• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

northernchris' travels

Status
Not open for further replies.

northernchris

Established Member
So at the beginning of the year I set myself a challenge to ride every Northern DMU in 2018, and jus over 4 months in I'm doing appallingly bad! So with the great weather, and no peak restrictions today I thought it was the perfect opportunity to purchase a West Yorkshire train DayRover and see what happens

I live next to Leeds station, and a quick look out this morning didn't see anything which caught my eye. I had no plan, so headed to the station for just after 11am and opted for 322483 which was working the 1121 to Doncaster as far as Wakefield Westgate. I sat over the traction motors, and with all the windows open it sounded awesome heading out of Leeds.

From Wakefield, my first crossed off unit of the day, 142096 to Mirfield. A quick change for 158906 for the short journey to Dewsbury, this one seems to follow me around! From there it was 155347 on the 1242 to Manchester Victoria, as far as Brighouse. Another winner! Another quick change for 144022 to Halifax and my third unit cleared.

On arrival at Halifax 158906 was in the adjacent platform on the 1320 to Huddersfield, but as I'd already been on this today decided to let it go and see what turned up on the 1327 Manchester Victoria service. 150275 rolled in, in place of the 3 car 158 which usually works this diagram so although not a required unit boarded it anyway as far as Todmorden. The Calder Valley route is one of my favourites in the area and before I knew it I'd arrived in Todmorden slightly ahead of schedule. The next train eastwards was the 1404 to Leeds via Brighouse and 150204+150224 were working this. I opted for 204 so I could contrast the interior to 275, and must say I prefer the old Northern seat covers to those plain blue ones on 275.

I alighted at Hebden Bridge and boarded 158816 on the 1420 to Halifax, another stalker unit but the air con was set to baltic - just how I like it! From Halifax I was intending on catching the 1456 back down the Calder Valley, but 150150 rolled in and as this was another unit I didn't require opted instead to soak up the sun and await the 1520 to Huddersfield. Glad I did as 142032 was working this - can't remember the last time I got a ride on this. It seemed quite a rough ride even for 142 standards but arrived in Huddersfield on schedule.

It was now 1545 so decided to head back to Leeds to see what was around for the afternoon peak. Transpennine Express services were running with some delays, so decided to have a quick break and come back for the 1613 Hull service. This was worked by 185116+185147 so chose 147 as it is a refurbished set. Due to the earlier delays we had caught up the 1556 Huddersfield-Leeds stopper around Ravensthorpe so it was quite a slow run. The 185s do sound amazing though powering through Morley tunnel from a standing start.

Arrival in Leeds was only 4 minutes late, and this turned out to be the biggest delay of the day!! 155344 was my next choice on the 1652 to Selby, as far as East Garforth. Another ticked off my list, and was especially pleased to get this as these are rumoured to be off to Hull at the timetable change so could be harder to get shortly. 144009+142064 were the units working the return service to Leeds, the 144 being another winner of the day. Arrived back in Leeds around 1730 to find the West Yorkshire triangle services were in meltdown due to a failed 333 near Kirkstall - 333016 was the culprit arriving in Leeds just over an hour late!

158843 was working the 1748 Sheffield via Moorthorpe service, and as it's fairly unusual for a 158 to be on this line chose another trip to Wakefield Westgate as it would connect nicely with the 1813 return. 142070+144006 rolled in bang on time with the 142 being my final winner of the day.

So in just over 7 hours managed to clear 8 units out of 14 services used - only a small dent but it's something! And all for just £7.50!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
A good day trip in West Yorkshire, good luck with clearing Northern DMUs this year, although as you are local it will be easier for you :)

87electric

It's a tough challenge if you don't go out 2 or 3 times a week. Keep on at it though.

dave87016

Established Member
Excellent read 142070 is one of the few remaining northern 142’s I need for the year with the others being 142018/024/050//087

robbeech

Established Member
Despite not “doing” numbers I do sometimes wonder how close I am to being on them all, I must have been on all the 144s and 158s certainly, though not in the space of a year.
Keep on at it and you’ll get there. Sometimes you’ll find they are out in the morning peak so it can become a little more expensive.

northernchris

Established Member
Thanks, I also have an MCard so travelling at peaks isn't an issue. But as it's Zones 1-4 I opted for the DayRover yesterday to give me flexibility to get to Huddersfield/Todmorden without the need for purchasing tickets last minute (didn't want to miss any required units!)

