• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

KevinTurvey

Re the sag on 153's - I am sure they left the factory with some degree of sag when new - It was one of the first things I noticed about them as the striped provincial livery really drew your eye to it along the long body length, especially when photographed through a telephoto lens. So perhaps it's not such a big issue?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
They're badly built, that's clear... but could what you describe be individual panels slipping (or simply the doors being a bit crap, they were from the start!) rather than the entire bodyshell sagging. After all, the doors are at the ends so you'd think anything affecting the whole bodyshell would be less apparent there.
Some pictures online show a noticeable warp.

brel york

The window frames could have been fitted badly , we were supposed to put all the windows in temporary and then use a string line along the transom rails to check they were in line , we never bothered , the problem with lots of windows is they will look bad if there not all in a straight line

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
The window frames could have been fitted badly , we were supposed to put all the windows in temporary and then use a string line along the transom rails to check they were in line , we never bothered , the problem with lots of windows is they will look bad if there not all in a straight line
So every single 155/3 that has the sagging most notable in the windows has had them incorrectly fitted. I doubt that.

brel york

I also doubt that but get a toilet roll tube and hold it horizontal, now bend it downwards to represent the sag , watch what happens at the opposite side , it’s pretty simple really , and they were built with an opposite camber to allow for the weight of the underframee equipment and a substantial loading of People

Skiptonjohn

Class 333 units are supposed to be refurbished and Arriva said that all 16 would be refurbished in 2018. So far there seems to be no sign of any unit having been refurbished or repainted into the Northern Rail,white livery. When will this start?

northernchris

Established Member
Class 333 units are supposed to be refurbished and Arriva said that all 16 would be refurbished in 2018. So far there seems to be no sign of any unit having been refurbished or repainted into the Northern Rail,white livery. When will this start?

Would have thought the 333s are a lower priority than the 150/156/158 and given there's no slack in the fleet at the moment it makes sense to hold off a little longer

Adam0984

The electric fleet is run on a very tight shoe string it’s impossible to have 1 out of service for a prolonged period that could be running. They probably could have done it if the cascades of trains from other TOCs had happened when planned by running a double 158 to cover

Allwinter_Kit

2018? That is surprisingly early. I had gathered that since they were PRM-compliant they were right at the back of the line for a refresh. Especially given the lack of spare capacity aluded to above!

Aren't the 331s due in 2021 for bits of Aire/Wharfe? If so I suspect the first refurbs of the 333s will be then, once a couple of diagrams have been replaced and there is more slack.

pemma

Veteran Member
Aren't the 331s due in 2021 for bits of Aire/Wharfe? If so I suspect the first refurbs of the 333s will be then, once a couple of diagrams have been replaced and there is more slack.

They better arrive by Spring 2020 given that's when the 321s, 322s and 5 of the 319s go off-lease. ;)

xotGD

Established Member
It would be nice if the 333s could be refurbished to the same specification as the new 331s.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It would be nice if the 333s could be refurbished to the same specification as the new 331s.
Nice, yes.
Practical? I'm not so sure. Given the crowding in the peaks I'm not sure it'd be the best idea. Much like how the Pompey direct was run with 450s rather than 444s for the most part (though it is getting 442s now, so who knows?).

Allwinter_Kit

As far as I know (which is not very far at all!) I believe the end carriages with the cabs will have 2x2 seating rather than 3x2 to increase standing capacity. Otherwise it'll probably just be a new seat cover and lick of paint job.

Hopefully new floors too i'd imagine, some of them are in surprisingly poor nick!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I see it myself.

Try putting a ruler against the bottom window line in one of the photos above and you'll see it - it's only slight though which is probably why some people can't. It's only a couple of pixels on the screen, so probably only an inch or so in real life.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I see it myself.

Try putting a ruler against the bottom window line in one of the photos above and you'll see it - it's only slight though which is probably why some people can't. It's only a couple of pixels on the screen, so probably only an inch or so in real life.
Ain't nobody got time for that! ;)

I don't know how the vehicles were constructed, but it appears that the bodyside panels aren't structural but are riveted onto a frame. If this is the case, a slightly wibbly idea would be to replace these panels, allowing deeper windows. This coupled with a thorough interior overhaul could provide a solution to the "scenic stock" ideas for routes like the Settle and Carlisle line. It'd never happen of course!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ain't nobody got time for that! ;)

I don't know how the vehicles were constructed, but it appears that the bodyside panels aren't structural but are riveted onto a frame. If this is the case, a slightly wibbly idea would be to replace these panels, allowing deeper windows. This coupled with a thorough interior overhaul could provide a solution to the "scenic stock" ideas for routes like the Settle and Carlisle line. It'd never happen of course!

They're already pretty good for scenic routes, the "wall" between the windows is narrow so provided you fit high up enough seats the view out is very good.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
They're already pretty good for scenic routes, the "wall" between the windows is narrow so provided you fit high up enough seats the view out is very good.
That's a more cost-effective way for sure. My point was really that if you throw enough money at them they could be decent machines. The high windows are less of a problem for me now I'm an adult (even a below-average height one) but one of my early memories of Sprinters in general, but particularly 155s, is being a kid annoyed that I couldn't see out of the windows!

Speaking of Northern units in general, slight issues round Mirfield today with the 1605 to Huddersfield AND the 1608 to Leeds both cancelled due to train faults. All the new seats in the world are neither use nor ornament if the vehicles themselves keep breaking down.

td97

Established Member
The ex FGW 150's that were off lease but stayed at Barton Hill for 2 weeks - 108 and 128 - does anyone know if these have been refurbished/re-liveried/maintenance/nothing?