• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Harvey B

Depends what you mean by refurbishing as Northern seem to have a number of phases Starting with PRM mods going on to new seats wi fi etc.
I believe there was a further phase to do the drivers cabs as these have been largely untouched.
However I have 36 units still not had PRM work (10 150, 11 156, 2 158, 13 323) and 98 still requiring interior refresh.
This includes those in works as well as the units presumably 150s that returned/ went to Crewe yesterday as I dont have numbers.
K
Which two 158s haven't got PRM mods

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Possibly 150 218 which went to Doncaster in Dec.
I have just 150 111. 210 and 226 still waiting works for PRM mods.
K

Wow that's a fair while in Donny, then again you have to factor in a potential Xmas shutdown over that time.

IamTrainsYT

Had 150111 solo today, this unit does not have a PRM toilet

Attachments

• 18E3E6CF-9109-4524-8642-1F12AB0EA6F7.jpeg
    18E3E6CF-9109-4524-8642-1F12AB0EA6F7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 129
  • 94C333B7-ADA7-4A75-89E7-FDA04C0F3F2A.jpeg
    94C333B7-ADA7-4A75-89E7-FDA04C0F3F2A.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 124

superkev

Established Member
VSTP 5Z17 1605 Barton Hill - Neville Hill 05/02 Now Caped
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/87139/2020-02-05/detailed
STP schedule with slightly different times has since been deleted.

5V84 0704 Heaton - Barton Hill 158848
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/K00388/2020-02-05/detailed
I have 158 907 as going to Bristol on 8th Dec so prob about to return.
I wonder why 158 848 is travelling to Barton hill as I believe it's already had PRM mods. Mechanical work perhaps or perhaps continuation of the interior refresh.
K

IamTrainsYT

The other day I was on EX FGW 150106 and most of the seats were broken. On it again but there are too many people on it to test if there still broken this time

DGH 1

The other day I was on EX FGW 150106 and most of the seats were broken. On it again but there are too many people on it to test if there still broken this time
I think that is shocking, running a train with broken seats. I bet if someone put a claim in for injury compensation, ( not that i'm trying to give you any ideas lol) they'd soon take it out of traffic for attention.

IamTrainsYT

I think that is shocking, running a train with broken seats. I bet if someone put a claim in for injury compensation, ( not that i'm trying to give you any ideas lol) they'd soon take it out of traffic for attention.
They would probably deny the claim

Nymanic

Turns out I travelled on a solo 150111 last May, between Manchester Vic and Bradford, setting off on a frosty Saturday morning around the 7am mark. That it wasn't a 158 was enough of a let-down on its own, until I sampled its rancid interior...

(Surprisingly, it didn't look so bad on the outside)

Grim and grimy décor? Check. Broken Ashbourne seats aligned in knee-crushing uniformity? Absolutely. Dirty windows? Naturally. No heating? Seemed to be the case. And take a look at that open window - thanks to some metal protrusion near the locking mechanism, it would not close. It was horrendously cold onboard. An hour of it was more than enough to endure.

All in all, a rather pathetic advertisement for northern conurbations.

DSC04100a.JPG DSC04109a.JPG DSC04117a.JPG DSC04130a.JPG

Last edited:

DGH 1

Turns out I travelled on a solo 150111 last May, between Manchester Vic and Bradford, setting off on a frosty Saturday morning around the 7am mark. That it wasn't a 158 was enough of a let-down on its own, until I sampled its rancid interior...

(Surprisingly, it didn't look so bad on the outside)

Grim and grimy décor? Check. Broken Ashbourne seats aligned in knee-crushing uniformity? Absolutely. Dirty windows? Naturally. No heating? Seemed to be the case. And take a look at that open window - thanks to some metal protrusion near the locking mechanism, it would not close. It was horrendously cold onboard. An hour of it was more than enough to endure.

All in all, a rather pathetic advertisement for northern conurbations.

View attachment 73528 View attachment 73529 View attachment 73530 View attachment 73531
It looks like it's had a wash since i saw it the other week, i agree with you it's not a great advert for a rail company, no wonder you were solo, everybody else must've seen it coming:D. It's the opposite end of the spectrum compared to all those shiny new units they're introducing elsewhere.

py_megapixel

Established Member
There aren't any plans to change the traction motors on any of the electric stock are there?

It seems that something like this happened to some of the Southeastern Networkers a few years ago, and while they aren't necessarily actually related builds, they are of a similar age and layout to the 323s.

On Moderation
There aren't any plans to change the traction motors on any of the electric stock are there?

It seems that something like this happened to some of the Southeastern Networkers a few years ago, and while they aren't necessarily actually related builds, they are of a similar age and layout to the 323s.
The Networkers didn't get new traction motors, I don't believe: it was new power equipment i.e. the equipment (inverters etc.) that supplies the traction motors. The 323s have had the same treatment with new Alstom equipment replacing the Holec original.

Last edited:

YorksDMU

The refurbished class 155’s are showing signs that all is not well in some respects. Today I travelled to York on the 13.32 from Beverley, ex Bridlington. It was formed of 155343. All seemed ok, apart from from bad riding for some reason, until we joined the ECML from Hambleton North Junction. It was then that the brakes kept being fully applied as if there was an emergency, but there wasn’t. The guard came on the PA and said there was a fault. The other thing was that the heating was on fully, and windows had to be opened it was that hot.
I hope things can improve one day.

DGH 1

The refurbished class 155’s are showing signs that all is not well in some respects. Today I travelled to York on the 13.32 from Beverley, ex Bridlington. It was formed of 155343. All seemed ok, apart from from bad riding for some reason, until we joined the ECML from Hambleton North Junction. It was then that the brakes kept being fully applied as if there was an emergency, but there wasn’t. The guard came on the PA and said there was a fault. The other thing was that the heating was on fully, and windows had to be opened it was that hot.
We'll have to wait till after the 31st of March to find out i think. :D but that's the 1st of April, so who knows :s

superkev

Established Member
Refurbish is probably the wrong word as no major mechanical parts where done which may account for mechanical failures.
Prm mods and interior refresh more
appropriate. .I.e it's all cosmetics
K