I've got some time off work coming up so will try to spend some time later this month whittling down the list, and I've noticed the Northern £10 day ranger is back on so I think a trip over to the West side is called for :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Thanks, I also have an MCard so travelling at peaks isn't an issue. But as it's Zones 1-4 I opted for the DayRover yesterday to give me flexibility to get to Huddersfield/Todmorden without the need for purchasing tickets last minute (didn't want to miss any required units!)

I've got some time off work coming up so will try to spend some time later this month whittling down the list, and I've noticed the Northern £10 day ranger is back on so I think a trip over to the West side is called for :)

And don't forget about the North East for those Heaton units :)

northernchris

Established Member
True! The 142s do come to Leeds regularly and I've made a bit of progress with those, but the 156s will require a trip or 3 north

Established Member
Sounded like a productive day and for £7.50, you can't grumble at that price, Good luck with the challenge though, will take some doing, I live in the North East and I'm nowhere clearing the Northern Units, mind you I avoid 142s, well all pacers, like the plague. Took me a dogs age to get all the Heaton 156s for haulage, I've seen various HT 156s, in Sheffield, Leeds, Carlisle, Manchester, Barrow, Lancaster, Preston and Wigan.Mind you their 142s are scattered all over too. As the guys have said, stick at it, if you do it, what an achievement that'll be.

northernchris

Established Member
Thanks, I don't mind the pacers and with them being on borrowed time they're the ones I'm most hoping to clear. The 156s certainly do get around, although I'm hopeful from week after next the 156s will make it to Leeds a lot more

PeterY

Established Member
Although I don't do unit numbers, it seems you had a good day out for £7.50
Being a southerner a pacer is a delight :D:D:D. I got a few rides in recently on a ALR.

northernchris

Established Member
Another glorious Bank Holiday Monday seems like a perfect chance to clear a few more units from my 2018 list! With the timetable changes from last week bringing different opportunities I decided to stick to West Yorkshire to see what was around. Like last time, I had no plan - just pick a service at random and take it from there. So, I arrived at Leeds around 1115 and immediately 150224 caught my eye working the 1120 to Manchester Victoria via Brighouse. As it's a required unit I jumped aboard as far as Mirfield. I was aiming to catch the 1146 to Wakefield Kirkgate from there but knew it was a very tight connection, however to my surprise the service arrived on platform 2 at Mirfield meaning it was just a cross platform change and so comfortably made non winner 144022 for the ride to Kirkgate. I'm not sure if the Huddersfield-Wakefield is now allocated a 3 car 144, but if so it does seem a bit of a waste compared to the passenger volumes of some other Northern routes. Arrival at Wakefield Kirkgate was on schedule and a quick transfer to platform 3 saw me pick up 158794+153359 to Leeds via Wakefield Westgate. I opted for the 158 - neither were required units so the 158 won :smile:

Getting back in to Leeds around 1225 I was searching for anything which could be ticked off the list. I didn't have to wait long when 153328 rolled in attached to 158784 on the 1236 to Manchester Victoria. I took the 153 as far as New Pudsey and managed to get 142047 on the return to Leeds, another unit cleared :lol:

I did want to aim for a variety of units and routes so after arriving back in to Leeds at 1310 I was again looking up my options. It seemed luck wasn't on my side as nothing was around that I required, so opted for a lunch break in the hope that things would pick up later in the afternoon. 158756 was working the 1418 to Manchester Victoria, and although this wasn't a unit I needed and it meant heading back down the route I had come from last, I opted for it anyway to Bradford Interchange. There was a 180 in about to head to Kings Cross, and as tempting as it was to hop on to Halifax I instead chose the 1451 back to Leeds, worked by 158851+153304, reducing my 158 requirements by one.

was my next unit to East Garforth - my only reason for choosing this route was to see what was on Neville Hill and East Garforth offers a quick connection for the return journey. 158903 was the 1545 to Huddersfield, and although it's not a unit I need it sounds amazing - easily my favourite 158 so always happy to get this one. Although booked to work through to Huddersfield there was a unit swap in Leeds and the conductor on this service was checking with everyone where they were travelling to to ensure they made the right train going forwards - great service!

