• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nostalgia from the 'Noughties'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Seems fitting that I'm starting this thread off while I listen to some music nostalgia, although it's a bit cheesy so I'm not going into that! Only those who know me very well at all will have any clues, if they can remember my YouTube viewing history...<D

Anyway, while I wait for Sony Movie Studio Platinum to do its thing and finally get some more video clips imported from a DVD I had done from my old 8mm camcorder tapes, I couldn't help but post this thread after reviewing just some of the footage so far. I'm in a really nostalgic mood at the moment as it is, as I've not been able to get out and about on the rails lately. Getting sent down Memory Lane recently for completely non-rail reasons (but let's not go there...) has seen me enjoy the benefits of a little over 10 years of railway nostalgia too. So here we go, that's the backstory to the origins of this thread so let's talk nostalgia from the so-called 'Noughties' :D

I'm not sure if this is 2004 or 2005 on my 8mm tapes, I have no records to indicate which it was, and eventually there will be uploads to YouTube to go with this thread, but a non-exhaustive list so far:

Alphaline liveried Wales and Borders and Wessex Trains 158s
Wessex Trains and their colourful liveries on 150s and 153s
Central Trains
FGW's 'Flying Fag Packet' livery
FGW's revised 'Barbie' livery, probably my favourite of all HST liveries ever, or at the least the one I'm most familiar with
Valenta-ised HSTs
Midland Mainline
Early days of 222s
The 'mm's bar on MML
Godfrey Road, Newport
Ginsters liveried 158s

No doubt plenty to come along later too, but oh the memories! Recording a Passenger Eye View (no doubt heart-of-wessex will remember those!), for which I assume it was to show the route at the time. Can't honestly remember, found one from Derby to Long Eaton on 222008 when it was still virtually brand new. Then of course there was the teal livery on MML, and still Valentas running in their HSTs. Think it's 43053 making an enormous racket leaving Leicester for London on my footage so far <D Oh yes, I do remember my HST bashing days fondly, been nearly 4 years since I packed that in :o

Of course, Godfrey Road is long gone and I remember too well keenly looking through the window on a journey passing through or trying each and every way possible to get my 66s ticked off. Even managed a 37 I needed once! Standing on the Cardiff end of the platforms at Newport watching stuff going into and out of there, doubt I've got a LoadHaul 37 growling loudly into Godfrey Road on tape but that was a fun sight for my very tired state after a multi-day trip with no sleep <D Talking of that, nostalgia for me definitely with many trips on the overnight trip to/from Fishguard Harbour out of/into Swansea. Of course, that was back when it was hard to get the line done with just the overnight and lunchtime trip getting it in, unlike today where there's a significant number of trains going up the branch. Remember rather too well getting a stinking headache from 150281 on that overnight once, was glad to bail at Swansea for the HST on the ridiculous-o-clock to Paddington!

heart-of-wessex will remember it better than me, indeed I still need the dates for it, but me, him and one other nutter were in South Wales and we all got the Maesteg branch done on a 142, then came over to Swansea for tea from Pizza Hut before doing a single 153 on a Swansea to Milford Haven in the late evening. Then it was off it at Johnston for the station grice, back to Clarbeston Road (ensuring the guard got in touch with the driver of the Fishguard train to stop for us!) to get a 158 to Fishguard, for the same 158 back to Carmarthen where we did a thriller filler to Tesco and me scaring the living daylights into the other nutter during the walk, coming back for the 153 at absolutely-insane-o-clock on its own up to Shrewsbury via the Heart of Wales line. I did that all the way to Shrewsbury on the ex-FNW 153, the other two leaving me behind as they were on ALRs if memory serves correctly, so I came back on it all the way to Swansea dossing almost all the way. Need to get the numbers and dates from heart-of-wessex!

