• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I wouldn’t expect 158845 to be out just yet.

Apparently it’s got to have some more new carpet fitted because the carpet they put in has been badly ripped by the installation of the new seats......

superkev

Established Member
I wouldn’t expect 158845 to be out just yet.

Apparently it’s got to have some more new carpet fitted because the carpet they put in has been badly ripped by the installation of the new seats......
Do the seats go on top of the carpet (Will need the seats removing) or is the carpet cut round them.

tommy_train

I wish they'd just leave the original seats in. All they need is new cushions!
I would agree with you! the seats in Northern's 158s are really quite nice - they make the units have almost an "intercity level of comfort" feel about them.
I have been on a refurbished unit that has the original seats with new cushions and moquette covers, and it is very nice indeed - a pleasure to travel within.
However, there is at least one unit (I do not know the number of it, unfortunately) that has awful seats from a 156 - and it makes the unit not as comfortable and not as enjoyable to travel within. I would be happy for this unit to have new seats fitted.

simon7929

We hire in Scotrail 156s in the North East. Some have the 'Ironing board seats' in them. I've had a few people say how nice the seats are?

superkev

Established Member
I would agree with you! the seats in Northern's 158s are really quite nice - they make the units have almost an "intercity level of comfort" feel about them.
I have been on a refurbished unit that has the original seats with new cushions and moquette covers, and it is very nice indeed - a pleasure to travel within.
However, there is at least one unit (I do not know the number of it, unfortunately) that has awful seats from a 156 - and it makes the unit not as comfortable and not as enjoyable to travel within. I would be happy for this unit to have new seats fitted.
Myself and probably most of the public judge the seating first by if there knees are not wedged, northern style. to the seat in front. Can't help thinking Northerns trains like the 155's have totally unacceptable seat pitch.
K

NoOnesFool

Myself and probably most of the public judge the seating first by if there knees are not wedged, northern style. to the seat in front. Can't help thinking Northerns trains like the 155's have totally unacceptable seat pitch.
K
The legroom on some of them, especially the ex West Yorkshire PTE ones can be quite sparing. However, the generous padding makes up for the leg room.

Some of the worst trains for leg room are the 144s, those and some chapman 153s. One of the (very few) benefits of the 142s with bench seats is that the seat backs are quite flexible, so even if legroom is a little sparse, one's knees can make the seat infront flex forward slightly to accomodate them.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I wish they'd just leave the original seats in. All they need is new cushions!
I've a feeling that the unit in question has (as several of Northern's 1588xx units do) seats that were fitted by a previous operator, and not the originals (think they're either ex-Central Trains or ex-Wales&West/Wessex). These are less "square" than the originals and have blue grab-handles. Not as comfortable as the originals either.

The legroom on some of them, especially the ex West Yorkshire PTE ones can be quite sparing. However, the generous padding makes up for the leg room.

Some of the worst trains for leg room are the 144s, those and some chapman 153s. One of the (very few) benefits of the 142s with bench seats is that the seat backs are quite flexible, so even if legroom is a little sparse, one's knees can make the seat infront flex forward slightly to accomodate them.
For me the benefit of the bus benches is that you can spread out a bit by sitting at an angle, even use them as makeshift beds (as I did once when coming back after Leedsfest as a youth!), but pressing your knees into the seat in front should only be done if the seat infront is empty. If I'm sat in front of you and you do it, expect a piece of my mind (or a series of deliberate farts, if you're bigger than me!) <D:lol:;)

tommy_train

K
Im only 5'6", so I generally have no issues with leg room, but I can completely understand that poor leg room ruins the journey!

tommy_train

I've a feeling that the unit in question has (as several of Northern's 1588xx units do) seats that were fitted by a previous operator, and not the originals (think they're either ex-Central Trains or ex-Wales&West/Wessex). These are less "square" than the originals and have blue grab-handles. Not as comfortable as the originals either.

