• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

stu99

This looks quite nice- I think it looks smart. Do you know if this unit previously had Chapman seats, or 2+2 Ashbourne style seats?
If Ashbourne style, then that could be a shame, as they were really comfy (imo). If Chapman, then this is likely an upgrade (I really don't like chapman seats on 158).

However, I will reserve my judgement until I get to travel on a unit with this setup.
It had an interior like this one (not my photo) https://flic.kr/p/HoNo9B

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
looks smart better carpet design than previously used however those seats look like a downgrade
Compared to some of the seats seen in new stock, they look brilliant... not that that's saying much!

I'm less keen on the choice of seat fabric, as the same stuff is already looking threadbare on some of the 150s.

pemma

Veteran Member
Someone posted on another forum the refurbished 158 doesn't have fold down tables. Is that correct? If it is then they need to be fitted before they can be used on Northern Connect services.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Someone posted on another forum the refurbished 158 doesn't have fold down tables. Is that correct? If it is then they need to be fitted before they can be used on Northern Connect services.

The supports for the tables are visible on the photos linked to on the previous page. Those familiar with "ironing board" seats will be able to see they are present.

driver_m

Established Member

Look on the interior photos shown and move photos to the right. I can see fold down tables there.

superkev

Established Member
I wonder if my knees will fit without jamming against the seat in front or interlaced with the person opposite as the unrefurbished ones.
K

northernchris

Established Member
Had a ride on 158845 today, it looks very smart and look forward to the rest of the 158 fleet being brought up to standard. The seats aren't as comfortable as the originals, but still adequate and the legroom seemed more generous than before. I must admit I didn't notice the fold down tables, but that doesn't mean they weren't any!

jw

Surprised it was not fitted with LED marker and headlights.

Andyh82

Established Member
And the internal destination display seems to be a dot matrix rather than the blue and green/yellow

Would have been nice if they’d tidied up the front gangway and the under floor equipment boxes as well considering this is being photographed as the launch train.

Killingworth

Established Member
This was on a 150/1 on the Hope Valley line when we found how little leg room there is for 3 6 footers facing each other, with a 5 footer in between making it possible.
.WP_20180307_09_35_28_Pro.jpg

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

I'm of the understanding that the Northern Connect franchise specification customer information screens and electronic seat reservation will be added/made to work in the near future. The LED screens shown will simply have been to make the unit ready for service, after all we are all too aware of Northern's DMU fleet being overstretched owing to events out of their control.
No more has come of the chat on here of FAINSA seats going into 156's. Has this plan been dropped or was it just forum speculation in the first place?

MatthewRead

On Moderation

LOL The Irony

On Moderation

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Northern's refurbishments are pretty poor. I've been on refurbished 156s with huge leakages between carriage vestibules. I'm not a regular viewer but I was watching Question Time the other day from Dewsbury and even the panellists describe the Northern service as "complete rubbish".

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...orthern-railway-wigan-wallgate-train-15180630
Strictly speaking there aren't any refurbished units except 158845 (there's also the issue of 170476 but we don't really know about that one for sure). The other units have merely been modified. They will need to go back.

Wtloild

Northern's refurbishments are pretty poor. I've been on refurbished 156s with huge leakages between carriage vestibules. I'm not a regular viewer but I was watching Question Time the other day from Dewsbury and even the panellists describe the Northern service as "complete rubbish".

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...orthern-railway-wigan-wallgate-train-15180630
Earlier this year, I travelled on a 156 from Carlisle to Newcastle which had a massive leak from the window, to the point where half a dozen people moved to the next carriage to get away from it.

ic31420

Really like the northern 158s

I'm not interested in the LED gimmicks, seat reservations etc, but the unit looks bright and smart. Northern really need to focus on providing basic simple clean smart interiors that can be kept that way.

The problem with the 158 will be how long northern can keep it like that!

Last edited:

js1000

Strictly speaking there aren't any refurbished units except 158845 (there's also the issue of 170476 but we don't really know about that one for sure). The other units have merely been modified. They will need to go back.
Is this true? So the 150s/156s/158s as well as the 319s will all be modernised in the coming years? Have the lack of available diesel units prevented this process to date as it requires to temporarily take trains out of service to modernise?

They've been given a deep clean - but "refurbishment" is pushing it. "As new" modernisation? Definitely not!