• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NorthernRail Trainee drivers 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassethound77

Hi I've also applied for the Leeds vacancy and have skipped the online tests as I did them for the Hull vacancy, does anyone know how long it takes to find out if I get to the next stage and what is the next stage, assessment?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jcp124

Hi there

I'm new to the forum so please bear with me if i repeat something that has already been covered. I have applied for the Leeds vacancy and passed the online assessment (i had passed it before in another application ) My main question is I'm only 21 years old and was wondering if it will count against me despite that the fact I've done some safety critical jobs and some flying ?

Finally good luck to all those that applied !!

BravoGolfMike

JCP... Your age will not matter. There is a wide range of people who start driver training, some as young as 21, some much older. The fact you have done safety critical work and flying will be advantageous to your application and will arguably make you a far stronger candidate than someone older but without that experience.

jcp124

Thanks very much BravoGolfMike , here's hoping i get through to the assessment day/interview !

Andrew32

Any news on leeds driving vacancies that were advertised in October and are they any vacancies at Skipton upcoming?

Lastly, can I ask what supernumercy is?

Thanks in advance

bassethound77

I've heard that I passed the online test and now just waiting to see if I've been shortlisted for the assessment day. The waiting is killing me I'm constantly checking my emails.

NI 271

With regard to the Leeds positions, emails are out explaining that they are still in the sifting stage and thanking us for our patience. They will get back to us in the next few weeks.

I don't expect a course to start before January, based on my experiences with Northern at around this time last year.

bassethound77

Yeah it starts in January. I just received my email today. If I haven't done any safety critical jobs or first aid courses or anything should I be worried cos I Beleive I've done good in the tests, that sort of thing I find easy.

Andrew32

Does that mean that if some conductors vacate thier posts to go on this course that thier roles will be filled in January also?

BravoGolfMike

How long would a new driver at Leeds expect to be in the supernumery link?

I'm not based at Leeds but if it's the same as everywhere else, which I expect it will be, it'll vary from no time at all to a couple of years, depending on when vacancies in the links arise. Sorry I can't be more precise but there are so many factors in play it's impossible to be precise. Are you starting a course soon or something?

To the person who asked, Supernumary is where you go once you pass out (at certain depots.) It is a sort of holding pool where your work usually shadows the bottom link. Because you are an extra, it is easier to be released for road learning and Lieu days. If the depot is short staffed you may bypass it and go straight into the link.

jesslin

Hi guys, I'm delighted to say I received an email from northern today to say I've been selected for an interview next Wednesday for the Leeds conductor job, has anyone gone through this type of interview before and could you give me any ideas to what sort of questions may be asked

Andrew32

Most of the questions relate to what you put in your application form, examples of handling difficult situations, problem solving.

Why should we chose you/what can you bring to the company?

Have you worked with disabled people/how would you go about helping them on the train?

Nothern are big on customer service so talk alot about any roles or jobs you have done that demonstrate your ability to give good customer service.

State that you would go that extra mile for the customer.

They will ask you what you know about the company, use Wikipedia and Northern website as I did and got alot of info from these.

Most of all, be yourself, dress smartly and smile and maintain eye to eye contact with the interviewers.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask any questions, it shows that you are interested.

Good luck!

TOCDriver

Nothern are big on customer service so talk alot about any roles or jobs you have done that demonstrate your ability to give good customer service.Good luck!

That's why I think Northern have some of the best guards in the business. 99 percent of the guards I know of are tip-top people who would go out of their way to help people. Northern recognize that their guards are their public face and recruit on that very basis. You have got to come across as being genuinely pleasant and caring when at interview with experience to back that up.

Is anyone starting 18th/19th November at Bolton for the driver course? Lime Street and Wigan I believe?

bassethound77

I applied for the Leeds trainee driver job, but on the job summary what does this mean?

Please Note*Applicants for this role will be considered initially for training course places in January 2014.

Does it mean a job is not guaranteed?

feliner

I'm not based at Leeds but if it's the same as everywhere else, which I expect it will be, it'll vary from no time at all to a couple of years, depending on when vacancies in the links arise. Sorry I can't be more precise but there are so many factors in play it's impossible to be precise. Are you starting a course soon or something?

To the person who asked, Supernumary is where you go once you pass out (at certain depots.) It is a sort of holding pool where your work usually shadows the bottom link. Because you are an extra, it is easier to be released for road learning and Lieu days. If the depot is short staffed you may bypass it and go straight into the link.

Thanks for info,started with Northern in January and am thinking of transferring to Leeds at some point.

ash39

Established Member
Anyone have any experience of Northern's example based interview?

It looks very much like they will ask the same questions they asked on the application. Then if successful, there are potentially two assessment days, all within 3 weeks.

Certainly pushing it for January starts!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

It looks very much like they will ask the same questions they asked on the application. Then if successful, there are potentially two assessment days, all within 3 weeks.

Louby

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Have you heard anything ?

ash39

Established Member
Been invited to interview next week, but struggling to make it at the moment.

Louby

Been invited to interview next week, but struggling to make it at the moment.

Well good luck if you can get there, ill wait for the thanks but no thanks email lol and try again next time

ash39

Established Member
Thank you, I was a bit surprised to be honest. Been trying for about 2 years and now I get a first offer of interview when I wasn't expecting it!

I also thought the next stage after the online test would be the assessments, followed by an interview. Seems like they will have a lot of interviews to do!

Louby

Thank you, I was a bit surprised to be honest. Been trying for about 2 years and now I get a first offer of interview when I wasn't expecting it!

I also thought the next stage after the online test would be the assessments, followed by an interview. Seems like they will have a lot of interviews to do!

I've been trying for about the same but my job alerts expired and I had a matter of hrs to apply for the Leeds job! Just hit the send button then re read my app and I have done more safety stuff but couldn't change it so irs my own fault, they have changed the process as last year it was the app then the dsi tests, ill get there as I'm determined !!

evoluzione

Nope Northern do the DTM interview first, saves them paying for assessments for people they don't like.

ash39

Established Member
Thanks for this. Would there another interview after the two assessment days or would that be it?

bassethound77

I have no idea, this is the first time I've applied to northern so I don't know how they work.
What job are you coming from?

Status
Not open for further replies.