He'll no doubt also recall the beast of a bash that was the trip to Dublin in December 2004, and me telling him not to forget his passport in case it was needed on the ferry. Only for me to forget it and remembering on the HST from Cardiff to Swansea! Plans were made to do London instead if I couldn't do the ferry, but we sure could do it and it made a change to go to Fishguard with a purpose (as I lived in Swansea at the time, I would often do the overnight to Fishguard to avoid the more expensive taxi at screw-it-he's mad-o-clock. A bus into town and the return to Fishguard was a significant amount cheaper than a taxi at half 3 in the morning!) :lol: Then we had the 2700 Class trio to Dublin, with the constant horn soundings over crossings waking us out of a deep sleep. So tired were we the trolley guy was assumed to be a gripper! :lol: Then of course I left my bag on the train which was thankfully recovered quickly. I could go on and on and on...

Finally for now, the other bit of nostalgia that comes to mind is when the 175s first came down to the Marches line, and the step change in quality they brought with them. I remember once having one from Cardiff to Hereford on a Holyhead service and the at-seat radio thing was still working. Some tune came on and I had wanted to carry onto Holyhead! Oh yeah, and of course who could forget the clockface timetable we got on the Marches, finally no need to miss a train because you didn't have a timetable on you!

Ahhhhhh, memories! Disclaimer: Your experience may differ!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
I only have a few pieces of railway nostalgia so far, probably because I wasn't a rail enthusiast in the early and mid 00s. It'll probably grow in time!

* (90s rather than 00s) The NSE clock at Windsor & Eton Central station that terrified me.
* Wessex Trains-liveried 158s (which I only usually saw in the rare occurrence of my 1620 to Waterloo from Salisbury being late) and 153s (if I was early, I'd see the 1606 - does anyone know what the destination of this would have been? For some reason Romsey sticks in my head but I'm almost sure it isn't).
* North entrance being open at Salisbury
* Black (or blue?) -on-white station signs with the SWT colours rather than those hard-to-read white on blue Network Rail standard ones.
* Pre-contrasting-doors SWT 158/159 liveries (I actually prefer the contrasting door liveries!)
* SWT Turbostars (always thought they looked so nice, then actually got on one to find it less comfortable than a 158/159)
* E-motion (?) magazine on SWT (weird how much I miss that)

telstarbox

Established Member
I can remember:
Hatfield crash (and the delays for a long time afterwards)
Potters Bar crash
Three or four corporate liveries on the South East franchise
507s running on the Medway Valley and Tonbridge-Redhill lines
375s replacing slammers in Kent, which was a huge change inside and out!
Eurostars on the South East Main Line
Charing Cross and Waterloo Solari boards, now gone
St Pancras during the restoration, and the Eurostar move
My first long-distance solo rail trip (Yatton-Paddington-Charing Cross-Staplehurst, also my first HST trip)
Going on a Pendo for the first time with Elgar tickets purchased over the internet - very modern
And free teas on Midland Mainline on trips to Loughborough and Sheffield!

Last edited:

Eng274

- The 'Whoosh' livery on FSR DMUs.
- Doing a double take the first time I saw a SWT liveried 158 at Haymarket.
- Sprinting towards a class 150 on Edinburgh - Fife outer circle (always on platform 18 when you're running late...!) and having no barriers to contend with.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Oh aye, 150s in Scotland, boy that's an era long gone. Remember doing 150284 from Edinburgh to Newcraighall and then from Newcraighall to Larbert in November 2004 on a Welsh-Anglo-Scottish meet. Not sure if that was organised through this forum now, or TTF. That alone is a bit of nostalgia!

Birdbrain

-158's on Cornwall stopping trains, ah those were the days ;)
- 50's to Fishguard
- 37's to Rhymney
- 31's on Brighton-Cardiff
Slam Doors on the Southern.

