• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Not a good afternoon for south west trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailey65

There has just been a report of a person hit by a train at richmond so nothing can move and signal problems between vauxhall and waterloo it is going to be a challenging rush hour today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Line problem: at Richmond.
Owing to a person hit by a train at Richmond all lines are blocked. Train services through this station may be subject to disruption on all routes at short notice. An estimate for the resumption of normal services will be provided as soon as the problem has been fully assessed.

Additional Information:
London Underdground will pass South West Trains customers any reasonable route.
First Great Western will pass South West Trains customers between Paddington and Reading including Windsor Central.
London Buses will also accept in the local area.

ushawk

Established Member
SWT website has said the 15.50 Waterloo to Reading service was involved with the incident at Richmond - thoughts to the victims family, rail staff and emergency services.

cjohnson

Another one - my train ex-Reading-Waterloo just suddenly stopped between Mortlake and Barnes; guard going to front to check on the driver.

tgsh2011

Yep, NRE and SWT Twitter feeds now reporting another passenger hit, this time at Mortlake!

cjohnson

BTP on the way with replacement driver. Guard keeping us up to date every 5 mins or so. Let's hope no one decides to prize open doors and walk to Barnes...

tsr

Established Member
Unfortunately, NRE's Current Disruptions section is somewhat confused between the Mortlake and Richmond incidents, thinking they are the same thing. I totally understand that staff are under pressure, but the details given are slightly misleading.

I am sorry to hear of two such incidents.

wintonian

Established Member
They were lucky that todays bomb scare at Winchester crown court didn't extend to them closing the line.

cjohnson

Guard has just informed passengers to "please stay on the train"..... I do wonder whether saying that will plant ideas into some passengers heads though :/

cjohnson

SWT man in high-viz talking in vague terms about our train being "used" for something at the incident site if we reverse back at Mortlake crossing? He said he couldn't discuss exactly what he meant, very odd.

wintonian

Established Member
SWT man in high-viz talking in vague terms about our train being "used" for something at the incident site if we reverse back at Mortlake crossing? He said he couldn't discuss exactly what he meant, very odd.

Coupling you up to the involved train to move it as the driver will have been relived?

cjohnson

My mistake- we hadn't reached Mortlake crossing. Have just moved on and now stopped on the crossing- not sure why?

tsr

Established Member
My mistake- we hadn't reached Mortlake crossing. Have just moved on and now stopped on the crossing- not sure why?

Perhaps that was the best way for the victim to be transferred to an ambulance, should they have ended up in some way trapped in the underside of the train.

(That's really the most sensitive way I can put that - I apologise if that's a little crude for some, but I have no other concise way of making that suggestion.)

cjohnson

Perhaps that was the best way for the victim to be transferred to an ambulance, should they have ended up in some way trapped in the underside of the train.

(That's really the most sensitive way I can put that - I apologise if that's a little crude for some, but I have no other concise way of making that suggestion.)

Ok that makes sense, thanks. Understandable why the high-vis guys didn't want to elaborate. Train terminated at Barnes due to damage then a Waterloo service waiting for us there. Lines all now open again.

wintonian

Established Member
The emergency services I expect would refer to it as gaining access to casualty for treatment/ extraction.

tsr

Established Member
Ok that makes sense, thanks. Understandable why the high-vis guys didn't want to elaborate. Train terminated at Barnes due to damage then a Waterloo service waiting for us there. Lines all now open again.

The emergency services I expect would refer to it as gaining access to casualty for treatment/ extraction.

I should add that my explanation, and any alternative way of putting it, may make sense, but I was not at the incident site (fortunately) and therefore I do not know exactly what happened.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Not actually hit- train stopped in time. Power was off though whilst trespass was dealt with.

tsr

Established Member
Not actually hit- train stopped in time. Power was off though whilst trespass was dealt with.

That sounds very fortunate. NRE still thinks the person was hit, though. When I saw that delays of "only" 30 minutes were estimated, I did think that somehow it can't have been a KSI incident.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
That sounds very fortunate. NRE still thinks the person was hit, though. When I saw that delays of "only" 30 minutes were estimated, I did think that somehow it can't have been a KSI incident.

Somewhat confused by well placed relaibale people on twitter- though I can see why someone on the track may require paramedics even if they haven't been hit (if for example it was a jumper from a platform, that's a fair way to fall).

tsr

Established Member
Somewhat confused by well placed relaibale people on twitter- though I can see why someone on the track may require paramedics even if they haven't been hit (if for example it was a jumper from a platform, that's a fair way to fall).

I would hope that in most cases the injuries from a medium-distance fall like that would be easier to treat than if you have had a significant current passing through you - or if you had been struck by hundreds of tons of metal at speed! That said, you can get nasty head, limb and spinal injuries from falling that distance.

Often, NRE displays these sorts of incidents as "emergency services dealing with an incident" - this can perhaps be less informative, but is essentially more likely to be accurate.

bailey65

Though i don't touch social networking with a barge pole i wouldn't imagine twitter being that reliable source of information however well intentioned posts might be a lot is heresay and exaggeration and just peoples sensationalism and gossip and is more likely to lead to confusion after an incident than any semblance of accuracy i personally use the more reliable sources like network rails website.

Though i don't touch social networking with a barge pole i wouldn't imagine twitter being that reliable source of information however well intentioned posts might be a lot is heresay and exaggeration and just peoples sensationalism and gossip and is more likely to lead to confusion after an incident than any semblance of accuracy i personally use the more reliable sources like network rails website.

NRE do post delays on Twitter. I think that 's quite useful, for those who are commuters etc?

ushawk

Established Member
SWT Twitter said the person was injured but still alive as well, tweets from non-official sources are just rumours to me.

tsr

Established Member

The official accounts of TOCs, NRE (and their various sub-accounts) and NR themselves are often useful sources of information. In addition, numerous consistent and coherent eyewitness reports can, on occasion, give a good picture of the situation - sometimes literally, should image sharing be used.

There are plenty of uses for Twitter - both good and bad, official and unofficial - but I agree that a reasonable part of the general public's use is indeed gossip and quite possibly sensationalism!

SWT Twitter said the person was injured but still alive as well, tweets from non-official sources are just rumours to me.

I would agree with you there. Off topic; but there have been, two instances, recently (on Twitter), where rumours became "fact". Someone misunderstood an American news report. They posted that Margaret Thatcher had died. In fact, a namesake, had died in an accident. The other involved Fidel Castro. That was also untrue.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
There's a few staff (drivers and guards), especially (I've noticed) at SWT that management are well aware of- that tweet, and are a useful addition to the official account, especially in times of disruption- they're sometimes able to help the official account.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.