• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northumberland Line to be re-opened to passengers

bluenoxid

Established Member
Why? Okehampton was months early and there is less work in Northumberland. It will be a shame if the DfT doesn’t keep up with promises to grow the network, if it doesn’t gain any route mileage during 2022, having done so in 2021.

A small railway project in London opens in a few weeks. Another smaller project is hoped to open in London in the autumn.

I would hazard a guess that in many recent years, no additional new route mileage is added to the passenger rail network.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A small railway project in London opens in a few weeks. Another smaller project is hoped to open in London in the autumn.

I would hazard a guess that in many recent years, no additional new route mileage is added to the passenger rail network.
Is it not the case that Reston station will open on 23rd May and also some of the Elizabeth Line stations in that same week?

Pinza-C55

Are there? I was under the impression that several station buildings were still in existence, for example Bedlington, as at Okehampton.

I was referring to the fact that at Okehampton the whole trackbed had to be completely ripped up and rebuilt from scratch to reach the station. The works in Northumberland aren’t negligible.

This may the latest news then. Where can I find the planning application?

Bedlington is the only station existing with a building and platform but that's irrelevant since the platform will almost certainly be rebuilt to modern standards. The rest of the stations have been razed many years ago.

androdas

Are there? I was under the impression that several station buildings were still in existence, for example Bedlington
The station buildings at Bedlington are in a pretty sorry state and as far as I can see not part of the plans. The only place that there are even partial platforms in place is Ashington and Bedlington and these have not been used since 1964.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Bedlington is the only station existing with a building and platform but that's irrelevant since the platform will almost certainly be rebuilt to modern standards. The rest of the stations have been razed many years ago.
Bedlington also gets a second platform of course that it never had originally.

Without looking it up again I’m pretty sure the two closed station buildings at the south end of the up platform are outside the scope. They hope to use one for some sort of public use, but that’s a separate proposal. The planning layout drawings seem to be drawn to exclude their footprints. Just checked again and they are retained in Network Rail ownership but not used or required for the scheme. The Up platform operational length commences north of the closed buildings.

This may the latest news then. Where can I find the planning application?
I haven’t tried direct links to planning applications because they usually time out.

One planning application is on the North Tyneside planning site:
Northumberland Park - REF 21/00299/FUL:

The other 5 stations are all on the Northumberland planning site:
Ashington REF 21/00387/CCD
Bedlington REF 21/01106/CCD
Blyth Bebside REF 21/00878/CCD
Newsham REF 21/03720/CCD
Seaton Delaval REF 21/02253/CCD

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It is now after that. Are there any updates? It will be unfortunate if 2022 doesn’t see any new reopening after the success of Okehampton last year.
The decision on the the application for an Order under the Transport & Works Act is still expected "soon". This will be important to authorise some compulsory purchases for Network Rail, amend some rights of way and make some highway changes.

androdas

Bedlington also gets a second platform of course that it never had originally.
Indeed Bedlington was unusual as it only ever had one through platform even though it was double track. The site that is now housing and a care home was Bedlington A Pit and its sidings. It did however have an Ashington facing bay, used AIUI for Newbiggin trains.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Indeed Bedlington was unusual as it only ever had one through platform even though it was double track. The site that is now housing and a care home was Bedlington A Pit and its sidings. It did however have an Ashington facing bay, used AIUI for Newbiggin trains.
There’s quite a lot of planning correspondence which is basically dealing with objections from that care home - that I think is relatively new? I suppose with 20/20 hindsight it was probably built slightly too close to the line. But then I wonder, although it seems obvious now, perhaps the architects didn’t even consider that a potential reopened Bedlington would have two through platforms for the first time?

Established Member
The small railway project in London is of course brand new and not any sort of reopening, but at least it will be added to the network.

androdas

There’s quite a lot of planning correspondence which is basically dealing with objections from that care home - that I think is relatively new? I suppose with 20/20 hindsight it was probably built slightly too close to the line. But then I wonder, although it seems obvious now, perhaps the architects didn’t even consider that a potential reopened Bedlington would have two through platforms for the first time?
The care home (Sleekburn House) was built in mid eighties as far as I can remember. Was certainly there when I went to school in Bedlington Station in the 90s and while the line was much busier with coal trains to the power station and the likes of Ellington colliery / Alcan / Port of Blyth

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The care home (Sleekburn House) was built in mid eighties as far as I can remember. Was certainly there when I went to school in Bedlington Station in the 90s. Was certainly there while the line was much busier with coal trains to the power station and the likes of Ellington colliery / Alcan / Port of Blyth
Ah, it’s older than I thought then. I suppose at that time a station reopening would probably not have been on anyone’s radar…

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The small railway project in London is of course brand new and not any sort of reopening, but at least it will be added to the network.
What does it being a closed route have to do with anything though? Does Barking Riverside not count for you either?

