• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norwich Crown Point carriage wash

Status
Not open for further replies.

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
In all my years of catching trains between Lowestoft and Norwich, I don't think I have ever seen rolling stock going through the carriage wash at Crown Point. At what times during the day does it tend to be used, and does it involve a complex series of shunts, given it's at the end of a siding a fair bit away from the rest of the depot?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dk1

Veteran Member
In all my years of catching trains between Lowestoft and Norwich, I don't think I have ever seen rolling stock going through the carriage wash at Crown Point. At what times during the day does it tend to be used, and does it involve a complex series of shunts, given it's at the end of a siding a fair bit away from the rest of the depot?

It's very straight forward & trains pass through it before entering the depot. Don't understand what you mean by complex shunts. Apart from going round it on the bypass or coming in direct from the Lowestoft direction how else would trains from Norwich station get onto the depot?

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
It's very straight forward & trains pass through it before entering the depot. Don't understand what you mean by complex shunts. Apart from going round it on the bypass or coming in direct from the Lowestoft direction how else would trains from Norwich station get onto the depot?

Ah, I thought it would require use of the shunting locos. Thanks for explaining. :)

dk1

Veteran Member
I would estimate that we put 90% plus of everything entering the depot through it each day. If I'm prepping something that looks as if it needs a wash on the way out as may have missed it coming in then I either ring the signaller at the panel or toot them as I pass giving the washing face action & they start it off for us.

route101

Established Member
I would estimate that we put 90% plus of everything entering the depot through it each day. If I'm prepping something that looks as if it needs a wash on the way out as may have missed it coming in then I either ring the signaller at the panel or toot them as I pass giving the washing face action & they start it off for us.

Do trains require special shampoo ?

dk1

Veteran Member
Do trains require special shampoo ?

Oh don't go there. We are just thankful that water comes out of this ancient piece of equipment sometimes. Amazing that our predominantly white liveried fleet looks so good most of the time externally.

HLE

Established Member
I'll second that one. Was on a GA 156 on a trip out to Yarmouth in May - spotless on the outside.

Now I see why!

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Stuff is generally looked after very well and generally the customer facing staff are a great bunch as well, the 156s are in pretty good nick, been on a couple in the last week or two from Lowestoft.

ash39

Established Member
I've wondered for a while if they use some fairly strong chemicals/shampoo in the wash at Crown Point. If you look at the underframes of the mk3 stock they are often seen to have greeny/blue streaks down them which you don't see on other operators mk3s.

TheEdge

Established Member
I've been showered by whatever the carriage washer sprays out and didn't die, so its not too strong.

To those wondering how we keep our stock looking nice and clean, its handbashing, or as normal people call it, manual cleaning. As part of the normal cleaning cycle of the stock, normally as part of the exams, the stuff is cleaned by hand externally in Crown Point. The exam loco every night is cleaned by hand, the set in maintenance is often cleaned by hand, units are cleaned by hand after they have their exams.

shodkini

A long time ago I worked for a company which formulated, manufactured and marketed vehicle cleaners. For railway vehicles they were generally acidic, something to do with brake dust removal, whereas for buses/trucks they were alkaline. What we sold was typically used at a 1-2% strength, so what was sprayed around was almost harmless.

route101

Established Member
I've been showered by whatever the carriage washer sprays out and didn't die, so its not too strong.

To those wondering how we keep our stock looking nice and clean, its handbashing, or as normal people call it, manual cleaning. As part of the normal cleaning cycle of the stock, normally as part of the exams, the stuff is cleaned by hand externally in Crown Point. The exam loco every night is cleaned by hand, the set in maintenance is often cleaned by hand, units are cleaned by hand after they have their exams.

I see , i had it naively that you didnt need shampoo but just high pressure water .

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Interesting stuff. I've always pondered what to make of the indicators ahead of wash plants, the regular one I see has three options, one of which will be lit:

OFF
WASH
ACID

83G/84D

Established Member
At a depot near me, a good few years ago HST cabs and noses were cleaned by hand using special ladders and brushes to reach the area above the windscreens. The chemical used was quite strong and there were no checks to see if the correct combination of water and chemical was used.

After a period of time the paint started to come off the nose area and a edict was sent out from senior management which resulted in said chemical no longer being used!

TheEdge

Established Member
Interesting stuff. I've always pondered what to make of the indicators ahead of wash plants, the regular one I see has three options, one of which will be lit:

OFF
WASH
ACID

Then on the other hand I've never seen the Crown Point indicator lit up. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.