• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NorthernRail Trainee drivers 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

herdster

Hi,

watching this with interest as i passed managers interview for Lime st recently ( beg sept).
Having passed assessments in march 2010 with good passes i then had to retake in April this year for FTPE , as only valid for three years with them . Unfortunately only got a borderline pass in dots this time so as neither FTPE or Northern accept borderlines i am scuppered untill 16th October. Very frustrating as assessment with Northern are valid for 5 years however it looks like my recent attempt supersedes my 2010 results. Hope that makes sense.
So my question is are the people doing the test on 8th Oct doing the old ones or the new ones as i thought new tests due to start in October

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sibber

Have just received the dreaded email and finally the wait is over lol, have a assessment day, 8 October anybody else heard any news best news I've personally had in a while long way too go yet

Congratulations guys. Nothing for me yet I was there on the 24th Also.

ah just come through.....no joy for me this time. 1st attempt so not put off I know what to expect next time. Any tips for how to request feedback, email or call?

Last edited:

mr double 77

As per practice material it is the old tests being used
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Congratulations Mr Double! Just checked my email too, and also have been invited for the next round of testing on the 8th :) Fantastic news :D

Time and location TBC.. Hopefully not far from Manchester/Bolton

Yeah was thinking the same pal, will be good to put a name to the person on here

richie26188

In the same boat - Oct 8 assessment day awaits

God knows how though, flunked the first question had to go back to it at the end of the interview. I was a bag of nerves having not done any sort of interview in years, calmed down after the first 10 minutes and steadied myself.

Specifically asked towards the end can I have another crack at the first question and answered it well.

Are you up for the Wigan or Liverpool roles?

I notice there is two days of tests presuming GBT will be first up?
Congratulations guys. Nothing for me yet I was there on the 24th Also.

ah just come through.....no joy for me this time. 1st attempt so not put off I know what to expect next time. Any tips for how to request feedback, email or call?

Sorry to hear that, keep plugging away.

Its experience you can use next time out in your favour

kingkenny

Did t make it this time gutted but will keeping plugging away and learn from this experience, well done guys

mr double 77

Having scanned the practice material, they have only supplied this for Mechanical test and TRP test so if that is 8th October test or not?? Does say depending on how you do depends if you do all tests or not, and Kingkenny chin up and continue applying its a hard job to land but persistence favours the brave
Ignore above comment as didnt look at all attachment could be any of these tests

mr double 77

Well the dream is over for now received the email, good pass GBT, good pass TRP Parts 1+2 unfortunately a fail on MP4.1 or well lady from Northern Rail was really nice, application is in for conductor at Victoria at least the test I passed will remain on record MP4.1 is going so not all bad good luck to anyone who was successful

richie26188

Just got the dreaded email myself, I too failed in the same area. Gutted but in 6 months ill have another crack.

The tests ive passed should still be valid and I can knuckle down on MP4.1. Next time I know exactly what to expect, so im treating this as a learning curve.

Congratulations to anyone who made it through

mr double 77

Just got the dreaded email myself, I too failed in the same area. Gutted but in 6 months ill have another crack.

The tests ive passed should still be valid and I can knuckle down on MP4.1. Next time I know exactly what to expect, so im treating this as a learning curve.

Congratulations to anyone who made it through

Wouldn't worry about it m8 the test we failed is being scrapped as confirmed by HR when I spoke to them, good thing is Richie your results like mine are remaining so will not have to do again if you do you know you can pass them, also good to hear you have also applied for conductor were was you sat on assessment day as was there at same time

richie26188

I was at the 2pm one. I was sat at the desk closest the front. Where about did you sit?

Was there a morning sitting as well or just the one do you know?

rocking rocket

I had an interview with Northern on Wednesday 25th September for the position of trainee train driver. I was told by HR I would get a yes/no in 10 - 14 days. Now, 16 days later still no reply. Presume I have not got through the interview stage as assessments already taken place. Not impressed, not very professional.

Sorry to hear of your failings chaps.

Did either of you buy any Mechanical Comp books?