BrianW

Established Member
What does it being a closed route have to do with anything though? Does Barking Riverside not count for you either?

It matters in that it matters to government. 'Beeching reversals' count as a particular programme, budget, commitment and 'say something' to voters about returning to 'the good old days'.
Bids were prepared, at some cost in consultant fees, local political 'buy-in' was needed (IIRC); bids were evaluated, again at some cost, and assessments made of their (political?) 'value'.
(Sadly?) these things matter IF you want things to stand a chance of getting things done.
I agree it ought not to matter if it was a closed route or not beyond what it may mean in terms of land ownerships, alignments etc and that it closed for some reason.
Similarly I agree that 'adding to the network' is of itself not necessarily of value, though it may be. Money is limited and should be allocated to projects most likely to 'deliver' best value.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
It matters in that it matters to government.
I disagree that it genuinely matters to the government or perhaps more importantly the treasury, or indeed other potential funders. There is absolutely nothing in WebTAG (guidance used to appraise value for money for public transport projects) which prioritises former alignments over entirely novel ones.

'Beeching reversals' count as a particular programme, budget, commitment and 'say something' to voters about returning to 'the good old days'.
I agree that's how Ministers have chosen to frame it on Twitter and in their forewards to documents, but that's all just marketing for the brand of the department and Conservative party really.

Bids were prepared, at some cost in consultant fees, local political 'buy-in' was needed (IIRC); bids were evaluated, again at some cost, and assessments made of their (political?) 'value'.
It wasn't a criterion for success that a route was closed by Beeching, or even closed at all.

BrianW

Established Member
I disagree that it genuinely matters to the government or perhaps more importantly the treasury, or indeed other potential funders. There is absolutely nothing in WebTAG (guidance used to appraise value for money for public transport projects) which prioritises former alignments over entirely novel ones.

I agree that's how Ministers have chosen to frame it on Twitter and in their forewards to documents, but that's all just marketing for the brand of the department and Conservative party really.

It wasn't a criterion for success that a route was closed by Beeching, or even closed at all.
Thank you Starmill ; why am I unsurprised ;)

So, nothing in any of this kind of talk?:
Fifteen more proposals to reverse historical reductions in the rail network – known as the Beeching cuts – have secured development funding.

Boris Johnson pledged to “restore many of the rail services lost in the Beeching cuts”.

The Government has previously allocated £500 million towards accessing the feasibility of reopening closed lines and stations.

Hopefully those 'bidding' had the criteria for assessment?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It matters in that it matters to government. 'Beeching reversals' count as a particular programme, budget, commitment and 'say something' to voters about returning to 'the good old days'.

as @Starmill has said, the ‘Restoring your Railway‘ programme did not require proposals to be former lines or stations That had closed, in Beechings time or otherwise. Indeed several of the proposals that were awarded initial business case funding were in that camp.

Killingworth

Established Member
We seem to be getting diverted away from Ashington and Blyth onto a general Beeching track.

Here in South Yorkshire there seemed to be so many submissions that surely one must go all the way. Possibly the easiest is just to open a new station at Waverley (Orgreave) on the existing Sheffield-Lincoln route.

But the point is that reopening closed branch lines is generally not the best use of scarce funds to increase the total number of rail passenger journeys or movement of more freght.

We most certainly need more rail investment and quickly. Resignalling, electrification, and reconfiguring of existing tracks. Speaking from Sheffield there's so much of that needing doing in the Sheaf and Don valleys and at Sheffield's old Midland station. Long old platforms designed for trains of maybe 14, 15 or 16 coaches would be better configured to more easily take two modern trains of 4, 5 or 6. That would bring better value for more users than reopening many of the long closed lines.

