• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

CJ

Does anyone know if 150001 and/or 150002 have been on any Northern services yet? Or are they going to be refurbished first before entering service?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AMD

Does anyone know if 150001 and/or 150002 have been on any Northern services yet? Or are they going to be refurbished first before entering service?
No is the straightforward answer.
Traincrews need to be briefed on the differences before they can be used and in light of the current situation there's been other things taking priority, along with a reduction in units required. They will eventually receive works attention to make them Northern units (livery, seat coverings etc etc), but they will just be slotted into the programme at some point, so we expect them out in GWR green for a short while.

CJ

No is the straightforward answer.
Traincrews need to be briefed on the differences before they can be used and in light of the current situation there's been other things taking priority, along with a reduction in units required. They will eventually receive works attention to make them Northern units (livery, seat coverings etc etc), but they will just be slotted into the programme at some point, so we expect them out in GWR green for a short while.

Interesting, makes sense. Many thanks!

sd0733

Established Member
Todays Crewe to NH is running.
Return is running afternoon.
Unit numbers anyone
Todays other works moves dontvseem to be running.
K
The Newton Heath to Crewe move was 2x150s. Couldnt see the front set but the back set was 150140. The front looked to be a 150/1 and was already in Northern white livery.

superkev

Established Member
The Newton Heath to Crewe move was 2x150s. Couldnt see the front set but the back set was 150140. The front looked to be a 150/1 and was already in Northern white livery.
Sounds like more CET tank installations as 150 140 has already been to Crewe.
K

superkev

Established Member
The 150 CET tank fitting is starting to pick up a little now. Northern and Angel Trains will want the tanks fitted first before the deadline before considering interior refreshes.
Thanks. I've asked this before but when is the date when trains can no longer discharge sewage on the track.
K

superkev

Established Member
Looks like todays Heaton to Bristol Barton hill is not running now were yesterday's.
However todays Heaton to Holbeck and return look to be. Presumably more 156s for further interior upgrade.
Anyone have the numbers as well as the NH to and from Crewe moves yesterday.
Thanks
K

py_megapixel

Established Member
The PRM TSI specification for the door opening tone is "a slow pulse multi tone (up to 2 pulses per second) of 2 tones emitted sequential; frequencies: 2 200 Hz +/– 100 Hz and 1 760 Hz +/– 100 Hz" [source]. Using Audacity to create a tone following this standard effectively results in the door tone found on Aventras, the Greater Anglia FLIRTs and the CAF stock for Northern, Transpennine Express and Caledonian Sleeper. If you haven't heard it there is an example in this video. The IET stock has a different tone (but with the same frequencies so still compliant) which can be heard in this video.

How are the 150s, 155s, 156s, 158s, 319s and 323s allowed to get away with a completely different tone which doesn't even remotely follow this standard? All of the dispensations I can see seem to be to do with units which were not compliant by the end of 2019, not ones where the refurbishment has not made them compliant!

Halish Railway

Established Member
The PRM TSI specification for the door opening tone is "a slow pulse multi tone (up to 2 pulses per second) of 2 tones emitted sequential; frequencies: 2 200 Hz +/– 100 Hz and 1 760 Hz +/– 100 Hz" [source]. Using Audacity to create a tone following this standard effectively results in the door tone found on Aventras, the Greater Anglia FLIRTs and the CAF stock for Northern, Transpennine Express and Caledonian Sleeper. If you haven't heard it there is an example in this video. The IET stock has a different tone (but with the same frequencies so still compliant) which can be heard in this video.

How are the 150s, 155s, 156s, 158s, 319s and 323s allowed to get away with a completely different tone which doesn't even remotely follow this standard? All of the dispensations I can see seem to be to do with units which were not compliant by the end of 2019, not ones where the refurbishment has not made them compliant!
Is there really a need for a multi tone hustle alarm? As long as there is some sort of tone it should be okay - obviously the door unlock tone should be less vigorous than the closing tone. Whilst we're at it, I can think of multiple trains that aren't multi tone that are new, e.g. Class 700.

But I agree that some hustle alarms e.g. Class 333 aren't loud enough.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Is there really a need for a multi tone hustle alarm? As long as there is some sort of tone it should be okay - obviously the door unlock tone should be less vigorous than the closing tone. Whilst we're at it, I can think of multiple trains that aren't multi tone that are new, e.g. Class 700.

But I agree that some hustle alarms e.g. Class 333 aren't loud enough.
I don't think there's theoretically anything wrong with it; the problem is that the standard specifies it so my assumption would be that all the others are non compliant?

3973EXL

Established Member

NoMorePacers

Established Member
4/6 Bristol - Heaton 5/6 Heaton - Bristol
Are those a pair of 158 moves by chance?

superkev

Established Member
4/6 Bristol - Heaton 5/6 Heaton - Bristol
I always puzzled why someone at Northern puts paths on each week sometimes over 10 when often only a couple seem to get used. Seems both a waste of someone's time and reserving paths that may be needed by someone else. Perhaps network rail should start charging.
Kev

superkev

Established Member
I hear some pebble brain has graffitied 150 001 at NH so it may be not long out of paint, overhaul. I thought NH was fairly secure.
Kev

3973EXL

Established Member
I always puzzled why someone at Northern puts paths on each week sometimes over 10 when often only a couple seem to get used. Seems both a waste of someone's time and reserving paths that may be needed by someone else. Perhaps network rail should start charging.
Kev
Not sure what Northern has to do with it? The paths you refer to are operated by FOC's.

3973EXL

Established Member
6/6 STP 5Q12 Eastleigh - Heaton

6/6 STP/VAR Neville Hill

6/6 STP Newton Heath

Last edited: