• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Trainee Train Driver Roles- Various Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Termak

Seems victoria do the interviews first....I thought my interview went great until i got the email saying not successful. You can't tell.

I wonder if they have to pick % out...or do they simply look for a threshold? Even if no one passes?
Hi, sorry to hear that. When did you go for your interview, myself was the 23rd of January and still nothing back. For real with these intervie5 you just never know what exactly they're looking for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GJL9916

Seems victoria do the interviews first....I thought my interview went great until i got the email saying not successful. You can't tell.

I wonder if they have to pick % out...or do they simply look for a threshold? Even if no one passes?

That's the trouble with interviews you can never quite tell, I only had two in the last 20 years so always find nerves get the better of me but the 2 I had have both been within the last 12 months so feeling more confident should another one come up! I applied on Boxing Day and still showing as 'Application in Progress' so hopefully get some news one way or the other soon! Was it the interview questions to be expected, about the company, role and giving examples of situations?

Claudius

That's the trouble with interviews you can never quite tell, I only had two in the last 20 years so always find nerves get the better of me but the 2 I had have both been within the last 12 months so feeling more confident should another one come up! I applied on Boxing Day and still showing as 'Application in Progress' so hopefully get some news one way or the other soon! Was it the interview questions to be expected, about the company, role and giving examples of situations?

Have you passed the psychometric tests with another TOC? From what I’ve briefly read it seems that those who have previously passed have been interviewed quickly.

Mine still says application received for all three

GJL9916

Have you passed the psychometric tests with another TOC? From what I’ve briefly read it seems that those who have previously passed have been interviewed quickly.

Mine still says application received for all three

I took stage 1 with Freightliner and even though everything was passed to enhanced I only had a national standard pass on the group bourdon which wasn't enough for me to progress with Freightliner so not had the opportunity to take stage 2 yet

I am never sure what to put when it comes on the applications forms for trainee driver positions as I do have a national standard pass for stage 1 which is a positive but on the other hand I am aware that most TOC require a Enhanced pass so in their eyes it's not good enough

Richard G

Iv just received an email saying it could be another two weeks yet due to high numbers of applicants, applied for Blackpool.
Does anyone know were I can find information on the routes for Blackpool depo?
Are there certain ‘main’ questions that will be asked (if I get that far) at interview?
Cheers

galaxynew

Does anyone have the various pay scales for these Northern Trainee jobs, couldn't see anything in previous posts and when you click on the job description (which had the rates) it no longer shows any details at all. Sure there were 3 different rates through the training period

Thanks

Llama

Established Member
At ex-FNW depots the training rate is just shy of £20k for off-the-street recruits. This goes up to ~£40k on successful passout (completion of initial training to achieve full competency on basic routes and traction) or after 12 months, whichever comes first. A year later the salary increases to ~44k and a further year later (two years after passing out) the salary goes to the full driver rate of ~48k.

There have been recent adjustments to salaries as part of training agreements (and further adjustments expected in April) so the exact figures aren't easy to come by at the moment.

Aivilo

£21700 at present which increases as above to around £39000 (12 months or successful pass out)

This will change with harmonisation across the business and ongoing pay negotiations for DOO and sundays

Llama

Established Member
Those harmonisation/DCO/Sunday negotiations are a long way off and all far from certain.

Andy fuller

Has anyone heard anything regards Sheffield yet? I had an email just over two weeks ago basically saying please give us a further two weeks to process applications but nothing since

Aivilo

Those harmonisation/DCO/Sunday negotiations are a long way off and all far from certain.

Bringing East/West/TPE all on to the same pay is already a thing. A deal has also been agreed in principal behind closed doors for if/when RMT fold.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Bringing East/West/TPE all on to the same pay is already a thing. A deal has also been agreed in principal behind closed doors for if/when RMT fold.

Who has told you this?

Because someone wants to inform the regional organiser as this was flatly denied, and I and many others trust said person.

Llama

Established Member
If that is what you get told there then yes they are!

Just had an email to say that they have withdrawn the Newcastle positions as they are no longer required. However they also say

"We would like to keep your application on hold pending future vacancies, should they occur. If we do start to recruit again for the role, your application will be put forward for shortlisting and we will update you on whether you have been selected for interview"

I won't hold my breath!

keynet10

Had interview today for Manchester Victoria driver. Hardest interview questions ever and I have been grilled by some cut throat sales managers in the past.
Researched and rehearsed all my answers to the most common questions you expect to be asked at a DMI. Well not one of those questions were asked!!!
Worst interview performance ever.
Ended up using the answers I had rehearsed regardless of whether those answers were relevant to the question.
Forget every competency question you have been told they will ask because they don't.

f1nch26

Just had an email to say that they have withdrawn the Newcastle positions as they are no longer required. However they also say

"We would like to keep your application on hold pending future vacancies, should they occur. If we do start to recruit again for the role, your application will be put forward for shortlisting and we will update you on whether you have been selected for interview"

I won't hold my breath!

I got that too, I think i can write that one off now!

Dav1d

Had interview today for Manchester Victoria driver. Hardest interview questions ever and I have been grilled by some cut throat sales managers in the past.
Researched and rehearsed all my answers to the most common questions you expect to be asked at a DMI. Well not one of those questions were asked!!!
Ended up using the answers I had rehearsed regardless of whether those answers were relevant to the question.
Forget every competency question you have been told they will ask because they don't.

I had interview for Manchester too this afternoon. Not what I expected , not what I planned for and don't think I will be going to the next stage . I will get feed back if possible and work on areas I need too.

What I would say the 2 driver managers taking interview were really decent blokes , made me feel relaxed and are a real assest to northern rail.

owen306

Hi, what kind of questions were you asked? if you dont mind me asking?. You might have done better than you think.

keynet10

I had interview for Manchester too this afternoon. Not what I expected , not what I planned for and don't think I will be going to the next stage . I will get feed back if possible and work on areas I need too.

What I would say the 2 driver managers taking interview were really decent blokes , made me feel relaxed and are a real asset to northern rail.

Yes, I agree, decent blokes,
I was really put at ease but it didn't take long before I felt like I was digging myself into a hole.
They told me a few candidates had not even bothered to turn up today. So maybe there is a little hope for the next stage.

keynet10

Hi, what kind of questions were you asked? if you dont mind me asking?. You might have done better than you think.
The questions were quite long and convoluted. I can`t actually remember a single question, I do remember the word logical appearing numerous times. I seemed to struggle to actually apply the STAR method to many of the questions.

Ikiki

Hi Chaps, keep the faith. When I attended my interview I thought that I’d messed up. If you’ve done your research I’m sure you’ll be ok.

Good luck.

owen306

The questions were quite long and convoluted. I can`t actually remember a single question, I do remember the word logical appearing numerous times. I seemed to struggle to actually apply the STAR method to many of the questions.
im sure you will have done just fine.

GJL9916

Noticed my app has changed to 'end of process' now for the Liverpool job, so not good news as far as the Manchester app is concerned as its exactly the same - not had an email from them though saying I was unsuccessful so good job I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.