• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norwich - Barking, valid routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hi All,

Just wanted to check with you all very quickly if I may - as I can't get WebTis to route me via Kings Cross for the journey Norwich to Barking. It's been quite a while since I used the routing guide!

Fares available: Any Permitted SVR at £32.75 or a Route London/Stratford SVR at £35.20. (16-25 Railcard)

Norwich to Barking is valid via LONDON or via maps EA and TS. EA and TS allow into London Group via Ipswich, and then out again via Stratford or the C2C lines.

Norwich to London Group is valid via AB+WA, EA or KE. KE allows Norwich-Ely-Kings Cross. London to Barking is via TS (C2C or from Liv Street and over).

As such, could I use the Any Permitted ticket for a journey Norwich-Ely-Kings Cross-(Fenchurch Street/Liverpool Street)-Barking?

Sadly the Any Permitted doesn't include a cross London transfer, however I fail to see the point of the more expensive route London/Stratford.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
Wouldn't any saving be lost in the cost of the tube jouney and the extra time involved?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'll be breaking my journey in Camden, thus the reason for going via KGX. In any case, the cheapest ticket is the any permitted so there isn't really a saving.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My understanding is that ATOC force the behaviour of booking sites to only offer itineraries between King's Cross and Fenchurch Street by LU, except "From 0001 until 0529"

Between those times, it should be possible to generate itineraries. See attached screenshots, showing an itinerary departing Norwich 2115, for which I specified via Stevenage.

Attachments

• nrw-bkg.png
    nrw-bkg.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 16
  • nrw-bkg2.png
    nrw-bkg2.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 16

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Cheers Yorkie. Couldn't figure why I couldn't get an itinerary, hence my hesitation in just buying the ticket!

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Looking on BRFares, neither route has a cross-London marker so I would hazard a guess the intended routes are something like:

• Norwich - Romford - Upminster - Barking
  • Norwich - Manor Park - Woodgrange Park - Barking
  • Norwich - Forest Gate - Wanstead Park - Barking

Or Norwich - Stratford - Barking (when c2c run that way).

Having said that, WebTIS will quite happily offer the Any Permitted for Norwich - Stratford - West Ham (via the Jubilee or DLR) - Barking.

NRE, Trainline, Loco2, the new VTEC site and the Govia booking engine on the other hand, offer Norwich - Liverpool Street - Fenchurch Street (On Foot!) - Barking for the Any Permitted, and say you need a Norwich - Zone U1234 ticket to use the tube/DLR between Stratford and West Ham.

Is it any wonder that passengers get confused when different booking engines throw up different validity for the same ticket on the same train?

I do, however, concur that Norwich - London is undeniably valid via Ely and Cambridge to Kings Cross, though with no cross-London marker you'd need to obtain a separate ticket for the tube/bus (or use Oyster/Contactless) to get to Fenchurch Street.

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm personally slightly confused by the extra validity gained, or lack thereof, in the route London/Stratford ticket - any ideas?

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Looking at the "Routes" file in the fares data, route Stratford/London explicitly includes Stratford and Liverpool Street...but isn't valid for a cross-London transfer, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on there.

Clip

Established Member
Looking at the "Routes" file in the fares data, route Stratford/London explicitly includes Stratford and Liverpool Street...but isn't valid for a cross-London transfer, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on there.

Im sure this came up before and that it allows you to go to Liv st on a fast service then back out to Stratford or something? Ill hunt for the thread but sounds familiar

PeterC

Established Member
Any local going the other way would simply use Ilford as their railhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.