• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

td97

Established Member
If I said that the flat cloth is the same price as other fabrics would you be surprised?
Yes I would be very surprised, especially when they look like this after a few months/weeks in service, and the older moquette did not show dirt/stains/general grubbiness to this extent
(my post from back in August which shows the rather dirty 'new' seat fabric)
Can't remember the unit number, but here's a few shots of how the posh 'new' seats are holding up on Northern's finest 150s
View attachment 51467 View attachment 51468 View attachment 51469

AMD

Not only is it the same price, flat cloth is dry clean only, and you don't want to see a train company's dry cleaning bill now!
I was surprised too when I found this out.

Mathew S

Established Member
Not only is it the same price, flat cloth is dry clean only, and you don't want to see a train company's dry cleaning bill now!
I was surprised too when I found this out.
I may be being dim, it is Monday morning after all, but how do you dry clean them? Do you have to take the seat cover off, clean it, then replace it?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I may be being dim, it is Monday morning after all, but how do you dry clean them? Do you have to take the seat cover off, clean it, then replace it?

One assumes so. But designing it so it can't simply be washed in water and soap powder and tumble dried is beyond nuts. My IKEA sofa covers can.

AMD

Indeed you do have to take it off, it gets sent away for cleaning, and meanwhile one from the spares kept in depot is inserted into the seat unit.

Mathew S

Established Member
One assumes so. But designing it so it can't simply be washed in water and soap powder and tumble dried is beyond nuts. My IKEA sofa covers can.
Agreed. I can't remember the last time I bought anything fabric that wasn't machine washable.
Indeed you do have to take it off, it gets sent away for cleaning, and meanwhile one from the spares kept in depot is inserted into the seat unit.
Well, that seems unnecessarily complicated, expensive, time consuming, and altogether a rather silly way of doing things.

Class455

Established Member
Does anyone know what units are going to be used on the Penistone line between Huddersfield and Sheffield once the 144's depart? I can't imagine the new 195's would be used on the route

leo knight

I
Does anyone know what units are going to be used on the Penistone line between Huddersfield and Sheffield once the 144's depart? I can't imagine the new 195's would be used on the route
Most likely 2 or 3 car class 150s as...
195s-connect
170s-harrogate and caldervale line
156/158s-Cumbria/northeast
155s-hull/humberside
156s-manchester/caldervale/s&c
So 150s do all local dmu services around Yorkshire and lancs. The odd 156 may appear on pen line as Leeds crew now sign 156s.
Hope this helps

Last edited:

theblackwatch

Established Member
With the return of 170474 today, would I be correct in saying there are now no 170s away at Crewe?

superkev

Established Member
Not including this weekends moves I estimate Northern are still owed around 5 150/1: 5 156 ; 5 158 and 6 170 dmus from various places.
K

Established Member
Not including this weekends moves I estimate it Northern are still owed around 5 150/1: 5 156 ; 5 158 and 6 170 dmus
K

Excluding the two 170s mentioned above, it's 5x 150s, 5x 156s, 6x 158s and 4x 170s.