• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Train Driver Roles- Various Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

martin2345uk

Established Member
Gone for this, even though I’ve applied a couple of times with northern before and never get past the initial sift!

baz962

Established Member
Gone for this, even though I’ve applied a couple of times with northern before and never get past the initial sift!

Might have an advantage with the psychometric trsts under the belt now . Good luck Martin.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Might have an advantage with the psychometric trsts under the belt now . Good luck Martin.

Doubt it as they won’t help get through the sift really but hey let’s see what happens :)

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member
Doubt it as them at won’t help get through the soft really but hey let’s see what happens :)

I have heard it said , however I got offered quite a few interviews between passing them and starting with my toc.

Lee0901

I applied for Buxton in November. If I apply for Manchester now will it cancel my Buxton application?

GLENMAYE77

I applied for Buxton in November. If I apply for Manchester now will it cancel my Buxton application?

I don’t know.....I applied for Liverpool in Nov, but have thrown a Manchester application in too.
If they ask me to choose then I’ll stick with the Liverpool one.

GJL9916

Are these trainee or qualified driver positions? Looked like I was too slow if they were trainee as they not listed any more :(

GLENMAYE77

It doesn’t say “Trainee” on the job title. But when you go in the advert it reads as a trainee.

GJL9916

Cheers, I was too busy reading the title than having a read of the description - I would of never spotted it was a trainee position otherwise, thanks for that

I did read at the bottom though . .

"Should you reach the Assessment stage in the Recruitment Process, please note that candidates cannot re-sit the Driver Psychometric Assessment Centre tests within 6 months of the date of any previous assessment. The Driver Assessment centre process can only be completed twice. "

I had an assessment towards the end of August which I passed (stage 1) so was hoping I would be able to take the tests again, I thought it was only if you failed you couldn't take it again? Hopefully by the time it comes to assessment day then it will be 6 months anyway if i'm lucky enough to get to that stage!

GLENMAYE77

If I remember rightly you passed your stage 1 to national standards didn’t you?
If Northern work to a national pass then there would be no need to resit your stage 1 within the 6 months (as you haven’t failed it) but it they require enhanced then you may need to resit so I’d check with them.

Certainly no harm in submitting an app an asking the question.

GJL9916

If I remember rightly you passed your stage 1 to national standards didn’t you?
If Northern work to a national pass then there would be no need to resit your stage 1 within the 6 months (as you haven’t failed it) but it they require enhanced then you may need to resit so I’d check with them.

Certainly no harm in submitting an app an asking the question.

Hi Glenmaye77, yes that's right an overall pass for stage 1, I must be like a stuck record for people to be remembering it haha, I'll definitely get an app in, best do it tonight actually as don't want to risk it being taken off over Christmas! Have a good one mate and cheers

Claudius

Chucked my hat into the ring for the Blackpool one.

Both Liverpool and Manchester are commutable from where I live so am I able to apply for those as well?

Good luck to the others applying. Have a merry Christmas

GJL9916

Chucked my hat into the ring for the Blackpool one.

Both Liverpool and Manchester are commutable from where I live so am I able to apply for those as well?

Good luck to the others applying. Have a merry Christmas

Good luck Claudius & merry Christmas

Marlow

Just applied for Manchester. Not holding my breath but gotta be in it to win it havent you!

Good luck all

GJL9916

Just about to apply for this role and writing the covering letter, just wondering is it a positive for me to mention I have a stage 1 pass to national standard for the psychometric tests? as I am pretty sure they require enhanced pass, so in their eyes I wouldn't of met their requirements. Feels a bit like catch 22!

Marlow

Advice please anyone...?

I noticed a very small mistake in my cover letter after uploading and submitting my application, so i went into the application and deleted the file, thinking it would allow me to upload a new cover letter to the "cover letter" file section. Unfortunately this was not an option (it didn't warn me of this before deleting!) so i had to upload the new cover letter using the "other file" option. it is clearly labelled with my name and cover letter in the title - do you think this will cause any issues? Will the original file still be available to whoever is looking at the applications? Just worried that my application now does not have a cover letter in the correct section and may look incomplete! Probably overthinking it but you never know how these things work... what do you think?

GJL9916

Advice please anyone...?

I noticed a very small mistake in my cover letter after uploading and submitting my application, so i went into the application and deleted the file, thinking it would allow me to upload a new cover letter to the "cover letter" file section. Unfortunately this was not an option (it didn't warn me of this before deleting!) so i had to upload the new cover letter using the "other file" option. it is clearly labelled with my name and cover letter in the title - do you think this will cause any issues? Will the original file still be available to whoever is looking at the applications? Just worried that my application now does not have a cover letter in the correct section and may look incomplete! Probably overthinking it but you never know how these things work... what do you think?

Each time you apply for a job with Northern it saves the covering letters, references and CV to the portal, I was just checking mine and I had 6 covering letters on there and CVs, if you have multiple then at the top you have your 'Preferred' versions. The version you initially applied with will have gone to HR already so don't worry about that, what you have uploaded since can be used for further applications but wont affect your current app in anyway

Marlow

Each time you apply for a job with Northern it saves the covering letters, references and CV to the portal, I was just checking mine and I had 6 covering letters on there and CVs, if you have multiple then at the top you have your 'Preferred' versions. The version you initially applied with will have gone to HR already so don't worry about that, what you have uploaded since can be used for further applications but wont affect your current app in anyway

Ah, ok, thanks!

I can't see where i would change the Cover Letter itself though. It is currently listed on my profile under "Candidate uploaded Other document - preferred" as opposed to "Cover Letter - preferred" - are your 6 CV's listed as other documents or CVs?

Just about to apply for this role and writing the covering letter, just wondering is it a positive for me to mention I have a stage 1 pass to national standard for the psychometric tests? as I am pretty sure they require enhanced pass, so in their eyes I wouldn't of met their requirements. Feels a bit like catch 22!

I'm pretty sure there is a section in the application that asks if you've done the tests before and maybe when you did them. They will check against your NI number to see how you did, so there's no need to mention it separately.

If they like your application then they will progress you to the next stage and if that means redoing some or all of the tests then they will let you know. Don't worry about standard or enhanced results at this stage!

GJL9916

Sorry guys could do with some more help just spent about an hour and half amending my covering letter to suit the role and only have a Mac at home, so its uploaded as a pages document rather than word. Pretty sure this means HR would have to amend the file extension change it from .pages to .doc or something along those lines which with the amount of applicants they'll get wouldn't imagine they will do! Does anyone have an email for Northern Arriva careers? I cant see one on the site, they only email I have is the DB recruitment for a job I applied for at DB, even though they use there DB job portal not sure it will be the same HR

Marlow

Sorry guys could do with some more help just spent about an hour and half amending my covering letter to suit the role and only have a Mac at home, so its uploaded as a pages document rather than word. Pretty sure this means HR would have to amend the file extension change it from .pages to .doc or something along those lines which with the amount of applicants they'll get wouldn't imagine they will do! Does anyone have an email for Northern Arriva careers? I cant see one on the site, they only email I have is the DB recruitment for a job I applied for at DB, even though they use there DB job portal not sure it will be the same HR

Can you save as PDF from pages? I sent mine as pdf's...

Status
Not open for further replies.