Yes, I think that replacing the crappy seats (and keeping the good ones) would be a good move.

superkev

Established Member
Im only 5'6", so I generally have no issues with leg room, but I can completely understand that poor leg room ruins the journey!
Height is as not that important. Its leg length that matters. Ive met quite short people who seem to be all legs as well as the other way round.
Im fairly average and I've never managed to sit comfortable in many of Northerns trains the 155's being particularly bad. I read somewhere the population is growing about an inch per generation.
K

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Height is as not that important. Its leg length that matters. Ive met quite short people who seem to be all legs as well as the other way round.
Im fairly average and I've never managed to sit comfortable in many of Northerns trains the 155's being particularly bad. I read somewhere the population is growing about an inch per generation.
K

Depending on the seat it’s upper and lower leg length that is more important, too. Lower leg length is more important for a quite “laid back” seat like the as built 158, while upper leg length is about all that matters on an upright seat like the ironing board or Grammer E3000 or IC3000.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Depending on the seat it’s upper and lower leg length that is more important, too. Lower leg length is more important for a quite “laid back” seat like the as built 158, while upper leg length is about all that matters on an upright seat like the ironing board or Grammer E3000 or IC3000.
Most people don't actually adopt a good posture when on public transport, in my vague observations. If you actually position your buttocks where they're supposed to be, most seats (those on 155s and Merseytravel Pacers being notable exceptions) will have sufficient space unless you're a giant. Not loads of space, but enough.

mjn

I didn't think I'd get to see 150125 & 150126 until they moved up North. We are mid way through a 2 week holiday in Cornwall though and the ranger tickets are super good value down here. Got a few rides on them both last week when they were coupled together on the St Ives branch. Yesterday 150125 was with 150202 on the same route (not sure where 150126 went off too). Right now I'm sat on a right combo of 150125, 153329 & 150266 which is on its way to Exeter via a split at Plymouth.

Bumped into 150207 last week at Plymouth which was a shame... thought we had got rid of that one

59CosG95

Established Member
I didn't think I'd get to see 150125 & 150126 until they moved up North. We are mid way through a 2 week holiday in Cornwall though and the ranger tickets are super good value down here. Got a few rides on them both last week when they were coupled together on the St Ives branch. Yesterday 150125 was with 150202 on the same route (not sure where 150126 went off too). Right now I'm sat on a right combo of 150125, 153329 & 150266 which is on its way to Exeter via a split at Plymouth.

Bumped into 150207 last week at Plymouth which was a shame... thought we had got rid of that one
AFAIK, 125 & 126 are the last ones to head north - though I'm not sure when that will be off the top of my head. Probably when GWR get another GTi HST set, or when the Turbos take over the Cardiff-Pompey runs (thereby allowing more 158s to take over 150/153 diagrams)

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

I50207s only recently come

Do the seats go on top of the carpet (Will need the seats removing) or is the carpet cut round them.

I believe the carpet is cut around the seats, but that’s now how the carpet has been damaged so badly.

Apparently the seats were dragged along the carpet to their location, causing the damage.

pemma

Veteran Member

387star

On Moderation
looks smart better carpet design than previously used however those seats look like a downgrade

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
looks smart better carpet design than previously used however those seats look like a downgrade

They appear to be the ScotRail style "contoured ironing boards". Personally, given that the layout seems to be basically as-built give or take priority seats (i.e. window aligned), I expect I will prefer them as they will at least offer a modicum of legroom in the airline seats.

tommy_train

158845 is out in service today and has just left Leeds on 1Y17 1204 to Nottingham. Some pics inside and out are on my Flickr page.

Exterior
https://www.flickr.com/photos/railphotosonline/42989342580/in/dateposted/

Interior
https://www.flickr.com/photos/railphotosonline/44080992224/in/dateposted/

More pics are on my Flickr page

This looks quite nice- I think it looks smart. Do you know if this unit previously had Chapman seats, or 2+2 Ashbourne style seats?
If Ashbourne style, then that could be a shame, as they were really comfy (imo). If Chapman, then this is likely an upgrade (I really don't like chapman seats on 158).

However, I will reserve my judgement until I get to travel on a unit with this setup.

mde

They appear to be the ScotRail style "contoured ironing boards". Personally, given that the layout seems to be basically as-built give or take priority seats (i.e. window aligned), I expect I will prefer them as they will at least offer a modicum of legroom in the airline seats.
They do look very similar to the ScotRail versions - with the exception that Northern are using that awful new cloth fabric… Ironically, Camira have the cheek to be promoting said fabric at Innotrans - have they not actually observed the wear and tear that it fails to withstand?