• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norton Bridge and Stafford

Status
Not open for further replies.

ole man

The plans for the upgrades at Norton Bridge and Stafford are at GRIP4 stage, i have seen the layouts and plans, Norton Bridge will be a huge civil engineering feat and Stafford has come as a big surprise no flyover or tunnel

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnuk123

Established Member
What exactly are they doing at Norton Bridge and Stafford ?

Nym

Established Member
What option have the chosen for Norton Bridge then?

And I suppose this will move the issue further up the line to Crewe S Jcns... Or are they not currently a problem?

ole man

The existing Down Slow at Norton Bridge will removed and replaced by a flyover carrying two tracks towards Stone and a single Down slowthat will rejoin the WCML near Great Bridgford, the Juncton at Norton Bridge from Stone will be single track from where the flyover joins it

Last edited:

John55

The existing Down Fast at Norton Bridge will removed and replaced by a flyover carrying two tracks towards Stone and a single Down Fast that will rejoin the WCML near Great Bridgford, the Juncton at Norton Bridge from Stone will be single track from where the flyover joins it

How many down fasts are there at Norton Bridge? NR published various ideas some time ago is it A,B,C or what?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Nothing but a re-signalling was ever going to happen at Stafford, you get quicker crossovers at Doxey aswell but that is about it.

ole man

At stafford there will be a new freight loop line from the Birmingham's using some of the Salop sidings and possible removal of Stafford no5 box, coming out north of the station

David10

Attached 'Stafford map option A with A1' shows all existing track will remain in place with a flyover at Norton Bridge Junction connecting the slows from Stafford with the line to Manchester via Stone. In addition there will be a deviation of the existing slow to avoid conflicting movements.

Will allow XC Manchester, LM Crewe via Stoke and freight services to operate without having to cross the fasts which currently is a bottleneck.

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/aspx/11047.aspx

When the WCML was being upgraded it was at one stage proposed to build an underpass south of Stafford taking the Birmingham lines under the slows.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think you also get 100mph on the Slow between Stafford and Norton Bridge , so XC/LM will have a faster run as well as a non-conflicting junction.

Although the diagram says "Stafford" it only actually covers Norton Bridge.
I haven't seen a diagram for the changes at Stafford itself.

AntoniC

There was a legal notice in the Times about it yesterday.

Sadly I dont subscribe to the electronic version , so I cant link to it, but it seems there is a lot of work to be done.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Nothing but a re-signalling was ever going to happen at Stafford, you get quicker crossovers at Doxey aswell but that is about it.

Back in 2004/5 though, there were some sketchy proposals for major track alterations in the Stafford station area. In the DfT's 2006 progress report on the WCRM they explain not only why the Stafford remodelling is being defferred, but also mention that they'd studied various flyover and diveunder options near the station - but they are definitely going cool on the idea even then, as they mention that a better solution might be a new section of railway.

A trawl through the CP4 enhancement plan updates from 2009 to 2011 shows the project originally being referred to as the Stafford/Colwich remodelling, but it gets renamed to 'Stafford area improvements' as development proceeds towards the scheme as it is now planned...

Badger

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2012/06/18/last-call-for-thoughts-on-200m-midlands-rail-scheme/

Rail passengers and residents are being asked for their final opinions on a £200 million scheme that will improve reliability and see more trains on the West Coast Main Line.

The aim is to relieve a bottleneck at Norton Bridge near Stafford.

Network Rail’s preferred option is a flyover to take Birmingham to Manchester trains over the existing main line...

Who is running the additional Birmingham-Manchester service and with what stock? Just spare voyagers by XC?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Who is running the additional Birmingham-Manchester service and with what stock? Just spare voyagers by XC?

I think it's an extension of the current Northern Manchester-Stoke stooping service (using 323s), though I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.