• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superkev

Established Member
They usually change over on Saturdays, so that makes sense. I take it 009 is still being examined at Derby?
I heard, on here I think, that 009 and possibly the one parked at Skipton requires 9 months of structural repairs which may be uneconomic. Anyone any news re scrap or repair.
K

Demic

I heard, on here I think, that 009 and possibly the one parked at Skipton requires 9 months of structural repairs which may be uneconomic. Anyone any news re scrap or repair.
K

There isn't one parked at Skipton. All except 009 available for service, or in refurb.

Harvey B

There isn't one parked at Skipton. All except 009 available for service, or in refurb.
the only reason that one might be parked at skipton is due to overnight stabling/that unit might not be in service that day

Harvey B

K
009 went to derby in September (I think) and should be back here by may or June

If any more 333s go to derby after then Northern should consider leasing some 332s short term so
a) more 333s can go at one time
& b) so Northern can keep a full timetable
though Northern still have the 32x's and they have 12 331s in the leeds area (I'm not sure if all 12 have entered service in Leeds yet) so they have more than enough units to cover some of the 333's should any more of them need to go to derby (assuming that the 32x's don't go off lease before 333009 comes back)

superkev

Established Member
009 went to derby in September (I think) and should be back here by may or June

If any more 333s go to derby after then Northern should consider leasing some 332s short term so
a) more 333s can go at one time
& b) so Northern can keep a full timetable
though Northern still have the 32x's and they have 12 331s in the leeds area (I'm not sure if all 12 have entered service in Leeds yet) so they have more than enough units to cover some of the 333's should any more of them need to go to derby (assuming that the 32x's don't go off lease before 333009 comes back)
Are they definatly repairing 333 009, and if so I wonder who's paying for it - leasing company Angel trains, Siemens, CAF?
Presumably Northern wont be paying for units parked up although I think Siemens may be contracted just to provide X number of units each day so they may manage with one or two missing.
As mentioned above the 332s are not TPWS fitted and are reportedly just about worn out having also had structural issues in the past. I'm sure they will be going for scrap.
K

Last edited:

Peter Bonner

Thanks. Eastleigh a new venue to me for Northern 156 PRM/interior refresh.
K

Though 156s were in Hampshire area in late 1980s when many were drafted on to the Cardiff and Bristol to Portsmouth service to temporarily replace 155s that had door problems.

IamTrainsYT

superkev

Established Member
What happened to it?
Major structural problems as occurred on the previous 332s. Reported on here as needing 9 months to strip repair and reassemble. Interestingly 333 009 was the one stood outside the Siemens shed for was it over a year and used as a Christmas tree. Some doubt over the economics of repairing all 16.
K

DannyMich2018

Major structural problems as occurred on the previous 332s. Reported on here as needing 9 months to strip repair and reassemble. Interestingly 333 009 was the one stood outside the Siemens shed for was it over a year and used as a Christmas tree. Some doubt over the economics of repairing all 16.
K
Doesn't do CAfs reputation much good as the 333s are only just under 20 years old. 332s 23 years. The Pacers been withdrawn now although not popular or well liked have had well over 30 years service.....

Geeves

Established Member
While both are CAF products the 332/333 issue ( as far as I understand) is the cheap steel that was used while the 195/331s issues are more computer/electrical based. To be fair it hardly seems to have upset CAFs order books as they still have orders coming out of their ears.

Last edited:

Harvey B

Are they definatly repairing 333 009, and if so I wonder who's paying for it - leasing company Angel trains, Siemens, CAF?
Presumably Northern wont be paying for units parked up although I think Siemens may be contracted just to provide X number of units each day so they may manage with one or two missing.
As mentioned above the 332s are not TPWS fitted and are reportedly just about worn out having also had structural issues in the past. I'm sure they will be going for scrap.
K
AFAIK they are repairing it (i only know whats been said on the forum)

superkev

Established Member
While both are CAF products the 332/333 issue ( as far as I understand) is the cheap steel that was used while the 195/331s issues are more computer/electrical based. To be fair it hardly seems to have upset CAFs order books as they still have orders coming out of their ears.
Sadly bottom line price seems to be everything in this age of non engineers and bean counters.
K

superkev

Established Member

Not aware of any previous Northern 156s visiting Eastleigh. Perhaps it's something different to the usual PRM interior refresh. Mechanical problem or accident perhaps.
K

156496 (and the other ex-SR ones) are Angel owned sets. PRM mods on Northern's Angel fleet were done at Glasgow works, which has since closed, hence why I would guess contract has been won by Eastleigh. Porterbrook ones being done at Wolverton.