My next move was a trip on the Harrogate line. 142092+142094 were working the 1645 to Horsforth. Both were units I required so opted for 094 as it was the front unit and practically empty. In what seemed like no time we were at Horsforth, and after sitting in the sun for a few minutes 150130 rolled in for the trip back to Leeds. Having only recently entered service with Northern this was a definite winner and one thing which surprised me was the difference in interior to the other ex GWR 150s I've been on - it isn't just Northern with multiple variations!

150228 was working the 1748 Sheffield service with 144012 so with 228 being required I hopped on for the short ride to Wakefield Westgate. On alighting I briefly noticed a headboard on the 144 along with some vinyls stuck to the side of the carriages but didn't get chance to make out what it was relating to. The next service back to Leeds was the 1808 ex Knottingley, but as this was 158794 I chose to wait the extra 4 minutes for the ex Sheffield service. This was being worked by 144011+142043 so in order to clear another unit subjected myself to the Merseyrail seats

Out of 13 services 8 were units I needed, so another slight dent made for the year. After the challenges Northern have faced lately, today was very 'old Northern' - friendly staff, reliable trains and a good mix of unit types :smile:

northernchris

Established Member
Another day off work today so what better way to spend it across West Yorkshire's rail network! I'm roughly 75% of the way through the units I require for the year now, the obvious downside being it's now getting more difficult to find the elusive ones.

I started off with the 1120 Leeds-Manchester Victoria as far as Dewsbury, which was worked by required 156420 along with an unidentified 142. From Dewsbury it was 185131 to Huddersfield, this was also a double unit which is quite rare now across North TPE. A quick change at Huddersfield on to the 1208 to Leeds service, which was worked by 156460+158907. The 156 was another unit ticked off my list, although I only travelled as far as Brighouse. A bit of a break here, and in the half hour I was there 2 freights passed through to my surprise

150277 - another unit cleared - was my next train to Hebden Bridge, with a 142 tagged on the back. I didn't really have a plan from here, and with dud 150130 working the next service towards Leeds, I chose to head to Todmorden which was another dud - 155343. Another quick change to head back east saw me on 158752 to Sowerby Bridge. This one seems to follow me around, so it was no surprise to get it today! From Sowerby Bridge, 150269 took me back to Hebden Bridge, another dud. Winner 158759 was my next ride to Halifax, finally clearing the refurbed 158s. Another good connection at Halifax on to non required 150116 to Huddersfield.

I was looking up my options going forwards, and decided to head back to Leeds on Transpennine Express to see what was around there. However, on arrival at Huddersfield there was a bit of disruption to northbound services with the next 2 being rather full so I decided instead to head to Wakefield Kirkgate, which was formed by 144011, another unit which seems to follow me. A quick dash on arrival at Kirkgate saw me make 144016 which was heading to Leeds from Knottingley. This was my shortest ride of the day as I didn't require the unit and knew the Sheffield-Leeds was due at Westgate 4 minutes behind the ex Knottingley. I bailed at Westgate which turned out to be a good move as I managed to clear 142024 for the journey to Leeds. There wasn't much grabbing my attention in Leeds, so I opted for 158793 as far as Shipley, which was working the 1649 to Carlisle with a 153. I could have caught a 333 back to Leeds, but realised there was an ex-Carlisle service due 12 minutes after which had the potential to provide a winner. It didn't, as both 153359+158871 were dud, but still beats a 333 ride!

150138 was in Leeds heading to Sheffield, and as this was a required unit I hopped on back to Wakefield Westgate. My intention was to see what was working both the 1808 and 1812 back to Leeds, but both were dud 142s so I opted to wait a few extra minutes for the Crosscountry HST, powered by 43357+43384. This was only the second Crosscountry HST set I'd been on, and they certainly look very smart and hide their age well.

Out of 14 Northern units, 6 were on my hitlist so a very productive day out :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.