• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

3973EXL

Established Member
Well, 5B42 1022 NH - Crewe is running.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I was on 156421 last week. It has USB/wi-fi/saloon screens etc..

All the Porterbrook 156's except 460 which has only just come back from Wolverton now have these.

No sign of any Heaton-Holbeck moves today but there was one to and from Neville Hill, a 3 car 158 swap perhaps?

Adam0984

All the Porterbrook 156's except 460 which has only just come back from Wolverton now have these.

No sign of any Heaton-Holbeck moves today but there was one to and from Neville Hill, a 3 car 158 swap perhaps?
They dont come from Heaton because they're 3 cars which only rarely venture to Heaton for exam.
158755 was going onto Holbeck earlier so presumably the next culprit for interior refresh

OTRail

Are the 3 car units having Fainsa seats fitted?
They dont come from Heaton because they're 3 cars which only rarely venture to Heaton for exam.
158755 was going onto Holbeck earlier so presumably the next culprit for interior refresh

superkev

Established Member
All the Porterbrook 156's except 460 which has only just come back from Wolverton now have digital train mods.
Perhaps strangely with just one Portabook 156 460 reportedly not having digital train mods I have 156 451 as the only Angel one having them. Am I correct that 460 is Portabook and 451 an Angel unit.
K

simon7929

The first Porterbrook unit for a full refurb was 156420. It was refurbished mid 2018 but had no wifi or USB when it returned. The only Angel unit to have the full refurb with everything complete is 156451.

Sorry when I said Heaton-Holbeck moves I was referring to 156s!

Perhaps strangely with just one Portabook 156 460 reportedly not having digital train mods I have 156 451 as the only Angel one having them. Am I correct that 460 is Portabook and 451 an Angel unit.
K

Yes, the Chapman seated 156s are Porterbrook and the Richmond seated ones are Angel, as are the ex ScotRail sets.

The first Porterbrook unit for a full refurb was 156420. It was refurbished mid 2018 but had no wifi or USB when it returned. The only Angel unit to have the full refurb with everything complete is 156451.

Yes, same for the 150's, only one Angel set with USB and WiFi so far which is 220. I'm not sure where the Porterbrook 156s are getting their digital mods done but I suspect it's at Newton Heath. Wherever it is they manage it quickly, I had 156426 2 days after it came back from Wolverton without them and it was back in traffic just over a week after with them fitted. Let's hope they start on the rest of the units soon as they're quite useful to have!

simon7929

The interiors were painted about 18 months to 2 years ago. So whilst the floor and the seats look new. The interior decor is starting to look tatty. This is the problem with staggered refurbishments. The Porterbrook 156 units have been done in one go more or less. So look good almost immediately. Even if it is not for long.

That looks quite nice. I agree though it's bound to more expensive to do things bit by bit.
You wouldn't decorate your living room doing one wall every 2 months and have to move the furniture out each time.
Bizarre but I'm sure it's logical somehow in railway terms.

Liverpool 507

They look very good, especially the refurbed Porterbrook and ex SR units. I wasn’t keen on lino floor 156s at first, but they’ve warmed on me and are looking so much better than their previous state.

superkev

Established Member
RE When usb sockets etc are fitted to units that have already had some interior refurbishment.
I like to think that wiring etc. has been done and they don't have to dismantle the interiors again. Sadly I dont live in hope
K

AMD

I don't understand this new concept of 'a bit at a time'.. when it comes to refurbs?
Principally driven by the need to get a lot of units 'PRMed' before 31/12/19, so that became phase 1, with the 'nice stuff' following later when the time pressure is off - you can only take so many units out of use at a time without affecting the train plan.

Liverpool 507

RE When usb sockets etc are fitted to units that have already had some interior refurbishment.
I like to think that wiring etc. has been done and they don't have to dismantle the interiors again. Sadly I dont live in hope
K

The 156 units are starting to have a quick turnover in regard to the digital modifications being carried out.