• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Established Member
Things seem to be going smoothly... Took me a while to work out that the refurbished sets were in bold AND blue, not bold and black..

I might change the bold for an "r" next time I update it. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Underlining means changes made to list since the last update. (eg repaint or cascaded train to Northern)
I find the format very easy to understand and very informative.
Long may it continue in its current format

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. :)

Established Member
I'd like to add my appreciation too. Can't be easy considering how disjointed the refurbishment programme is and how many different situations that various units are in!

Thank you, I have a Northern fleet list which I use to update the list here. :)

I really appreciate the updates people share here too, they're extremely helpful.

SteveyBee131

I find the format very easy to understand and very informative.
Long may it continue in its current format

I'd like to add my appreciation too. Can't be easy considering how disjointed the refurbishment programme is and how many different situations that various units are in!

Ditto, and ditto. You do a brilliant job keeping us all informed on the progress of the refurbishments project. Thanks so much! :D:D;)

Chrisyd

Just boarded 150108, ex GWR, and the destination blind on the front looks brand new. Will it be? -considering it will be changed to an LED board when the train is refurbished too Northern spec, or is it just the best of the ones taken off the already refurbished Northern units?

_toommm_

Established Member
ex. ScotRail 170475 is off to Nottingham today, it's formed 5Z01 0907 Holbeck Loco Sidings to Nottingham. Route learning maybe?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Currently on 150124 and what a pleasant surprise! Particularly when the rear unit is a Pacer :D

It's on the 10:53 Wigan Wallgate to Manchester Airport (think it came from Southport) if anybody wants it today, whatever diagrams that forms afterwards.

Malay States

I had a trip on 156420 today, the first of the refurbished ex FNW units. It was a great improvement with the new paint, new style seat covers and cushions, and lino floor. The tables were unchanged, as was the window trim, which was in poor condition by my seat. The seat grab handles were old dark blue ones. As this is the first of the batch to come out, I expect all or some of these omissions will be dealt with on successive units. All in all the ordinary punter will I think be well satisfied, even if only because of the contrast with the state these units had got into. How well Northern can manage to keep the white surfaces in good condition remains a concern.

Bovverboy

Established Member
It's probably been asked here before, but with the impending introduction of 323's, will 319's still be running on Chat Moss services?

The available evidence says that, from the start of the new timetable (20 May), at least half of the journeys on the new Liverpool - Manchester Airport - Crewe stopping service will be covered by 319s.
Other than that, it depends what you mean by 'Chat Moss services'. Apart from the above stopper, the only other electric Northern service to go over Chat Moss itself is going to be an hourly Blackpool to Manchester airport service (apart from odd journeys from Lime Street to/from Manchester Victoria). This is likely to be serviced mainly, or possibly entirely, by 319s.
You may be regarding the 'Chat Moss service' as anything which departs Liverpool Lime Street and heads out towards Chat Moss, i.e. therefore including Lime Street to Warrington/Wigan/Blackpool. It has been said that 323s are going to cover a proportion of the Warringtons, but the other services are likely to remain mainly, or wholly, 319-operated.
Until and if the 769 conversion programme starts in earnest, there are going to be as many 319s based at Allerton as there are now.

Domh245

Established Member
What’s the difference with the N logos?

The colouring. They were originally done in Teal, Pink, and a pastel blue, but it was established that those colours went against their branding guidelines, so they've since been done in Teal, Yellow, and Purple.

Compare this unit with the originals ns to that shared by @mikemcniven

MML

I'm surprised people travelling from Middlesborough to Whitby, York to Harrogate or Huddersfield to Barnsley really notice any difference in the livery. Or for that matter even care. Just goes to show, when the colour of a few random letters takes precedence over a seat, a reliable service or sufficient trains - you know the TOC have lost the plot !

brel york

Just boarded 150108, ex GWR, and the destination blind on the front looks brand new. Will it be? -considering it will be changed to an LED board when the train is refurbished too Northern spec, or is it just the best of the ones taken off the already refurbished Northern units?
We are throwing the removed blinds in the skip at wabtec during prm Work