left to run. There is a lot of uncertainty with the EU referendum, no one really knows how it will or will not effect the UK. Northern need drivers, where there is a supply and demand then they will recruit as and when.
Anyway enough of politics this is not the place lol.
You guys who have received this email I would not worry, why would they put numbers through courses for Leeds, Manchester and Darlington but stop Sheffield and Blackpool. I'm sure you'll be successful at some point but will maybe take longer than we hoped and wished.

delticdeano74

Hi there mate, good luck with the assessment tomorrow. Can I ask how far in advance you got notification for an assessment in Sheffield and how long ago you had your interview mate? Seems like there are applications for Sheffield from March ongoing and applications to Sheffield who applied a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks in advance

Hi mate and thanks.

The assessment is actually at DB Schenker in Doncaster.
I applied In March, had the interview at a Sheffield hotel in
May and got the practice materials about a week after that, then I got an email a fortnight ago giving me date and location of assessments.

posh

Hi mate and thanks.

The assessment is actually at DB Schenker in Doncaster.
I applied In March, had the interview at a Sheffield hotel in
May and got the practice materials about a week after that, then I got an email a fortnight ago giving me date and location of assessments.

Brilliant, sounds great mate - I am a month behind you, applied in March and had interview at beginning of June. Best of luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.