• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

150 116 will be delivered back this week , prm work done but no repaint

Which other 150/1s & 2s are at Wabtec at present? Only got 116 (Nor) and 125 (GWR/NOR) noted, whereas I'm sure I saw it commented that up to 4 units would be present at a time for PRM work.

jonesy3001

Established Member
Which other 150/1s & 2s are at Wabtec at present? Only got 116 (Nor) and 125 (GWR/NOR) noted, whereas I'm sure I saw it commented that up to 4 units would be present at a time for PRM work.

How come 116 hasn't been repainted, is it one of the units that could go 3 car(again)?

Domh245

Established Member
It looks as if there have been some modifications made to the driver's side of the cab - FFCTV perhaps?

It's also interesting to see that the similarly arranged (in terms of doors at least) 195s have the upwards swoosh ending before the first set of doors, whereas on this one, it only starts to turn up after the door!

brel york

The ones coming in for prm only had their corrosion and c6 repairs done at the start of the program jan 2014 , they were supposed to be getting the toilets then but angel changed their minds and decided on fitting the pcc grande toilet which meant redesigning the low roof area , if you look at the porterbrook 150s on northern their toilets are slightly different internally and are 50mm smaller than the grande

Allwinter_Kit

There is a photo of a Class 170 in Northern base livery on Wikipedia.

Looks good, IMO.

I take it back - I've said before that it was pretty uninspired but actually I think it is pretty decent...

Although I do worry if this will still be the case after a few years of use and minimal external cleaning....

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I’ve got them hidden away , ebays a bit risky lol

I wouldn't say no to one as the 150's are likley to be the last units with the roller blinds and as such its a bit of history being preserved.

I'm guessing the 156's will end up with LED blinds upon referbishment since they're likely to be in service 'til around 2030 possibly 2040 at a push.

darylyates17

319364 is now in full livery not sure if its already been mentioned or how long its been in full livery but it' the first time I've seen it in full livery

J-P_L

Currently on 156444 between Newcastle and Nunthorpe. At Sunderland the internal Customer Information Screens started to use automated announcements and scrolling messages rather than just the destination of the train.

First time I’ve seen CIS working on the refurbed 156s and on the Durham Coast. Good to see even if the voice is a tad irritating!

Attachments

• 1721135B-99B3-4CE6-B3CB-6B9281C78CEE.jpeg
    1721135B-99B3-4CE6-B3CB-6B9281C78CEE.jpeg
    638.8 KB · Views: 180

Established Member
Yes FINALLY our TrainFX is being updated. All of the route codes are for the May timetable change so not all will be working as yet but some can be used right now.

Adam0984

Yes FINALLY our TrainFX is being updated. All of the route codes are for the May timetable change so not all will be working as yet but some can be used right now.

The trainfx upgrade is a half way house to a headcode based system which there is some problems getting perfect. The current systems are been updated slowly and not all have the stops load on yet

superkev

Established Member
Rode on refreshed 158 752 today on the Calder Valley line. Sad to see the centre car hoppers open usually indicating air cooling failure. Carpet was starting to look tired too.
I think Neville hill will have to up there game with the 170's and new trains as they don't have emergency hoppers to open.
Calder Valley was bit cosy today with mostly 2 car trains operating including a rammed well beyond capacity 142.
Can't believe northern are still short of units.
K

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Rode on refreshed 158 752 today on the Calder Valley line. Sad to see the centre car hoppers open usually indicating air cooling failure. Carpet was starting to look tired too.
I think Neville hill will have to up there game with the 170's and new trains as they don't have emergency hoppers to open.
Calder Valley was bit cosy today with mostly 2 car trains operating including a rammed well beyond capacity 142.
Can't believe northern are still short of units.
K
Especially with no units on Huddersfield to Leeds via Dewsbury today, due to TPE needing P4a at HUD free for reversals.

M60lad

How many of Northern's 156 fleet is still unrefurbished (still in the old livery)?

Is the reason for 150s appearing on Sheffield-Leeds via Barnsley Express's because of the current shortage of 158s at the moment only I've seen a couple on there recently and also seen a 150 on a Nottingham diagram as well

marcouk2

Rode on refreshed 158 752 today on the Calder Valley line. Sad to see the centre car hoppers open usually indicating air cooling failure.

Or the air con wasn't working enough for someone, the 158 I travelled on yesterday had hopper windows open so when I got on I checked the air-conditioning status lights but they were showing green.

northernchris

Established Member
How many of Northern's 156 fleet is still unrefurbished (still in the old livery)?

Is the reason for 150s appearing on Sheffield-Leeds via Barnsley Express's because of the current shortage of 158s at the moment only I've seen a couple on there recently and also seen a 150 on a Nottingham diagram as well

The Leeds-Sheffield/Nottingham's interwork however there has been an increase lately in 150s on the route. AFAIK there should be 3 158s out for refurb/PRM mods at a time which will put some pressure on the fleet. Once the Sheffield's extend to Lincoln it will be interesting to see if the route will see a greater mix of 150 and 158 operation

superkev

Established Member
Or the air con wasn't working enough for someone, the 158 I travelled on yesterday had hopper windows open so when I got on I checked the air-conditioning status lights but they were showing green.
Not good trying to cool down the world.
I'm with Ian Warmsley from Modern railways magazine in that the hoppers should be removed to both stop misuse and encourage maintenance to prioritize a/c faults.
K