• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norwich to Deansgate in late June

Status
Not open for further replies.

ge-gn

Apologies for asking people to predict the future, but I am eager to get a cheap return fare from Norwich to Deansgate in late June.

These tickets aren't on sale yet, but I am wondering if I should focus my attention on the direct EMT route, or the GA/VT route via London, given there is little time benefit between the two.

Which is likely to be the cheapest? Or is it like trying to predict how long a piece of string will be?

The dates are 29/6 & 30/6.

Thanks in adv.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
EMT normally requires splitting tickets at Nottingham and/or Ely to get a sensible price, whereas VT’s cheapest “VT&Connections” fares are quite reasonable, normally plenty at around £25 outside the peaks. More pleseant journey too.

Veteran Member
Apologies for asking people to predict the future, but I am eager to get a cheap return fare from Norwich to Deansgate in late June.

These tickets aren't on sale yet, but I am wondering if I should focus my attention on the direct EMT route, or the GA/VT route via London, given there is little time benefit between the two.

Which is likely to be the cheapest? Or is it like trying to predict how long a piece of string will be?

The dates are 29/6 & 30/6.

Thanks in adv.

Normally the simplest way to find out is to check for the nearest available Friday/Saturday. However, as the new timerable is not fully loaded yet, you may have to be patient.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Taking 4th/5th May as an example, Trainsplit will sell you a return journey departing outward at 1057 and returning 1251 for a grand total of £78.16, which involves a single change at Manchester Piccadilly on the outward (and three tickets, "splitting" at Peterborough and Manchester) and changing at Piccadilly, Euston & Liverpool Street on the return (one through fare).

If you want to force a particular route (or even a change of trains, or additional interchange time), you can do this (either applying to both legs or independently for the outward & return legs).

bunnahabhain

Established Member
(and three tickets, "splitting" at Peterborough and Manchester)
Splitting in Manchester? Deansgate is part of the Manchester Stations group so a Manchester Piccadilly to Deansgate ticket wouldn't be required?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Splitting in Manchester? Deansgate is part of the Manchester Stations group so a Manchester Piccadilly to Deansgate ticket wouldn't be required?
On an EMT only ticket?

It won't be checked and the barriers will probably accept it, but it's not technically valid.

The return leg is a through fare as it's a 'VTWC &CONNECTNS' ticket.

Veteran Member
On an EMT only ticket?

It won't be checked and the barriers will probably accept it, but it's not technically valid.

Book to Oxford Road and taking the free no.2 bus to the nearest relevant stop, depending on actual destination? Or just walk?

bunnahabhain

Established Member
On an EMT only ticket?

Yes I suppose so, but then given the closeness of the stations I'd just advise folk to alight at Oxford Road and walk from there, I've done it in little over 3 minutes before.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Fine if you’re able bodied, don’t have luggage and the weather’s nice, not fine if you have luggage and/or it’s p*ssing down, as it often does.

For some, the convenience factor alone is worth an extra quid or two.

ge-gn

Thank you for all the above advice.

Does Train Split look for all available routes automatically, or do I have to force it as Yorkie says?

Also, am I best to search Manchester Stations, rather than Deansgate?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Trainsplit has buttons at the top to tailor your search; "Fast" will return the fastest journeys but the other two options will show any alternatives it finds. If you click "intensive search" it will look to see if even slower alternatives are cheaper.

You do not 'have to force it', unless you want to.

You can force via points (including calling at and changing at) and avoid points (including don't call at and don't change at) , force only specific operators, or exclude specific operators, etc if you have any particular requirements.

Yes if you are happy to potentially use alternative means of doing the short distance between Piccadilly/Oxford Road and Deansgate, book to one of these, and it won't sell an additional ticket if one would be needed to reach Deansgate by rail. But if you get a ticket that is valid for use on trains to/from Deansgate, you still can do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.