Techniquest

Veteran Member

Managed to get one of those a couple of times, most bizarre but funky too :)

- 50's to Fishguard

Only did it once, en-route to Wexford, but it wasn't a lively performance <(

- 37's to Rhymney

Oh yes, enjoyed those a good few times, and had some brilliant performances from 37s on Fishguards too :D

Bleedin' nora, forgot completely about that! And 31s to Weymouth too :)

Oh yes, it's not exactly the same down on the Southern Region now is it. Least back then if you were on an all-stations along the West Coastway, you weren't inundated with lots of 'bing bong' 'Welcome to the Southern service to Portsmouth Harbour' 'You are in coach number 4 of 4' every few minutes!

Temple Meads

Established Member
Unfortunately I'm a bit too young to have properly appreciated Valenta's, same with the end of "normal" loco-hauled services to the South West, however, I do remember the following:

FGW Class 142's on short hops, always great fun :lol:
Virgin Class 57's being stabled at Exeter in bad weather to save Voyagers from a watery caping at Dawlish.
Phil Sayer and "This is xxxxxxx, the train now standing at Platform x is the", announcements.
Voyagers having names, and somehow being a lot more interesting because of it, I do vividly remember "Marco Polo" haunting me for years!
Getting almost daily Class 60's to Devon :o
Child fares, and also my hatred of confrontation causing me great stress at ticket checks due to being under 16 yet looking a lot older.

I could find a lot more...

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Arriva taking over the Wales and Borders franchise.
I am sure it was much more gradual than what I remember (I was only around 11 years old), but I went on holiday and it seemed like before I went everything had the old valley lines livery, and afterwards everything had the ATW livery.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That only happened on Fridays in 2004, lunchtime ish I think from Temple Meads to Brighton it was. Only did it once in October 2004, can't remember any loco IDs or whatever as I didn't make proper notes back then.

In case it didn't work, I was replying about 31s to Brighton. Not used to using the forum for anything but reading yet on my phone!

Last edited:

Drsatan

Established Member
That only happened on Fridays in 2004, lunchtime ish I think from Temple Meads to Brighton it was. Only did it once in October 2004, can't remember any loco IDs or whatever as I didn't make proper notes back then.

In case it didn't work, I was replying about 31s to Brighton. Not used to using the forum for anything but reading yet on my phone!

I traveled on that service in September or October 2004. To the best of my knowledge the service was typically formed of two 31s top and tailing a rake of Mk2s. Both 31s and the Mk2s were hired from Fragonset, and by 2005 the Mk2s used on this service (and the occasional loco-hauled service from Temple Meads to Weymouth) were painted in Wessex Trains livery, as was one of the 31s.

I also remember traveling on an overcrowded 158 in August 2001 on a Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance semi-fast operated by Wales and West. The reason for the overcrowding, I believe, was because of a special offer on Wales and West services that day similar to the Great Escape on LM. Regardless of the cause of the overcrowding, passengers were left behind at Plymouth.

Speaking of 158s, can anyone remember the Wales and West 158 painted in an experimental livery?

David

Established Member
- 50's to Fishguard
- 37's to Rhymney

Did you not do the 50s down the Marches at all? IIRC correctly, is was around about the same time as they were doing the Fishguard run. Yorkie or Techniquest should remember, as they were on at least 1 of the trips....

Seems fitting that I'm starting this thread off while I listen to some music nostalgia, although it's a bit cheesy so I'm not going into that! Only those who know me very well at all will have any clues, if they can remember my YouTube viewing history...<D

You can turn the Vengaboys off now ;) :P :lol:

Established Member
A few bits of nostalgia from me:
  • Midland Mainline Teal & Tangerine Livery and their Turbostars.
  • Project Rio to Manchester
  • Central Trains' crazy long distance services (like Shrewsbury to Lincoln etc.)
  • The old St Pancras - before CTRL
  • Class 150s, Mark 2s and 86s on Anglia
  • GNER
  • My first trip on a Pendolino

rmt4ever

GNER how I miss them and their full restaurant service and very elegantly styled wine glasses and hi-ball's, and the good ole cup n saucer.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
I don't remember much but I remember the old Merseyrail trains that had the old livery that looked like the old Monarch airlines.