As I type I recall Newcastle Central as it was when the Ashington line was closed to passenger traffic. Back then there was no room for these services and they terminated at Manors, as they had since they started, the old Blyth and Tyne. The old electrified services occupied all the east facing bay platforms, now car parking. If the old B & T services had terminated at Central I feel sure there would have been much greater use and less reason for withdrawal.

To conclude almost on topic I'd hope these new services could be extended to Metro Centre.

Established Member
Is this the even smaller railway project in London that was mentioned earlier. This is the first I’ve heard of it. My knowledge of the railway geography of London isn’t up to scratch because I don’t travel there.
(Sadly?) these things matter IF you want things to stand a chance of getting things done.
I agree it ought not to matter if it was a closed route or not beyond what it may mean in terms of land ownerships, alignments etc and that it closed for some reason.
Similarly I agree that 'adding to the network' is of itself not necessarily of value, though it may be. Money is limited and should be allocated to projects most likely to 'deliver' best value.
Mileage added to the network is of course good news and represents a commitment to rail as a mode of transport, as opposed to road building, but “Beeching reversals” (regardless of whether the routes in question were actually closed by him or someone else, he is still a symbol of railway closures) give off a very different image to the population of this country, especially outside of the M25, than a mile of new track in East London, which I am sure will be electrified from day 1.

I don’t know why it is seen as a ridiculous programme of reopening basket case loss making branch lines in the middle of nowhere which will perpetually haemorrhage money in an attempt to win votes, when there are some quite significant population centres in this country which are cut off from each other, or cut off completely, without the possession and use of a car.

Is the Barking Riverside extension a mile of new track in East London because I’m not sure?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Is this the even smaller railway project in London that was mentioned earlier. This is the first I’ve heard of it. My knowledge of the railway geography of London isn’t up to scratch because I don’t travel there.
It's difficult to see what you're getting at here. Perhaps you could avoid making such sweeping claims and grand assertions if your knowledge "isn't up to scratch"?

but “Beeching reversals” (regardless of whether the routes in question were actually closed by him or someone else, he is still a symbol of railway closures) give off a very different image to the population of this country, especially outside of the M25, than a mile of new track in East London, which I am sure will be electrified from day 1.
It sounds like you're talking about just railway enthusiasts to me, not "the population of this country". You're correct to suggest that enthusiasts get less excited about a very efficient mass transit railway than they do about country branch lines. However the former are the future of railways in this country and the latter are not.

I don’t know why it is seen as a ridiculous programme of reopening basket case loss making branch lines in the middle of nowhere which will perpetually haemorrhage money in an attempt to win votes, when there are some quite significant population centres in this country which are cut off from each other, or cut off completely, without the possession and use of a car.
Nearly all railways are financially loss making, but I can assure you that the Northumberland line even now has a reasonably good business case. It's significantly better than the Borders Railway for example. Routes to the "middle of nowhere" as you put it, simply will not be reopening.

Established Member
It's difficult to see what you're getting at here. Perhaps you could avoid making such sweeping claims and grand assertions if your knowledge "isn't up to scratch"?
It is only my knowledge of London which isn’t up to scratch?
It sounds like you're talking about just railway enthusiasts to me, not "the population of this country". You're correct to suggest that enthusiasts get less excited about a very efficient mass transit railway than they do about country branch lines. However the former are the future of railways in this country and the latter are not.
I have heard many people who are certainly not railway enthusiasts have very negative reactions to news headlines such as an extra £4 billion of taxpayers money for Crossrail because it hasn’t opened when they are unable to use a train at all because the “branch” line serving the town where they live with a population of 5 or 6 figures has not been reopened. It may be the highly efficient mass transit system of the future, but it does give a certain sense of “one rule for London…” bearing in mind that 90% of the population of this country does not live in London and therefore will not be able to use it regularly, despite the unquestionable benefit it will have to those that will.
Nearly all railways are financially loss making, but I can assure you that the Northumberland line even now has a reasonably good business case. It's significantly better than the Borders Railway for example. Routes to the "middle of nowhere" as you put it, simply will not be reopening.
The Northumberland line once it reopens will serve as an efficient mass transit line for the City of Newcastle won’t it, because I’m sure some who are less informed would still describe it as a colliery branch line simply to lump it together with all others that closed. It is of course only reopening at all because it has been identified that it would serve a purpose today (or tomorrow).

