• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave55uk

I have watching some of these wonderful cab rides of Norway on you tube. It has got me hooked and I want to go there hopefully next year. I would consider staying in Oslo and doing at least one out and back long distance such as Bergen or even to Trondheim or Bodo (!)
Has anybody been there for a railway holiday and got any tips or suggestions? I am 67 years old and have no FIP entitlement so any suggestions regarding fares/passes etc welcome also. Thank you.
I watch a lot of these too and like you would love to go there and do the journeys myself.
Have you seen the Norwegian state TV videos of Trondheim to Bodo?
IIRC they last about 9 hours each - they have done one in winter, summer etc,
and one where it's been edited and takes place in all seasons, and includes
shots from the air, in the cab, and in the train itself.

ScotsRail

Norway prices:

Mars Bar £1
Lager Pint £5

This was over 30 years ago.

I was £13 for a larger pint, around 800ml, in a Trondheim pub last year.

Nice pint though.

Was a bit surprised though that I was one of only 4 people using the train from the airport into town. Had just come off a full flight from Oslo but everyone else went the other way for cars, buses or taxis. Still it did mean the little local train into town was pleasantly quiet for our trip to Hell and beyond.

Attachments

• IMG_20200206_194950.jpg
    IMG_20200206_194950.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200206_195222.jpg
    IMG_20200206_195222.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20200206_195318.jpg
    IMG_20200206_195318.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 26

jamesontheroad

Established Member
The Norwegian government has announced that passenger trains may cross the border to/from Sweden from 6 October.

Not all routes will resume immediately: Trondheim (NO) to Storlien (SE) will probably be the first. Narvik (NO) to Stockholm (SE) trains have been running without passengers into Norway throughout the pandemic because of the difficulty of turning and servicing the trains anywhere north of Kiruna. They could, in theory, take passengers again immediately, but bookings are not yet available.

Last edited:

I was £13 for a larger pint, around 800ml, in a Trondheim pub last year.

Nice pint though.

Was a bit surprised though that I was one of only 4 people using the train from the airport into town. Had just come off a full flight from Oslo but everyone else went the other way for cars, buses or taxis. Still it did mean the little local train into town was pleasantly quiet for our trip to Hell and beyond.
At £13 a pint you must have really been to Hell and back!

jamesontheroad

Established Member
At £13 a pint you must have really been to Hell and back!
It’s not just alcohol that is comparatively expensive. Norway’s sugar tax adds 7.49NOK (about £0.75) per kilo of sugar in a product. Sweden’s border town supermarkets have been hit hard by COVID border closures, since they do a great business selling soda, chocolate and sweets to Norwegians.

takno

Established Member
It’s not just alcohol that is comparatively expensive. Norway’s sugar tax adds 7.49NOK (about £0.75) per kilo of sugar in a product. Sweden’s border town supermarkets have been hit hard by COVID border closures, since they do a great business selling soda, chocolate and sweets to Norwegians.
That works out at about 0.3p per teaspoon. Doesn't seem like it's enough to justify the crossing tbh

JonasB

That works out at about 0.3p per teaspoon. Doesn't seem like it's enough to justify the crossing tbh
Until recently they also had a "chocolate tax" in Norway on chocolate, sweets and certain bisquits. I was abolished in 2020, but it 2018 it was 36.92 NOK (£3.16) per kg. And while that tax has been abolished, the sugar tax is still there. And when you add alcohol and the general lower price level in Sweden, the border shopping will probably continue. Just like people in the south of Sweden will continue to buy their alcohol in Denmark and Germany.

takno

Established Member
Until recently they also had a "chocolate tax" in Norway on chocolate, sweets and certain bisquits. I was abolished in 2020, but it 2018 it was 36.92 NOK (£3.16) per kg. And while that tax has been abolished, the sugar tax is still there. And when you add alcohol and the general lower price level in Sweden, the border shopping will probably continue. Just like people in the south of Sweden will continue to buy their alcohol in Denmark and Germany.
Oh, for the alcohol and potentially some other taxes I can see it. Going from Germany to Denmark to Sweden to Norway in a matter of days you definitely notice the difference at each stage. In that context the sugar tax just seemed surprisingly cheap.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
The Swedish alcohol monopoly Systembolaget published some fascinating statistics about six months into the pandemic. They saw sales generally increase everywhere due to people drinking at home, but most dramatically in southern Sweden where booze cruises to Denmark and Germany were no longer possible. The border towns with Norway saw big drops in trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.