AndyLandy

Established Member
That striking black & red Virgin livery on their HSTs.
Virgin Value advance fares that really were cheap (£6 Southampton-Crewe)
Lots of stock still running around in BR liveries.
Wales & West.
Single-car 153s on Southampton-Bristol services.
The SWT livery that was just NSE with a different coloured stripe.
Slam doors and compartment stock on the SWML.
4tph Southampton to London.
442s where they belonged. With that awesome buffet car seating area.
Pink Class 31s hauling the Wessex Trains Mk2 rake.
Transpennine 158s at Southampton Central.
Connex.
National Express franchises. So many NX franchises!
158s and 170s on Liverpool-Birmingham and beyond.
SWT running 159s and 170s in formations.
CrossCountry services that called at Hartford.

Last edited:

craig87034

For me the bashing highlights of 'the noughties' were

87's ruling the West Coast Mainline
my many WSMR trips
and skips during the summer of 2004 skips on cross country turns

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Two notable recollections for me are:

- arriving at Kings Cross (from Newcastle) round about my scheduled time to leave ,during the winter of 2000/01, when hundreds of Emergency Speed Restrictions of 25mph or even slower, and lots of coloured aerosol paint, were applied to track all over the country following the 'cracked rail' scandal of the Hatfield disaster.

- seeing Voyagers at Brighton station.

Oh, and one more:

- the realisation of that wonderful vision of the 1990's, named after its decade, : Thameslink 2000
(It might as well have been called 'Thameslink 2020').

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That striking black & red Virgin livery on their HSTs.
Virgin Value advance fares that really were cheap (£6 Southampton-Crewe)

Oh yes to both of those, loved that livery and just the words 'Virgin' and 'Value' together have me grinning like a Cheshire cat. Oh the memories of Summer Saturday Holidaymaker trips to Newquay. Or at least various sectors of that route!

Wales & West.
Single-car 153s on Southampton-Bristol services.

Oh yes to both again, seriously good memories there :)

Pink Class 31s hauling the Wessex Trains Mk2 rake.
Transpennine 158s at Southampton Central.

Oh yes, although there was nowt wrong with 31454 in IC Swallow colours hauling the Wessex Trains MK2s to be fair. TPX 158s, thank you good Sir for giving me as good an excuse as any other to share this photo I found earlier...

158778 at Trowbridge on a Westbury stopping service by 43002, on Flickr

Yes it's not at Soton Central, but that'll do for now!

158s and 170s on Liverpool-Birmingham and beyond

Never went to Liverpool on a 170, did several of them down that way though. Which reminds me of the time I did one and we overtook an 87 heading north as we left Stafford, we were staring at the 87 and saw the driver looking at our 170 with a "Oh that can't be allowed!" look on his face. A matter of moments later, maybe 30 seconds or so, he accelerated well away, with just enough time for me to see the huge grin on his face! Ahhh, memories...

158 wise there, I had one with CT all the way from Nottingham to Cardiff Central cramped up in an airline seat. Huge difference to the half empty 170 I had from Cardiff to Nottingham that morning, which I think was the only time I've ever done that freight only line to Stenson Junction, and one of only maybe 3 or 4 times I've gone over a 10mph or less TSR.

I have read all of the recent posts, although I don't miss GNER. Sorry but my dislike of them is probably still well known to some people on this forum!

87015: Oh yes, I had forgotten about that time period. I was also gutted that it never seemed to work out well for me and my trains/buses home, but I had 87006 on the 1651 from Euston once. One of only two 87s I've ever had into New Street knowingly (could have had 86s even on leaps to/from International when I was a youngster, I wouldn't know and STILL need an 86!), the other being 033 on a completely different diagram from what I can remember ages before 006. And those headcodes may not mean much to me, agreed as I don't often remember headcodes. But here's one for the HST cranks,

1V29.