The Borders Railway as I understand it suffers from issues of overcrowding because passenger numbers were underestimated in the original business case, even with 5 or 6 car trains and it only ends in the middle of nowhere because the English DfT will not allow it to be extended to its correct terminus of Carlisle, which would allow it to be used for LNER Tyne Valley diversions or even have a regular service to England, increasing efficiency on both the WCML and ECML when Newcastle - Edinburgh or Carlisle/Carstairs - Edinburgh or even Glasgow is closed.

I for example do not wish to see the S&CLER reopen through the middle of nowhere West Lancashire countryside, despite it being local to me because every conceivable journey that could possibly be made on it could be facilitated by reopening the Burscough South Curve and using existing lines, as well as providing a diversionary route to Liverpool, which represents a much more efficient use of funds.

BrianW

Established Member
Thank you Starmill and others- I'm learning lots.
Ref #375- I would find it of interest to be directed to WebTAG guidance; and the 'marking' of successful bids- are they published?
Might it be that assessment criteria may be 'adjusted' perhaps to give the desired 'result'?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Thank you Starmill and others- I'm learning lots.
Ref #375- I would find it of interest to be directed to WebTAG guidance; and the 'marking' of successful bids- are they published?
Might it be that assessment criteria may be 'adjusted' perhaps to give the desired 'result'?

WebTAG here: (Theres lots of it and then data book is the key bit)

Marking of bids - not published

Assessment criteria ‘adjusted’: only by direction of the Secretary of State. This is a very rare event.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The Northumberland line once it reopens will serve as an efficient mass transit line for the City of Newcastle won’t it, because I’m sure some who are less informed would still describe it as a colliery branch line simply to lump it together with all others that closed.
Not really, no. A two car diesel unit twice an hour is a long way from efficient. However, it will still reopen because a) politically it's a big winner b) the losses will be smaller than with lots of existing rural routes and c) there's lots of potential for the use of longer battery or hydrogen units in the near future.

bramling

Veteran Member
Not really, no. A two car diesel unit twice an hour is a long way from efficient. However, it will still reopen because a) politically it's a big winner b) the losses will be smaller than with lots of existing rural routes and c) there's lots of potential for the use of longer battery or hydrogen units in the near future.

I’m sure it’s also a factor that much of this area is not in great shape from an economic point of view nowadays, so provision of a decent transport link will allow people to more easily access employment opportunities in Newcastle and wider Tyne & Wear. On that basis there’s significant potential social benefits. Really this scheme should have happened 20-30 years ago.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The station buildings at Bedlington are in a pretty sorry state and as far as I can see not part of the plans. The only place that there are even partial platforms in place is Ashington and Bedlington and these have not been used since 1964.
Also, Ashington’s new single platform station is now to be next to a new offline siding, and the original platforms are not being re-used.

I hope that between us we’ve established that the the total scope of the Northumberland line works is far in excess of the Okehampton reopening, and we’ve not really mentioned the numerous level crossing alterations, extended double track sections, and S&C relocations. Resignalling was mentioned, the work package is summarised in post #345.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I understand that May 2024 is still the target date for entry into service, but my personal view is that this is now too tight to finish all of the capital delivery, plus complete route learning and have the crew to cover the work in place. Considerably more route learning is needed than was for Okehampton. Then again if we do see the decision on the Order this month perhaps things can be pulled back.

Pinza-C55

Whether it matters that it is framed as a "reversal of Beeching" depends on whether you think the original Beeching closure was justified. As far as I am aware all reopened railways in recent years have outperformed their feasibility studies and rail travel as a whole is buoyant.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Whether it matters that it is framed as a "reversal of Beeching" depends on whether you think the original Beeching closure was justified. As far as I am aware all reopened railways in recent years have outperformed their feasibility studies and rail travel as a whole is buoyant.
That doesn't invalidate the original closure, if the intervening 30+ years would have seen a continuous drain on resources and finance. Rail travel as a whole hasn't been buoyant the entire time since 1963.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I'm afraid that this really isn't true. Several newly introduced services since 1990 have performed poorly e.g. Wakefield to Knottingley, Aylesbury to Aylesbury Vale Parkway or Glasgow to Maryhill. Others have outperformed expectations but had BCRs of substantially less than 1 at the time of their authorisation e.g. Borders Railway.

Last edited: