• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SC318250

One of those 2 were suppose to be going for refurb before heading south, unless things have changed

Brian Aylott

I was surprised to see that Newton Heath is listed has having 10 unrefurbished class 158s when I thought all Northern 158s where allocated to NL.
Anyone know what routes these 90mph units are allocated too.
Thanks
K
Sorry, where is anything stating that NH have any 158?
Of course, it is not true
Brian

xotGD

Established Member
333001 has returned from Holbeck, with 333013 now there for refurbishment.
Bang goes the theory that they were being done in numerical order!

I shall report back on the new and improved 001 as and when it produces on my commute.

pemma

Veteran Member
Currently sat on a 150/2 with Ashbourne seating. No idea what low cost method Northern have used to replace the cushions but the seats are now as bad as the ones on the Merseytravel 142s. It feels like someone is forcing a piece of hard plastic in to your back.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I note that 150120 is running around today looking very shiny in the new Northern livery, but with no external branding or insignia. Saw it leaving Leeds westbound attached to an unidentified 142 just before 10:25.

northernchris

Established Member
I note that 150120 is running around today looking very shiny in the new Northern livery, but with no external branding or insignia. Saw it leaving Leeds westbound attached to an unidentified 142 just before 10:25.

Was on this today, it retains the FGW seat covers and panels

sd0733

Established Member
Refurbed 150143 standing at Crewe now been joined by 156427 also repainted and refurbed. Presumably heading back to northern together

cactustwirly

Established Member
Currently sat on a 150/2 with Ashbourne seating. No idea what low cost method Northern have used to replace the cushions but the seats are now as bad as the ones on the Merseytravel 142s. It feels like someone is forcing a piece of hard plastic in to your back.

They probably haven't replaced the cushions....

pemma

Veteran Member
They probably haven't replaced the cushions....

They have changed. I've been on a few refurbished and non-refurbished ones in the past week and the refurbished ones have less padding and have had some plastic thing inserted which means it's more comfortable to slouch than sit up straight. Not that the Ashbourne seats were ever designed for people to sit up straight. On one 'refurbished' 150/2 I noticed there were some brand new fold down seats near the toilet so I thought next time I get one of these I'll look to see if they are free. Yesterday morning I got a quiet 'refurbished' 150/2 but it didn't have any fold down seats near the toilet.