• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Train Driver Roles- Various Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

owen306

I applied on March 4th for Manchester Piccadilly and mine is still in progress. On the confirmation email it says they will aim to be in touch in the next 2-4 weeks but not heard nothing yet which is concerning. Do they contact every applicant to let them know either way?

Im not sure! I haven't recieved anything since December. I got in touch with HR and they said they cant feedback on the progress of applications!.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

feaky4

I applied on March 4th for Manchester Piccadilly and mine is still in progress. On the confirmation email it says they will aim to be in touch in the next 2-4 weeks but not heard nothing yet which is concerning. Do they contact every applicant to let them know either way?

I have always heard back so you should can take alot longer then 4 weeks

Matt whitaker

Has anyone heard back from there psychometric assessments whether they passed or didn't pass from last week? I passed all the tests on the day and did the mmi sameday too but not heard whether I passed that yet. Had no idea how it went so I'm kinda guessing the longer it takes the more likely I am that I didn't pass it and just waiting for the unfortunate email to come

owen306

Has anyone heard back from there psychometric assessments whether they passed or didn't pass from last week? I passed all the tests on the day and did the mmi sameday too but not heard whether I passed that yet. Had no idea how it went so I'm kinda guessing the longer it takes the more likely I am that I didn't pass it and just waiting for the unfortunate email to come
Matt Do you work for west yorkshire? Spraffs friend?

Kimbob

HR do not always reply back it is a bit hit and miss with them at the moment . I have heard of 2 that are getting the psychometric test for the job I applied for.and my application says in process so I'm thinking I have not been successful again

Saxon79

I wish they would email me and let me know either way. I applied in December and heard nothing. I think I've probably been unsuccessful but still had no confirmation either way.

owen306

I wish they would email me and let me know either way. I applied in December and heard nothing. I think I've probably been unsuccessful but still had no confirmation either way.
Me too, applied in December and still say application in progress.

NorvernRob

If it’s like last year, multiple courses will start from the one advertisement. I applied last June and heard nothing until October, 6 weeks later I was on a course. Others started long before me and some afterwards.

owen306

If it’s like last year, multiple courses will start from the one advertisement. I applied last June and heard nothing until October, 6 weeks later I was on a course. Others started long before me and some afterwards.
Thank you....sounds promising. Hopefully will hear somthing soon. I hope you are enjoying your new career?.

Davieez

That’s certainly given me some hope at least. Just frustrating when you don’t hear anything. On the plus side it’s giving me more time to prepare if I happen to get shortlisted for an interview. Don’t want to be rushing to prepare for an interview with a weeks notice.

HayV46

I applied at the start of December and had an interview the first week of Feb for Victoria. Passed my tests a couple of weeks ago, had the MMI after the tests, just waiting on the outcome from that. How long do you think I should expect it to take to get a response?

GLENMAYE77

I need to know what people are putting in their cover letters....can’t get mine through.
Got all my assessment and MMI passes, and in a driver talent pool, just can’t get passed the Northern paper sift

Railweigh

Thank you....sounds promising. Hopefully will hear somthing soon. I hope you are enjoying your new career?.

I love it, even though there’s an enormous amount of information to digest and learn! It’s harder than most people think, for that reason.

The course has just changed, it’s now an apprenticeship but I don’t know how the actual material has changed. Not a massive amount I’d imagine, you still have to learn the rule book and the same traction.

owen306

I love it, even though there’s an enormous amount of information to digest and learn! It’s harder than most people think, for that reason.

The course has just changed, it’s now an apprenticeship but I don’t know how the actual material has changed. Not a massive amount I’d imagine, you still have to learn the rule book and the same traction.
Im glad you are enjoying it. Hopefully i will be saying the same in the future. Goodluck with everything.

Aivilo

Care to elaborate as its marketed as virtual academy

They're piloting the new course in Leeds currently and very soon in Manchester (if not already) with a view to go live in June I believe. Its essentially e learning and split into part A and part B. Part A is generic across the board railway stuff that all TOC/FOCs have to adhere to. That way if Northern for example were light on a course they can offer positions to other TOCS. Part B is relevant to the specific TOC/FOC and will involve traction, routes and driving.

RDG and TOC/FOCs have worked hard on this new system of delivery and I hope it works having seen what a failure the ipad course was with my current TOC

Matt whitaker

I need to know what people are putting in their cover letters....can’t get mine through.
Got all my assessment and MMI passes, and in a driver talent pool, just can’t get passed the Northern paper sift

I had mine on 22nd March, passed all psychometric test but still not heard the outcome of my mmi either.

Davieez

Northern just got back to me to say that my application wasn’t being progressed any further. Gutted is an understatement! Oh well back to the drawing board.

Lee0901

Northern just got back to me to say that my application wasn’t being progressed any further. Gutted is an understatement! Oh well back to the drawing board.
What area was this for and did you contact them?

Davieez

What area was this for and did you contact them?

It was for Manchester Piccadilly and no I didn’t contact them. I applied on the 4th March and they got back to me today. Good luck everyone who has applied hope you fare better than me. I’m not giving up on this career. Set backs are all part of the process.

I think I need to tailor my cv and application to suit the role better on reflection. More references to the safety conscious side of the role. I did mention some non technical skills which are listed on the RSSB website and elaborate on one that was situational awareness in my cover letter but I think I need to give better examples of how I am safety conscious. I did mention a lot of customer service aspects of my experience as I am an assistant manager of a public house but I think I need to balance them better next time. It’s hard to say really all I can do is learn from it and try again.

I only discovered this forum after I applied so I will be sticking around to get some pearls of wisdom. I have learned quite a bit from reading on here which will hopefully help me next time.

I've just confirmed my place for a start in Manchester on the 15th April and I have a medical in Birmingham on Thursday! If I may ask however, what does the medical entail?

Matt whitaker

I've just confirmed my place for a start in Manchester on the 15th April and I have a medical in Birmingham on Thursday! If I may ask however, what does the medical entail?
Hi, sorry it's not related to your question just wondered where you applied for?

Claudius

Me too, applied in December and still say application in progress.

Still says ‘application received’ and I too applied in December.

Depot driver job I applied for in Blackburn which I submitted 2 weeks ago now says ‘application in process’

Status
Not open for further replies.