With regards my experience back in June, i missed out about 15questions on this test with the intention of going back at the end to randomly guess them....however, i ran out of time and the lady gave no warning of time remaining. So, the questions i left out remained blank so i know i definitely got them wrong! I think i answered about 5 questions......and i still passed it. So im guessing, even though this is a really hard test, it truly is hard, the pass mark must be set very low.

Is anyone starting a course on Monday?

mr double 77

I had the barons book and went on various websites answered all questions , but still failed there wasn't many ??s towards the book examples ie pulleys etc which is what I was expecting, my ? Now is should I be held back for 6 months considering HR at northern rail stated this test will not be used again, so can't obtain any advantage considering I passed the other 3 tests with good pass mark.

I had the barons book and went on various websites answered all questions , but still failed there wasn't many ??s towards the book examples ie pulleys etc which is what I was expecting, my ? Now is should I be held back for 6 months considering HR at northern rail stated this test will not be used again, so can't obtain any advantage considering I passed the other 3 tests with good pass mark.

Yeah, its a difficult test without a doubt. You need that 'mechanical' mind to work them out.

Atleast you know you'll be alright when its dropped.

Beveridges

Established Member
As I have posted many times before, Barrons book is the best of a bad bunch. It only covers about 4 questions out of the 36 in the test. But the other books are useless.

bassethound77

just applied for trainee at leeds. fingers crossed, as i applied for the hull vacancy only for it to be withdrawn after i passed all the online tests.

ST

Hello all,

Can anyone confirm whether the Mechanical Test is definitely being dropped by Northern Rail for the Trainee Position at Leeds and thereafter?

Many thanks.

Beveridges

Established Member
I don't know but when you get invited to an assessment it always tells you which tests are included and which are not

jesslin

Hi, does anyone know what the psychometric testing is like for the conductor application, is it the same as the driver application or totally different.

Andrew32

Hi,

Did my psychometric tests in June.

Comprises of four tests:

First one is 25 rows of shapes and you have to cross the same shapes out if you get what I mean.

Second one is ticket selling

Third one is ticket checking

Fourth is four separate stories/set of instructions and you have multiple choice questions to answer.

The send you practice material well before the test so I'd advise that you use this as it was a great help to me.

Sammy h

Been three months since my last application so I am giving the Leeds vacancy a shot..

herdster

Hi,

Not sure if anyone on here has taken assessments in the last two weeks for the Liverpool or Wigan vacancies but i have an update. Spoke to HR this afternoon and was told that the two people dealing with it have been on a course the last two days and it will be dealt with tomorrow. So will probably be put out of our misery tomorrow or thursday. Leaving it a bit late as most people i presume will have to give 4 weeks notice and the course starts 4 weeks yesterday

rocking rocket

Hi,

Not sure if anyone on here has taken assessments in the last two weeks for the Liverpool or Wigan vacancies but i have an update. Spoke to HR this afternoon and was told that the two people dealing with it have been on a course the last two days and it will be dealt with tomorrow. So will probably be put out of our misery tomorrow or thursday. Leaving it a bit late as most people i presume will have to give 4 weeks notice and the course starts 4 weeks yesterday

I think this is very poor that Northern have not replied to you since the assessments were 2 weeks ago. People on this forum have had replies two days after the assessments to say they had failed on (Mechanics) MP1. Something needs to be done as this is not acceptable to leave people in the lurch like this it is very unprofessional. I hope that you get a reply today, good luck :)

gorilladan

Hi,

Hi there,
Thanks for the heads up. Hope you've received positive news today.
I was at the assessment last Friday for Manchester Trainee Driver. I missed a call this morning but didn't realise I'd missed it as my phone has messed about all day. I checked late afternoon & called Northern back to be informed that I'd passed the assessments :)
At the moment I'm in the "Talent pool" awaiting a training course start date.
I am overjoyed at this fantastic opportunity & would like to thank all the forum contributors for their invaluable advice & knowledge.
Best wishes to everyone awaiting news & the same for anyone trying out for railway positions :)

Sammy h

Not having much luck here.

Applied for the Leeds vacancy and I received an e-mail inviting me to do the online tests whilst I was away for a week.

Usually get put straight through to the next stage as I have already passed the online test, my one year window must have expired. Gutted :(

Status
Not open for further replies.