• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Just got on 156451 and 156489, they are both in the new livery and looking pretty dirty, hope they get a good wash soon! The perils of a white colour scheme....

Attachments

• received_10215752156176565.jpeg
    received_10215752156176565.jpeg
    643.5 KB · Views: 157

Lemmy99uk

Is it likely the 2 ex Scotrail 158s will be pressed in to service straightaway?

Unlikely. They are needed for traction training at various depots, starting with Barrow and so will probably not be pressed into service straight away.

M1544

155345 is back on Neville Hill.
155345 arrived back early December as I saw it pass through Leeds enroute but just hasn’t gone back into passenger service since getting back as yet. It’s mentioned somewhere earlier in the thread.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Just got on 156451 and 156489, they are both in the new livery and looking pretty dirty, hope they get a good wash soon! The perils of a white colour scheme....
I was on a 156 to Preston on the 27th. It had the everyday sort of grime when it arrived at Piccadilly. I thought it was getting dirtier and dirtier as we got closer to Preston. When I got off, the whole side up to about half a foot below the windows was orange. I saw another culprit at Deansgate a few weeks prior.

superkev

Established Member
U
Unlikely. They are needed for traction training at various depots, starting with Barrow and so will probably not be pressed into service straight away.
Interesting to note 870/1and the other 6 due from scotrail are of the more powerfully 400hp type joining northerns solitary 400hp one 872.
I wonder if Northern will allocate them to a hilly route like the s and c to make use of the 50 extra horses.
I suspect the people who do timetables/ allocations don't know there's a difference.
K

ash39

Established Member
Yes it has, dropped lucky this morning and had a 14 minute change at Hebden Bridge and it passed through whilst I was there. Surprised to see it unbranded, guess Northern apply the logos themselves?

brel york

Yeah , it was a bit late leaving donny , should have been leaving west yard at 8 , driver came and drove it out of workshop I’m sure he’s bringing 150 144 back

driver_m

Established Member
I was on a 156 to Preston on the 27th. It had the everyday sort of grime when it arrived at Piccadilly. I thought it was getting dirtier and dirtier as we got closer to Preston. When I got off, the whole side up to about half a foot below the windows was orange. I saw another culprit at Deansgate a few weeks prior.

There was a full line up of white and silver trains this morning, at lime st all looking filthy apart from the London Midland and TPE which were pretty clean. Even ours was grubby which is unusual. Have all the washers been turned off because of the cold weather? I know the edge hill one is working but are the others? Allerton one clearly isn't, or not being used.

Rail Blues

That's dirtier than Leeds United.

I wonder what genius thought 'hmm a region known for its inhospitable climate, I know what'll work well, especially in winter ... predominantly white trains.'

To customers it creates a terrible first impression: a filthy train rolling up, screams, "we are a bunch of half arsed amateurs who don't care about the standard of service we provide."

driver_m

Established Member
That's dirtier than Leeds United.

I wonder what genius thought 'hmm a region known for its inhospitable climate, I know what'll work well, especially in winter ... predominantly white trains.'

To customers it creates a terrible first impression: a filthy train rolling up, screams, "we are a bunch of half arsed amateurs who don't care about the standard of service we provide."

It is a bad look. Leccy units are normally fairly clean, but I'm surprised at just how dirty these 319s look already, even the ones that have been fully tarted up.

Rail Blues

There was a full line up of white and silver trains this morning, at lime st all looking filthy apart from the London Midland and TPE which were pretty clean. Even ours was grubby which is unusual. Have all the washers been turned off because of the cold weather? I know the edge hill one is working but are the others? Allerton one clearly isn't, or not being used.

Generally, how often will a unit go through the washer?

brel york

some of the 150s have corrosion holes low down on the body side especially around the three pillars either side of the door portal pillar,decals over old paint hides a multitude of sins , the shot blaster soon finds them , we had a 150/2 with 45 holes in the roof , kilmarnock put a full roof on one of the cars on the second unit they did

Geeves

Established Member
156443 made it to Glasgow today and looked pretty clean in the new livery! The reason why there are some dirty trains around is because the wash plants do not work below 5c so as not to damage the equipment. December and January always sees a large selection of dirty units.

I was in London recently and I saw lots of dirty looking (brand new) 700s. so its not just Northern.

Last edited:

driver_m

Established Member
Generally, how often will a unit go through the washer?

Our pendos usually go through daily if they go on a depot. Longsight and Edge Hill both usually put the sets through before stabling. Other depots likely to be a similar process.