• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

darloscott

Thought we should have a thread to track the refurbishment process of the units staying within, and joining, the Norrhern fleet.
158752+150275 went from Neville Hill to Kilmarnock yesterday as 5Z58 - http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K97555/2016/04/02/advanced
These are expected to be the first two to enter the refurbishment process, so it will be interesting to see what the interior (and exterior) is like when they return.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
Thought we should have a thread to track the refurbishment process of the units staying within, and joining, the Norrhern fleet.
158752+150275 went from Neville Hill to Kilmarnock yesterday as 5Z58 - http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K97555/2016/04/02/advanced
These are expected to be the first two to enter the refurbi
shment process, so it will be interesting to see what the interior (and exterior) is like when they return.

No hanging about then

Are trains in current livery receiving new logos?

What will the new livery be?

Established Member
Are these actually for a full Northern refurbishment though? or is it perhaps for compliance work like a new Toilet?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The 158 is particularly interesting, is it a complete stripout?

I'd guess that depends on a few things: The Northern 158 fleet will most likely be split into 2 different fleets with different interiors - one for Connect in the North East and one for non-Connect services around Yorkshire and Greater Manchester. Given that Connect isn't being launched for a while I'd assume this unit will be the latter group. Hopefully it'll be more than New seat covers and a lick of paint!

notlob.divad

Established Member
Do we know if S and C will be a connect route?

Doesn't look like, it. https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/travel/northern-connect
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do we know what if anything is happening with the 319s. Having recently had a 'light' refurbishment, I wouldn't expect a lot, but new livery to match the new branding? If they are, I am surprised they didn't try to get one done before Friday for the launch event like TPE did.

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Doesn't look like, it. https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/travel/northern-connect
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do we know what if anything is happening with the 319s. Having recently had a 'light' refurbishment, I wouldn't expect a lot, but new livery to match the new branding? If they are, I am surprised they didn't try to get one done before Friday for the launch event like TPE did.

The entire fleet need to be refurbished to the same standard as a new unit, logically (not that there's much logic on the railway at times) a refurbishment to a similar standard to the current ScotRail works would be in order.

Accessible controlled emission toilets also need to be fitted, and Wi-Fi is needed, plus any other outstanding works for the DDA compliance post 2020.

WillPS

Established Member
Glad to see this is happening. The DDA compliance alone will be a tight turnaround between now and 2020, so if they are to do anything to the interiors (and by God, do the Northern 158s need it) they needed to be hitting the ground running.

Particularly I'm hoping for new seats and new air conditioning (quite a few have had basically nothing since the CO2 based system they were built with was outlawed); as well as new carpets and a repaint.

tom1649

New seats are ok as long as they're not ridiculously high backed or as hard as an ironing board.

Last edited:

notlob.divad

Established Member
The entire fleet need to be refurbished to the same standard as a new unit, logically (not that there's much logic on the railway at times) a refurbishment to a similar standard to the current ScotRail works would be in order.

Accessible controlled emission toilets also need to be fitted, and Wi-Fi is needed, plus any other outstanding works for the DDA compliance post 2020.

Fair enough, I expect they are low down the list at the minute, the older stock needs the attention first.

Established Member
That was quick!

It's great to see Arriva hit the ground running with rolling stock refurbishments, if the Arriva Trains Wales Class 158 refurbishments are anything to go by, then the refurbished Northern units will be excellent in my opinion.

Last edited:

TH172341

Said it before, and will say it again, the 150s need a SWT 455/456 style refurb, although less commuter orientated probably. Repainted panels, new seats, new lighting etc. - hopefully we'll at last see that!

387star

On Moderation
What is happening regard 153s?

Will they just reform them as 155s eventually does anyone know?

Presumably those coming off lease with gwr will join northern

MML

Can the toilet in the Class 153 units be decommissioned and thereby avoid the need to install a large PRM toilet with the loss of further seats ?
Many buses or coaches of a similar size do not and will not have toilets on-board. The units would still be ideal for short journeys on rural branch lines throughout the country.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Can the toilet in the Class 153 units be decommissioned and thereby avoid the need to install a large PRM toilet with the loss of further seats ?
Many buses or coaches of a similar size do not and will not have toilets on-board. The units would still be ideal for short journeys on rural branch lines throughout the country.

That's one of the options for them from a legal point of view, but Northern have already announced that all 153s will go off lease prior to 2020. Whether any other operators take them on remains to be seen. There certainly isn't enough work suitable for 70 toiletless single cars though. The 155 going for overhaul might give the owning ROSCOs an idea of what's required to get the 153s compliant as 2 or 3-car units.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
If no TOC takes them on, how easy to maintain would they be for a preserved railway that has a mainline connection and runs or can run their trains over a stretch of NR metals?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Although Northern are getting shut of the 153s, the one I'm on now seems to have been given a bit of a makeover. The walls internally have all been whitewashed which makes it seem far more pleasant inside than the faded brown and blue of either the 155 I was on earlier or the one coupled to this one. Unit is 153317.

Aws87024

Although Northern are getting shut of the 153s, the one I'm on now seems to have been given a bit of a makeover. The walls internally have all been whitewashed which makes it seem far more pleasant inside than the faded brown and blue of either the 155 I was on earlier or the one coupled to this one. Unit is 153317.

I'm on 158757 now and the contrast to the EMT one from earlier in the trip is embarrassing. Oh and the AC isn't working.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I'm on 158757 now and the contrast to the EMT one from earlier in the trip is embarrassing. Oh and the AC isn't working.

I disagree,
Yes the AC hardly ever works, and the seats are a bit tatty in some places, but the middle carriage seats have to be the best on the network. Very comfortable and i`m my opinion very much better than the EMT seats.
Sam

Aws87024

I disagree,
Yes the AC hardly ever works, and the seats are a bit tatty in some places, but the middle carriage seats have to be the best on the network. Very comfortable and i`m my opinion very much better than the EMT seats.
Sam

From a personal point of view i find the seat on EMT more comfortable. I appreciate that this isn't necessarily down to the unit but there's loads of litter (particularly chewing gum) about which doesn't improve the look of the grey streaky walls and interior. Let's hope the referb is to a high standard.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

I disagree,
Sam

I seem to get 757 a lot, and generally the aircon seems more resilient than in the former Alphaline units. The centre cars of the 3-car units are indeed among the most comfortable running anywhere in the country in my opinion.

Aws87024

I seem to get 757 a lot, and generally the aircon seems more resilient than in the former Alphaline units. The centre cars of the 3-car units are indeed among the most comfortable running anywhere in the country in my opinion.

Will have to try the middle car next time, i was in the driving car.

Established Member

I've been on a few of the Northern three car 158s (158757 isn't one of them as of yet), and I have to agree with you.

387star

On Moderation
Heard a couple units went up some time ago for a major refurbishment any gen when these are back work done etc