• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Fixed that for you...:D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Orange......."The future's bright : The future's orange".

About time the Battle of the Boyne was forgotten...<(

I was thinking more a yellow/blue or yellow/grey- Nederlandse Spoorwegen inspired rather than more widely Dutch. BR Civil Engineers livery looked great on every loco that got it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
That looks like the same destination screen as their 150s and 319s. I hope it isn't because the text is so flickery and makes very poor use of the available space.

mikemcniven

Good to finally see a new Northern livery been prepared, was a shame there wasn't one on launch day like with TransPennine Express.

superkev

Established Member
Although any improvement to the inherited run down interiors I suspect with the 158s the opertunity will be missed to do some mid life reengineering like making the air cooling more reliable and updating the engine and transmission to class 172 level. The engines could be uprated to 400hp as the 159's and a ZF gearbox like being trialled on set is reported to give a worthwhile fuel saving.
Such a 158 with a decent interior could be better than anything since.
Kev

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Good to finally see a new Northern livery been prepared, was a shame there wasn't one on launch day like with TransPennine Express.

I disagree- TPE revinyled a couple of units, filled them with glossy brochures boasting of all the wonderful things that were in the future- but the units still had the tired, gaudy interiors they always had, and passengers still had to squeeze into vestibules to get on board. At least the "soft launch" from Northern didn't write any cheques that it couldn't cash!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I disagree- TPE revinyled a couple of units, filled them with glossy brochures boasting of all the wonderful things that were in the future- but the units still had the tired, gaudy interiors they always had, and passengers still had to squeeze into vestibules to get on board. At least the "soft launch" from Northern didn't write any cheques that it couldn't cash!

Wheres that like button!

pemma

Veteran Member

I remember the unit swap on the day which meant a 156 pulled in to Piccadilly platform 11 to prevent a Pacer from getting photographed alongside TPE's 185 in the brand new livery.

Although Northern did use the term 'fully refurbished trains' which doesn't seem to automatically include new seats.

On Moderation
Although any improvement to the inherited run down interiors I suspect with the 158s the opertunity will be missed to do some mid life reengineering like making the air cooling more reliable and updating the engine and transmission to class 172 level. The engines could be uprated to 400hp as the 159's and a ZF gearbox like being trialled on set is reported to give a worthwhile fuel saving.
Such a 158 with a decent interior could be better than anything since.
Kev

There's noting wrong with the Liebherr aircon that most 158s have if it is correctly maintained and staff know how to use it.

Two points, really:
1. The system takes time to cool the train down when switched on, but many guards open the hoppers assuming it isn't working. Of course the system is then fighting a losing battle trying to cool the outside air.
2. The system needs to be maintained. Those TOCs with the least problems (e.g. SWT) have an annual maintenance plan for the aircon that sees exams done in the kit every spring. Other TOCs that have a reputation for poor fleet condition (e.g. Northern) probably don't bother and it shows. Hopefully Arriva will change that in the new franchise,

Chrisyd

I was on the 156 which has been made DDA compliant last night. When it came into Salford Central you could not read the destination on the front as the sun was on it (this has been changed from a roller to a dot matrix display). Also in the long term will the displays in the carriage show more than just the final destination continuously?

pemma

Veteran Member
Also in the long term will the displays in the carriage show more than just the final destination continuously?

Northern will have to program in the full list of stations and make them display next station announcements otherwise they'll be breaching the equalities act.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Looks like the first 158 is almost ready, not my photo so I will link to it instead

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16243112@N08/28392386333/in/photostream/

Not sure how I missed the fact that it's one of the 3-car units that's being refurbished!

Northern will have to program in the full list of stations and make them display next station announcements otherwise they'll be breaching the equalities act.

I was under the impression that a side display was required for full compliance, yet none of the units refurbished thus far have any. Is this something that "legacy" stock has a derogation for?

Paul_10

Well they did have them programmed in but I think one of the members already mentioned why its currently only showing the final destination at the moment. Hopefully some amendments will be made though as the announcements were just too long especially if your on a train stopping at a lot of stops.

The displays Northern are putting in place of the roller blinds are imo really poor and in no way can they be classed as DDA proof, they are hard too see from a distance as the text is far too small, something like the ScotRails displays are perfect imo. I still can't get over whoever thought it was a good idea to put "Newcastle Cent" onto the display where just putting Newcastle will be much more adaquate especially when "Newcastle Cent" does not not even fully fit on the display! its just looks really shoddy too me. Hopefully Northern got the sence that the displays can scroll from Right to left(or whichever) in the future and have the font of the text much more suitable.

Speaking of the 156's, I know they are getting the DDA improvements but are they heading to Kilmarnock to get refurbished in the future? Just that I would not class some DDA moderations as a refurbishment myself.

pemma

Veteran Member
The displays Northern are putting in place of the roller blinds are imo really poor and in no way can they be classed as DDA proof, they are hard too see from a distance as the text is far too small, something like the ScotRails displays are perfect imo.

It is the ROSCO who are responsible for the accessibility modifications and they are able to get exemptions for minor infringements on older stock. The modified 150s have door controls at the wrong height but an exemption has been granted for that.

NORMAN471

That looks rather fine, like almost brand new!
It looks as if the front end numbers on 158752 may be behind the glass and will finally prevent the numbers from scraping off which seems to be a common occurrence. If this is the case, why has it never been done before on the 158s, or has it?

J-2739

Established Member
More importantly what does the inside look like and is the air con fully operational?

New seat covers probably and extra unreliable air con to go with the unreliable air con! <D
I notice a couple of the emergency hoppers are open already. Bad omen perhaps.
K

I think the air con was turned off during that photo.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It looks as if the front end numbers on 158752 may be behind the glass and will finally prevent the numbers from scraping off which seems to be a common occurrence. If this is the case, why has it never been done before on the 158s, or has it?

I'm not sure, I've never seen a 158 with its numbers scratched.

pemma

Veteran Member
New seat covers probably and extra unreliable air con to go with the unreliable air con! <D

The 158s are the one class of DMUs where Northern are required to go above the minimum level as they all have to be done to the same standard and some of them have to be suitable for Northern Connect services.

BurtonM

Shame the end numbers aren't in Rail Alphabet as it's a nice finisher. Looking good though and excited to see the finished product. I bet when the 158s start coming back in full force the volume of complaints about quality of trains increases, too. It's going to set a precedent for any future refurbs too...

I just can't wait for it to come back! They took their time though, 4 months and still not returned. Hope they speed up the process for all the other, due to be refurbished, trains. It'd be good to see the interior and maybe, if / when, it's booked into RTT.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I just can't wait for it to come back! They took their time though, 4 months and still not returned. Hope they speed up the process for all the other, due to be refurbished, trains. It'd be good to see the interior and maybe, if / when, it's booked into RTT.

Generally the first take the longest. They take their time and make sure nothing is missed and confirm the scope for the remainder of the project.

pdq

I'm on a 158 that has got new USB Power outlets at the table seats and has wifi fitted
1ad44ad8ae85592cbf2a26563bb51c2c.jpg
70e3109de0801fde97ba5146ad9f21f1.jpg

Established Member
That's 158906, it's been fitted with those since the end of last year if I remember correctly.