• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norwich ticket barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
I travelled to Norwich the other day on a Thorpe Bay to Spooner Row SVR routed "Via Norwich". Such tickets continue to provide a source of entertainment for the clerks I buy them from, having never heard of these places.

When I put it through the barriers at Norwich, it said the ticket was not valid at this location.

It seems like a strange oversight to reject such a ticket. Surely the barriers should be set to pass all tickets to, from and via the station they're situated at.

In other news, it looks like I may be increasing the annual passenger numbers to the shack by around 10%.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Strange oversight, yes. Predictable and inexcusable error, yes.

I take it you were able to exit the station without further issue? I know from previous reports here that Norwich can sometimes be a difficult location for a hassle free experience.

razor89

It seems like a strange oversight to reject such a ticket. Surely the barriers should be set to pass all tickets to, from and via the station they're situated at.

As far as I can tell, barriers will only accept tickets to the station for exit and from the station for entry, plus any local zonal/ PTE tickets if they have been added to the system, and valid season tickets. The barriers I've worked on have always rejected through tickets unless they are set to 'accept all' tickets.

Personally I think the barrier lines/ magstripe tickets are not fit for purpose, particularly due to the ease with which the data encoded on the magstripe can be corrupted.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
As far as I can tell, barriers will only accept tickets to the station for exit and from the station for entry, plus any local zonal/ PTE tickets if they have been added to the system, and valid season tickets. The barriers I've worked on have always rejected through tickets unless they are set to 'accept all' tickets.

Surely it depends on the way barriers are programmed, and this varies greatly between stations and TOCs. The barriers at Reading station definitely accept tickets routed "VIA READING", for example.

Personally I think the barrier lines/ magstripe tickets are not fit for purpose, particularly due to the ease with which the data encoded on the magstripe can be corrupted.

Yes, and the tiny amount of information on the stripe anyway, e.g. all you have to identify the ticket type is the first two characters of the CAPRI code.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
This sort of thing happens all the time, especially if you have a more obscure ticket.

I have an annual season between Tattenham Corner and a station north of the Thames. It doesn't even open the barriers in Purley or East Croydon. Staff have always let me through with no issue though.

Established Member
From my experience the Norwich barriers always reject Anglia Day Rovers, but first the ticket usually goes back and forth through the machine about five times before it decides to spit it out!

MichaelAMW

I travelled to Norwich the other day on a Thorpe Bay to Spooner Row SVR routed "Via Norwich". Such tickets continue to provide a source of entertainment for the clerks I buy them from, having never heard of these places.

When I put it through the barriers at Norwich, it said the ticket was not valid at this location.

If it's any consolation, when I pop over that way to see my parents, exactly the same happens when I stick my Nottingham to Norwich tickets in the barrier at... er... Norwich.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I was let through without any problems :)

I find if you have webbed hands or even six fingers on one hand then you normally have no problems getting through any gatelines in Norfolk. That or being related to the barrier staff. :p

Is there any Norfolk blood in you? ;)

I too like to pick two obscure origins/destinations for my travels - my last ticket was Slateford -Widdrington for a Edinburgh - Alnmouth trip. I should have picked Breich.

RJ

Established Member
I find if you have webbed hands or even six fingers on one hand then you normally have no problems getting through any gatelines in Norfolk. That or being related to the barrier staff. :p

Is there any Norfolk blood in you? ;)

I too like to pick two obscure origins/destinations for my travels - my last ticket was Slateford -Widdrington for a Edinburgh - Alnmouth trip. I should have picked Breich.

I have had problems at the Norwich gateline in the past - so it's hit and miss! I don't think I have any Norfolk heritage, though I do have friends living there (temporarily mind) :p

I usually have a practical reason for picking obscure stations - sometimes its necessary to get the best validity for your money.

If it's any consolation, when I pop over that way to see my parents, exactly the same happens when I stick my Nottingham to Norwich tickets in the barrier at... er... Norwich.

(Not) glad I'm not the only one then. That said, when I buy London to Norwich tickets, they tend to be ok. The plot thickens!

Last edited:

Richard1960

The gates at Norwich are very funny they would not acccept my Greater anglia cambridgeshire/Norfolk weekly rail ranger season ticket, But then again none of the management seem to have seen that ticket either even the ticket office staff had not seen one! Issued to me at Cambridge.

Passenger focus are still looking into that one.;);)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Think again, there are 2 (sometimes 3) travelers daily.

That depends on:

- how many tickets they buy
- how many tickets RJ has bought

Seeing as 'they' only bought tickets to generate 264 entries and exits last year, I'd say RJ won't be far off.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I once bought Rufford to Briech :p

Status
Not open for further replies.