• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norwich [NRW] -> Sheffield [SHF] (EMT possible strike day, 10th May)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jruston

Hi,

I posted this in another thread by accident so I'll post it here instead.

I'm trying to travel from Norwich --> Sheffield on 10th May using East Midlands Trains and have an advanced ticket direct. According to this page:

http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk...sforpassengersdespitetheindustrialaction.aspx

I'd have to go from Norwich --> Ely --> Peterborough --> Grantham --> Nottingham --> Sheffield. Surely there must be something better than that? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jake.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi,

I've just had a quick look on East Coast's search engine for the 10th May.

Direct trains are running throughout the day, as far as I can see.

The only other options to the direct train, are to take the direct service as far as Peterborough, then head towards Doncaster then down to Sheffield.

This is offered alongside the option of the direct train, which is around 20 minutes slower.

Edit: The strike action isn't on the 10th May, according to your link- just 1st and 3rd. Unless you're travelling on one of these two days, you should be ok as far as I can see.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Hi,

I posted this in another thread by accident so I'll post it here instead.

I'm trying to travel from Norwich --> Sheffield on 10th May using East Midlands Trains and have an advanced ticket direct. According to this page:

http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk...sforpassengersdespitetheindustrialaction.aspx

I'd have to go from Norwich --> Ely --> Peterborough --> Grantham --> Nottingham --> Sheffield. Surely there must be something better than that? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Jake.

If you have an advance ticket, did this not specify the route (and indeed, trains) you should travel on?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The strikes are on the 1st and 3rd of May so you won't be affected - your booked train should be running as scheduled.

Also, facepalm at the URL :roll:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
They will be striking on the 10th but obviously EMT haven't finalized what arrangements to make for that date yet (could be the hope to reach a settlement before the 10th).

See here for list of strike dates.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
They will be striking on the 10th but obviously EMT haven't finalized what arrangements to make for that date yet (could be the hope to reach a settlement before the 10th).

See here for list of strike dates.

Ah OK, I was just looking at the link in OP.

If the strike goes ahead on the 10th, then I would expect changing at Peterborough and Doncaster would be the best route - that's what NRE is suggesting for the 1st and 3rd - but it will depend on which routes aren't running.

syorksdeano

Couldn't you change at Peterborough and then Doncaster? Surely some sort of ticket easement will take place as they are allowing advance ticket holders to travel the day before or the day after

jruston

Couldn't you change at Peterborough and then Doncaster? Surely some sort of ticket easement will take place as they are allowing advance ticket holders to travel the day before or the day after

I'm hoping so but the website doesn't mention anything about it, and I've tried contacting them and they really aren't helpful (they just keep telling me to look at their website). Getting to Peterborough would still require me to change at Ely though as well (since the only way direct from Norwich to Peterborough is East Midlands).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

What is the ticket type printed on your ticket? Does it say "Advance" or something else but you just happen to have bought it in advance?

WillPS

Established Member
As others have said it's not going to be known until closer to the time. It's possible your tickets might be passed on other TOCs in which case it might be better to travel via Doncaster or even London.

Last edited:

jruston

My ticket is an Advance ticket.

I got an e-mail today from EMT and they said that the replacement transport options for 10th May are "going to based on the info from 1st and 3rd May" and that the route from Norwich --> Ely --> Peterborough --> Grantham --> Nottingham --> Sheffield using other TOCs is "the most direct route available".

34D

Established Member
My ticket is an Advance ticket.

I got an e-mail today from EMT and they said that the replacement transport options for 10th May are "going to based on the info from 1st and 3rd May" and that the route from Norwich --> Ely --> Peterborough --> Grantham --> Nottingham --> Sheffield using other TOCs is "the most direct route available".

Am I missing something? Grantham-Nottingham is just EMT isn't it? And Nottingham-Sheffield just EMT apart from the 2-hourly northern service (suppose there is also via Derby)?

Either way, anyone with a cheap advance for a strike day will have a good day out :)

brompton rail

Am I missing something? Grantham-Nottingham is just EMT isn't it? And Nottingham-Sheffield just EMT apart from the 2-hourly northern service (suppose there is also via Derby)?

Either way, anyone with a cheap advance for a strike day will have a good day out :)

According to quotes from EMT on the SYPTE Travel Disruptions page, Sheffield to Peterborough / Norwich on strike days should be Doncaster - Sheffield, and Doncaster - Peterborough etc. However it states you should travel at around your booked time if using Advance tickets.

Therefore, you leave Norwich around your Advanced ticket departure and go via Ely, Peterborough, Doncaster to Sheffield. That journey could be little slower than the original EMT direct service or might even be quicker!

Link. http://http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/disruptions.aspx?id=3727

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.