• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Norwich to York, return Fri 30 May.

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hi All,

Just found out that I need to get to and from York from Norwich on Friday 30th May. Arriving before 1100 and leaving at 1600/1700.

1 Adult with Disabled Persons Railcard.

I would normally plan this sort of trip myself however I'm a bit bogged under with work at the moment, if you've any suggestions please do let me know!

Splits, AP, abnormal routings etc welcome.

Cheers,

TP

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
A through ticket is normally cheapest. However, it may - depending on quotas - be cheaper to split at Peterborough.

I know that without looking because I know of a couple who make this journey regularly, and they required help dealing with the evil RPSS after an encounter with you-know-who.

Yes, EC's most notorious guard hates people making this journey with a split at PBO (Norwich-Peterborough-York combo ticket problem), but he's under instructions not to penalise passengers for late running trains these days :D

Romilly

Established Member
Prices for through Advances on the East Coast website (with railcard discount and any on-line discount) are currently:

Outward:

N 0550 Y 0851 £16.80

N 0651 Y 1032 £27.50

N 0757 Y 1052 £22.00

Return:

Y 1601 N 1915 £27.50

Y 1731 N 2041 £27.50

Y 1801 N 2113 £27.50

With separate advances for Norwich-Peterborough and Peterborough-York

N 0550 Y 0851 £3.30 + £12.30 = £15.60

N 0550 Y 0925 £3.30 + £9.30 = £12.60

N 0651 Y 1032 £3.30 + £20.50 = £23.80

N 0757 Y 1052 £5.30 + £16.15 = £21.45

and

Y 1601 N 1915 £16.15 + £7.90 = £24.05

Y 1801 N 2113 £16.15 + £7.90 = £24.05

For non-Advance tickets, I cannot see anything cheaper than a through Anytime Return at £76.55.

Johnny_w

A through ticket is normally cheapest. However, it may - depending on quotas - be cheaper to split at Peterborough.

I know that without looking because I know of a couple who make this journey regularly, and they required help dealing with the evil RPSS after an encounter with you-know-who.

Yes, EC's most notorious guard hates people making this journey with a split at PBO (Norwich-Peterborough-York combo ticket problem), but he's under instructions not to penalise passengers for late running trains these days :D

Hi Yorkie.

I have to ask..... how would anyone know?

For the EC Guard I'm just a bloke who bordes as Peterborough going to York?

Just for my own curiosity and titillation sir!

JW

Romilly

Established Member
Presumably because the train from Norwich was running sufficiently late for you to miss your booked train from Peterborough to York and therefore you have to explain to the guard why you are travelling, with an Advance ticket that makes no mention of the Norwich to Peterborough leg, on a train later than the one you are booked on.

Johnny_w

Presumably because the train from Norwich was running sufficiently late for you to miss your booked train from Peterborough to York and therefore you have to explain to the guard why you are travelling, with an Advance ticket that makes no mention of the Norwich to Peterborough leg, on a train later than the one you are booked on.

Good point. damn.

Now I'm worried as I'm doing SMK to Hartlepool split at PBO & YORK on Saturday coming back sunday.

Oh well. I'll worry about it if it happens.

Thanks.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi Yorkie.

I have to ask..... how would anyone know?

For the EC Guard I'm just a bloke who bordes as Peterborough going to York?

Just for my own curiosity and titillation sir!

JW
If your train from Norwich is sufficiently late, and you've 'split' at Peterborough, then your Peterborough to York Advance isn't valid on its own as you've missed the train!

But, providing you allowed sufficient interchange, you may hold "two or more tickets for one journey", and by showing all the tickets for your journey, you're valid "on the next available train(s) to complete your journey".

In the incident referred to above, zzip00 was correctly advised not to worry about the delay by Greater Anglia staff. However an infamous EC Guard decided to ignore the PTUs (Pricing & Ticketing Updates) provided by his Company which clarified that passengers should not be penalised on combinations of tickets. He made some utterly wrong claims, and issued a UFN (unpaid fare notice). RPSS (a spineless debt collection agency) pursued the passengers for payment of the Anytime fare.

zzip00 sought advice on MSE (MoneySavingExpert), where several knowledgeable people said to pay up, but I then met zzip00 at a local pub and made a few contacts with relevant (and helpful!) people, and the UFN was withdrawn. EC issued a further reminder in a subsequent PTU. However the Guard in question has caused several other forum members a lot of hassle, so EC's disciplinary procedures are clearly woefully inadequate.

Since then, the situation was further clarified for all Train Companies in the 'Advance Fare FAQ' (a copy of which is available in our Fares Guide) which makes it clear combinations are allowed.

Furthermore, several more appalling incidents of passengers charged ludicrous sums resulted in ATOC finally giving into DfT pressure, and anyone who is on the wrong train on the advance and whose train isn't delayed, is only charged the appropriate fare, not the full fare.

Therefore passengers such as transportphoto can safely split at Peterborough (which generally does save money; thanks to Romilly for providing some comparisons and confirming this!) without having any worries about the possible actions of EC's most notorious Guards.

Rest assured, he's still out there, looking for people (particularly rail staff, as it happens, and especially if they work for TPE apparently!) to catch out, using his own 'unique' interpretation of the NRCoC and Routeing Guides, but as much as he'd like to, I don't think he'll be charging people in zzip00's situation again.

Ironically, the day after I met zzip00 and resolved their incorrect charge, you can guess who my guard was on the train to London that morning... it was so, so, tempting to say something, but of course I didn't.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Good point. damn.

Now I'm worried as I'm doing SMK to Hartlepool split at PBO & YORK on Saturday coming back sunday.

Oh well. I'll worry about it if it happens.

Thanks.
You don't need to worry.

The 'battle' has already been 'won'!

If you want further re-assurances about "splitting", check out the PDF attachment at the bottom of the 1.1.3 Advance Tickets post in our Fares Guide.

The East Coast PTUs can be found in this FOI request; without checking and from memory, a reminder was sent in maybe June or July 2011, which was ignored by zzip00's Guard, and a further reminder was issued in August or September 2011 (clearly in reference to the incident in question).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Edit: it's been pointed out to me that there is still a small possibility of a passenger being incorrectly charged when splitting, however I am confident - providing sufficient interchange was allowed - of overturning any such charges, and I am happy to proof read a letter and provide assistance in such an event.

When I said "the battle was won" I don't mean that there is a guarantee of all staff allowing people travel in such an event, but that I would be absolutely confident of recovering an such charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.