0720 Manchester Piccadilly to Newquay :D

1M28

1522 Newquay to Manchester Piccadilly :D

Let's see, what else am I forgetting? Glad someone brought up Voyagers to Brighton, I was on the final working into and out of there with AXC, seems like such a long time ago now! I'd try and share a photo, but they were on my Photobucket account if memory serves and I can't remember the details for that, and they are yet to be uploaded to Flickr, just like a good few hundred photos!

Let's see, nostalgia for me then, I'm going to jump straight back to 2008 and start at Cardiff with the 0400 to Manchester Piccadilly, to then bail at Abergavenny for a Paddington via Evesham, then to Cardiff and back, over to Swansea and back then finally to Swansea via Bath and a reversal at Bristol Parkway and via Ninian Park IIRC. That was a long day (started off at 0400, got to the end around 0220 the next day!) with 43002 but I'd definitely do it again! Still, t'was the end of an era for me :cry: Other stuff, let's see I think it was 2007 when I did the Highland Chieftain throughout with another forum member. Not got it in my RailMiles logs annoyingly, I keep finding stuff missing and I can't find paper notes for that trip <( Let's see, hmm...

2008 and the so-called "The Last Summer Of Fun" for HST cranks, with the end afterwards of hired-in HSTs with proper noise going on. Which reminds me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8KVrYYgMw8 - 43054 and 43058 York to Newquay,12th August 2006 Part 1 <D

I think that'll do for now! Well, after sharing this link to some nostalgia videos of mine:

http://www.railwayforum.tv/action/videolist/uservideolist/?user_id=446

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
1]Central Trains - the "Yarmouth to Barmouth Railway"

2] Incredible through journeys by 153s or 158s from Skegness to Manchester Airport; Aberystwyth to Grimsby; and even a green-liveried 170 from Skegness to Cardiff!

3]Problems with shortage of drivers on a Saturday evening, particularly affecting the Crewe-Nottingham service, with regular rail-replacement coaches from the Horse Landing adjacent platform 12, and along the A50/A52.

On one occasion at Crewe there were no coaches available:-
"Go via Birmingham" I was advised at Crewe enquiry office.
"Won't that be a problem with my North-Wales-Nottingham ticket?" I asked.
"At this time of night you could show them a bus ticket and they wouldn't object"
So I went that way, and my ticket was not inspected.

On another occasion, the coach did run but was very delayed and the arrival in Nottingham was way past its scheduled time and too late for my last connection [at 2051] to Heckington. So Central Trains provided a free taxi service for the last 46 miles!

Interesting times.

theblackwatch

Established Member
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the ATN Class 37s which ran from Knaresborough-Leeds and Leeds-Carlisle. No chance of being able to board a Class 37 hauled service train and find you're the only passenger on it nowadays!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
There are some youngsters on here!

I find it very difficult to be nostalgic about a recent time period when we travelled around on almost the same trains as today but, get this, they were painted slightly different!

At home I would be travelling on the self same pacer I did 10 years ago and did 10 years before that. If I took the train to London I would travel on the self same train that I did 10 years ago, 20 years ago and indeed 30 years ago.

In fact this mornings train from my current home to London was formed by the same stock that I would have got if I made that journey 20 years ago. Nostalgia? PAH! ;)

Last edited:

When I was 17 the Western region used to run mystery tours from Paddington on Summer Sundays. As a result of this I have spent many happy hours on class 117 DMU's from West Drayton to Manchester, Liverpool and the east coast.

Happy days.

bicbasher

Established Member
The only thing I can really say that was anything different in the noughties, especially in the early noughties were slammers on the peak services from London Bridge to Forest Hill. which were replaced by 319s.

Otherwise it was 455/456s that I'd commute on, some still with NSE or Connex livery. There was also SouthCentral branding inside the cars when GoVia took over Connex's remaining time of their franchise before getting their own as Southern.

Status
Not open for further replies.