• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

pemma

Veteran Member
150116, they might be doing PRM work done first before they go into the northern livery has some of the ex LM 150s had work done before they went to northern or it could end up has 150016 again or 150916.

Yes some 150s are being converted to 3 car sets. Have the mismatched 150/2 cars arrived yet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Had my first experience with the new seat fabric today (150144). Looks nice, feels like office chair fabric* and may not last too well.
Is moquette really that much more expensive to buy/fit?

*as I think someone else already said.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I have started to notice that allot of the fabric on the "refurbished" 150s are starting to become dirty and tatty, the light blue really highlights the extent to which it is a problem also. I had been on a couple of units where I was just about to plonk myself down, however looked at the state of the seat and decided to find somewhere else.
Sam

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Here's 150138 captured passing Reddish South less than an hour ago enroute from Crewe C.S. (L&Nwr Site) to Newton Heath TMD.

Attachments

• IMG_2245.JPG
    IMG_2245.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2246.JPG
    IMG_2246.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 161

M1544

150270 returned from Kilmarnock yesterday after refurb and today 150272 has gone north for refit.

Rail Blues

I have started to notice that allot of the fabric on the "refurbished" 150s are starting to become dirty and tatty, the light blue really highlights the extent to which it is a problem also. I had been on a couple of units where I was just about to plonk myself down, however looked at the state of the seat and decided to find somewhere else.
Sam

It's almost like Northern is doing a half arsed job on the cheap, 'as new refurbs' my foot. Given the absolute shambles they are making of running the operation this doesn't surprise me an iota.

978wta

It's almost like Northern is doing a half arsed job on the cheap, 'as new refurbs' my foot. Given the absolute shambles they are making of running the operation this doesn't surprise me an iota.

A lot of the refurb work goes unnoticed. I saw pics on the sprinter FB page showing how badly corroded the body was after striping it down. Pretty much had to be rebuilt from the ground up including a whole new roof. So it’s not all about a new livery and upholstery.

Rail Blues

A lot of the refurb work goes unnoticed. I saw pics on the sprinter FB page showing how badly corroded the body was after striping it down. Pretty much had to be rebuilt from the ground up including a whole new roof. So it’s not all about a new livery and upholstery.
It actually doesn't surprise me that they would have to treat corrosion given the age of the units, nor should it surprise them and they should have allowed time and budget to complete this , it isn't an either/or situation and certainly doesn't excuse wilfully misleading customers about the quality of the refurb they'd get. Cheapo seat covers on ancient seats doesn't scream as new ambiance to me.

Last edited:

superkev

Established Member
Lost track. Is the last 3 car 158 and a 155 still at Brodies
Noticed 3 cars158 754 and 757 today with the emergency hoppers open so the refresh dosent seem to have reached the air con. 757 centre car has been like that for weeks. Poor show.
K

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Has there yet been a service made up of a ex GWR 150 and ex GWR 153 on Northern?

Often see a Northern 153 with an ex GWR 150.

A mate of mine had 153330 the other day which was attached to a 150, but no idea if it was attached to a former GWR unit or not.

M1544

Noted that the original refurbished 155, 155346 has had its original logo and pink circle on the livery replaced by the later northern by arriva logo and yellow circle to bring it exterior into line with later repaints.

mikemcniven

Noted that the original refurbished 155, 155346 has had its original logo and pink circle on the livery replaced by the later northern by arriva logo and yellow circle to bring it exterior into line with later repaints.

150275 had a similar thing happen a couple months back, seems they are redoing the external branding on the initial repaints and refurbished units

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
153305 is currently running round in base white with grey doors. Looks quite good.

It's been like that for about 9/10 months after going to Long Marston for Exams and painting and as it was the first of the GWR batch it was not re-liveried due to it's future not being certain at that time but the remainder of them were given the GWR livery when information on their future had been confirmed. It is known as "Casper" and well documented on the Forum in various GWR threads. It moved to Northern approx 6 weeks ago.

chrissawer

It's been like that for about 9/10 months after going to Long Marston for Exams and painting and as it was the first of the GWR batch it was not re-liveried due to it's future not being certain at that time but the remainder of them were given the GWR livery when information on their future had been confirmed. It is known as "Casper" and well documented on the Forum in various GWR threads. It moved to Northern approx 6 weeks ago.

I presume Northern are having no further work done on the 153s except for essential maintainence. In addition to the white one they received two dark green ones from GWR which are still that colour - I saw one at Rochdale this morning. And of course all of the ones in old Northern colours.

It had been assumed that all 153s would be scrapped at the end of 2019 as they would lose so many seats with a 2020-compliant toilet, but the new Wales franchise is using some past 2020 so presumably some of them are being made compliant one way or another.

978wta

I presume Northern are having no further work done on the 153s except for essential maintainence. In addition to the white one they received two dark green ones from GWR which are still that colour - I saw one at Rochdale this morning. And of course all of the ones in old Northern colours.

It had been assumed that all 153s would be scrapped at the end of 2019 as they would lose so many seats with a 2020-compliant toilet, but the new Wales franchise is using some past 2020 so presumably some of them are being made compliant one way or another.

I think 153s will only be compliant if coupled to a compliant 158, 150 etc. Also their toilets would need to be locked out.

It’s a shame they can’t be converted back to a 155 formation but I suppose the costs will outweigh.

M1544

Seems to have gone very quiet on this thread. Have northern still got units away for refresh?
K
150270 came back from Kilmarnock refurbished a week ago and was replaced by 150272 see my post further up the page.
155341 and 158759 still at Kilmarnock up to press.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I think 153s will only be compliant if coupled to a compliant 158, 150 etc. Also their toilets would need to be locked out.

It’s a shame they can’t be converted back to a 155 formation but I suppose the costs will outweigh.
The toilets shouldn't need locking out if the unit is working with one that has an accessible toilet- otherwise the small toilets on 185s (and many others) would also need removing by 2020.

pemma

Veteran Member
The toilets shouldn't need locking out if the unit is working with one that has an accessible toilet- otherwise the small toilets on 185s (and many others) would also need removing by 2020.

It does need corridor connections in use though (so a 150/1+153 wouldn't work) and the 153 to have the other PRM work done e.g. CIS, grab handles, door controls etc. Also there's a separate requirement for the ending of dumping toilet waste on the track, which has the same deadline as the PRM work.

You'll also note while the second 185 toilet isn't wheelchair accessible, it does have braille on the toilet door sign, on the toilet flush button and on the hand washer controls.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It does need corridor connections in use though (so a 150/1+153 wouldn't work) and the 153 to have the other PRM work done e.g. CIS, grab handles, door controls etc. Also there's a separate requirement for the ending of dumping toilet waste on the track, which has the same deadline as the PRM work.

You'll also note while the second 185 toilet isn't wheelchair accessible, it does have braille on the toilet door sign, on the toilet flush button and on the hand washer controls.
Quite right, though the other mods are relatively simple and inexpensive. The tanks thing is also relevant, I was going to include that in my post but I didn't want to muddy the waters- as you say, it's a separate issue that happens to have the same deadline.

Mollman

Established Member
I think that you are right with your assumption given the amount of corrosion on other sprinter units.

deltic08

On Moderation
Please can you tell me what FB means? All I could think of was face book but didn't think there was a page dedicated to Sprinters there.