• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Unit Refurbishments

jonesy3001

Established Member
150125 and 150126 got the northern treatment quickly at holbeck as they got PRM mods done before they transferred to northern from FGW/GWR.
Priority will be now to get has much done with the PRM mods before they go for proper refurbishment,the ex london midland 150/1s won't need much doing has they had work done when they were a 3 car train with 150/2 car in the middle.
150103/110-119 and 132, don't know the 150/2s that transferred.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvey B

The priority is getting them up to PRM standard as quick as possible by spending the least amount of time out of traffic hence the phased approach
I guess if it wasn't for this phased approach and if Northern did the interior refurb at the same time then I think there would have been more units to go for PRM mods and that would have made it impossible to complete them by December

Harvey B

150125 and 150126 got the northern treatment quickly at holbeck as they got PRM mods done before they transferred to northern from FGW/GWR.
Priority will be now to get has much done with the PRM mods before they go for proper refurbishment,the ex london midland 150/1s won't need much doing has they had work done when they were a 3 car train with 150/2 car in the middle.
150103/110-119 and 132, don't know the 150/2s that transferred.
I've heard from someone else that Northern are getting the extra 150s from FGW/GWR

chrissawer

Definitely not 207, that transferred down from Northern to GWR in exchange for 209.

On the subject of 150209, I've seen it fairly recently in its unrefurbished toiletless state, coupled to a 153 on one of the Rochdale - Clitheroe via Manchester services.

Anyone know if it's still the plan to leave both carriages toilet free, split them up and insert into 150/1 units to make three car units? Or will it be refurbished and a toilet fitted? Presumably one of these things has to happen by the end of the year.

CHAPS2034

Well @507021 said that we were getting 150207. His post is below:

But then again what do I know about unit numbers

No he didn't say 207 was coming. The word if at the beginning of the sentence suggests an uncertainty.

If 150001/002 and 150202/207/216 join Northern from GWR, then that's 243 units.

CW

Harvey B

No he didn't say 207 was coming. The word if at the beginning of the sentence suggests an uncertainty.

If 150001/002 and 150202/207/216 join Northern from GWR, then that's 243 units.

CW
I still don't understand which 3 units will join Northern to make up the 243 units

Harvey B

That was before the 769s were thought of.
Did you count them?
No because of two reasons
the first is that they're technically 'new units' even though they're 319s that have been made into a bi mode conversion.
The second reason is because it would take the number above 243. This is also the reason why I don't count the 323s in Northern's main refurb program. So I count them and the 323s as a separate program altogether.

Last edited:

JModulo

Passed a 150 this morning at Wabtec Kilmarnock (271?) on my way to work. Looked to be very close to completion and was being shunted around the yard.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I got my first refurbished 158 with the new hard seats yesterday. I wasn't impressed. Northern - if you're feeling short of money, this would be a good thing to drop.

Mathew S

Established Member
I got my first refurbished 158 with the new hard seats yesterday. I wasn't impressed. Northern - if you're feeling short of money, this would be a good thing to drop.
Just shows how subjective seats are; I've had one of the refurbished 158s with the new seats twice now. Once was Manchester - Bolton, and once Manchester - Wigan, so I've only done up to 30 mins on them, but I thought they were pretty comfortable. It helps that they've got higher backs, for me, I don't like low backed seats.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Just shows how subjective seats are; I've had one of the refurbished 158s with the new seats twice now. Once was Manchester - Bolton, and once Manchester - Wigan, so I've only done up to 30 mins on them, but I thought they were pretty comfortable. It helps that they've got higher backs, for me, I don't like low backed seats.

Yes, but those who like hard seats already have every new train built in the last ten years to enjoy. Why spoil our nice soft seated ones.

Mathew S

Established Member
Yes, but those who like hard seats already have every new train built in the last ten years to enjoy. Why spoil our nice soft seated ones.
I don't "like hard seats," I like those seats, subtle but important difference there. Both hard and soft seats can be terrible, and both hard and soft seats can be excellent.
As I understand it, the new 158 seats match those on the 195s and 331s, so I guess consistency (of the Northern Connect offer) was a big part of the reasoning.

More broadly, I'd been meaning to post this for a while, I was extremely impressed with the fully refurbished 158 I travelled on. Bright, light, comfortable, free WiFi, USB charging, and a smoother ride as well it seemed. If these units are the future, it can't come soon enough.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I don't "like hard seats," I like those seats, subtle but important difference there. Both hard and soft seats can be terrible, and both hard and soft seats can be excellent.
As I understand it, the new 158 seats match those on the 195s and 331s, so I guess consistency (of the Northern Connect offer) was a big part of the reasoning.

More broadly, I'd been meaning to post this for a while, I was extremely impressed with the fully refurbished 158 I travelled on. Bright, light, comfortable, free WiFi, USB charging, and a smoother ride as well it seemed. If these units are the future, it can't come soon enough.

That's interesting. The one I was on had the original lighting (which I don't mind as I've always found the subdued ambience of the 158's preferable to glaring clinical bright light) and no usb ports or sockets.

Mathew S

Established Member
That's interesting. The one I was on had the original lighting (which I don't mind as I've always found the subdued ambience of the 158's preferable to glaring clinical bright light) and no usb ports or sockets.
I'm not sure whether the original lights have been replaced (or if they have whether the replacement is like for like) but the white interior paint job makes it feel brighter anyway. The USB chargers I saw were at the table seats, I remember thinking they were a bit hidden but I don't recall the exact positioning. I don't think there were any 3-pin sockets, just USBs.

Phlip

If you were on 158904, then that hasn’t had the full refurbishment. The original tables are still in place, there are no USB sockets and it still has the original lighting.